Any reason to go 5DIV over R5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
eyesofscars0311 Regular Member • Posts: 118
Any reason to go 5DIV over R5?

Confused. Like everyone else I want to love the R5 but....I don't know.

I mean once you get to a certain threshold of image quality does it even matter? I would think 5DIV is already there.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Neuropsychology
Neuropsychology Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Any reason to go 5DIV over R5?

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I mean once you get to a certain threshold of image quality does it even matter? I would think 5DIV is already there.

Depends on your needs/intended use scenario.  However, consider the Eos R; it has a very similar sensor to the 5dIV and is 1700 dollars.  Also, you have an rf mount camera so you can have an excuse to buy new lenses.

Neuropsychology's gear list:Neuropsychology's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +15 more
OP eyesofscars0311 Regular Member • Posts: 118

I hike a lot, I worry about things going electric and losing its mechanical stoutness to them.

I don't know, maybe I am just trying to justify a cheaper purchase.

Tony Defriez Regular Member • Posts: 192

Well you have to look at your needs and the camera as a whole not just the pixel count ;

• Do you do excessive cropping (high pixel count helps, think of it like cropped verses un-cropped sensor, 33 vs 45M pixels)?
  • Do you make large prints (more pixels helps to make larger prints, ignoring SW based pixel improvement packages)?
  • How 'stable' are you, do you use a tripod a lot (IBIS will help you hand-hold at lower shutter speeds)?
  • Do you need a faster shutter rate (R5 has high frame rate?
  • What lenses do you currently have (R5, R6 or R are needed to fully gain some of the benefits RF lenses bring, EF lenses work with an adapter but...)?
  • How important is size and weight to you?
  • How important is dynamic range to you?
  • Do you want to shot video?
michoristo Regular Member • Posts: 204

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

The RF lenses are better than EF lenses in just about every way.  The lack of good 50mm in the EF lineup was always a sore spot for me.

I sold my 5DIV and most of my EF lenses and switched to the R about a year ago.  I have more keepers due to how much easier it is to shoot with the R.

Definitely going to be switching the to R5 once a few more photography reviews (not video) come out.

rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

I have a 5D4 now. It's excellent. But I'm going for the R5 for the AF. Also, so that I don't have to MFA anymore.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +15 more
Eddie Rizk Regular Member • Posts: 442

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

Imagine quality had nothing to do with my purchase of the R.   The IQ of the original 6D is still amazing.

New mirrorless cameras have better AF, exposure preview, more information in the view finder, and lots of other features that eliminate most of my mistakes, greatly increasing my keeper rate.

The only reasons I would go with a 5D4 over an R or R5 are that I like the feel of the bigger body and I like the view of the world through the glass.

If I were a better photographer, I might still shoot a DSLR.   But I need all the help I can get.

-- hide signature --

Eddie Rizk
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
mikeyL
mikeyL Contributing Member • Posts: 937

I currently shoot with a 5DSr, so cannot justify the change to R5 on the basis of resolution. But there are so many more upgrades, with the improved AF, IBIS for stability, no MFA to worry about, better FPS, better high ISO, better DR, and ability to migrate to RF system , which is clearly where Canon will be putting the majority of their lens development efforts going forward. So if you can afford it, I think the R5 is a no-brainer.

And as stated above, if money is an object, the EOS R is a good choice. As far as reliability goes, the R5 is going to be on the same level than the 5D MK IV or better. As an example the R5 shutter is rated for 500,000 cycles - that is higher than the 5D Mk IV and the matches the highest spec Canon gives out for shutter life on any of it's stills cameras (including the 1DX Mk III). It is over 3x the Canon 5D Mk IV spec of 150,000. I feel any worries about how robust the camera might prove to be will prove to be unfounded...

ML

mikeyL's gear list:mikeyL's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Tony Defriez Regular Member • Posts: 192

Not much difference then between R5 and 5DIV as shutter and body construction similar (hardware stuff). Both are almost totally electronic out side of this. In fact the 5DIV has more moving parts (more prone to failure) so could be argue to be less robust.

RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

I preordered an R5 even though the 5DIV is by far the best and most versatile DSLR I have owned and I have a fortune in EF lenses. While I love this and it is proven over time. I trust it. A lot of others have found everything about it.

The R5 is showing to great in initial reviews. However it new and not easy to as certain to come with the shot in my hands as is the 5D Mk IV. I expect in time I wll trust the R5. I have an EOS R which now a year old and I am begining to trust for those things it is great at. In mind it has limitations in fast action shooting that R5 does appear to have. Mirrorless live View in EVF accurately showing shots before they happen, 45MP, IBIS and Amazing AF II focus are three R5 cabilities not in the 5DIV.

I intend to keep my 5DIV forever but the EOS R and R5 should be my shooters for awhile.

I think I will one day replace the EOS R with an EOS R6 but I want to see a year or two results with the R5 first. Who knows an R1 may show up by then !

The R5 still has risks that the 5DIV does not have and you can get amazing deals on like new 5DIVs if price matters to you. The market votes and lots seasoned 5DIV users are like me in adding the R5 to their gear. My EF lens collection will remain with as they are work as well or better than on the 5DIV using the adapter with the EOS R. The RF lenses are better than the EF lenses and definitely not worse. So I have five RF lenses now and I expect that I will add more RF glass very slowly over time. I do have my core RF 15-35mm and RF 24-70 big money lenses already for help me decide about this mirrorless trend based on hands on experience before I could consider replacing in any sense, IMO, "the world's greatest versatile hybrid DSLR" (probably ever): the 5D mk IV.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +36 more
R5D4
R5D4 Contributing Member • Posts: 807

It's not about image quality. If that were the case we would all still be happy with the 6D. I I have now sold both my 5DIVs in the last 9 months, first one for the R and the second one for the R5. There are just sooooo many advantages. I will list a few:

-Eye AF and tracking: Have you used this feature? Even on the R, it was mind bending and game changing. I barely picked up my 5DIV at all after getting the R.

-EVF. I don't know what you've heard or if you've used a good one (like the R). But if you have, you would know. It's amazing

-Dual Pixel AF. It is so superior to the 61 point AF system of yore. Faster, can see in the dark, and is so flexible.

-Touch and drag AF point. This one was big. Moving from the joystick to no joystick had me really nervous. But it is amazing. I have no idea which method I will prefer on the R5.

-FPS. If you need 12/20fps, it is there.

-Flip out screen. This feature alone justifies the upgrade.

-Smaller size and weight.

-Fv mode.

-RF lenses. First thing I did when I got the R was sold my EF 70-200 f2.8 for the RF version. Shaved a pound of weight and at around 4 inches off the camera. It's stunningly good

I could go on, but you get the idea. 5DIV is a great camera. There's zero reason to upgrade if image quality is all that matters. But the R5 will be able to grab shots that weren't possible with the 5DIV. (Via focusing, fps, flip screen, etc.)

R5D4's gear list:R5D4's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

pokesfan wrote:

It's not about image quality. If that were the case we would all still be happy with the 6D. I I have now sold both my 5DIVs in the last 9 months, first one for the R and the second one for the R5. There are just sooooo many advantages. I will list a few:

-Eye AF and tracking: Have you used this feature? Even on the R, it was mind bending and game changing. I barely picked up my 5DIV at all after getting the R.

-EVF. I don't know what you've heard or if you've used a good one (like the R). But if you have, you would know. It's amazing

-Dual Pixel AF. It is so superior to the 61 point AF system of yore. Faster, can see in the dark, and is so flexible.

-Touch and drag AF point. This one was big. Moving from the joystick to no joystick had me really nervous. But it is amazing. I have no idea which method I will prefer on the R5.

-FPS. If you need 12/20fps, it is there.

-Flip out screen. This feature alone justifies the upgrade.

-Smaller size and weight.

-Fv mode.

-RF lenses. First thing I did when I got the R was sold my EF 70-200 f2.8 for the RF version. Shaved a pound of weight and at around 4 inches off the camera. It's stunningly good

I could go on, but you get the idea. 5DIV is a great camera. There's zero reason to upgrade if image quality is all that matters. But the R5 will be able to grab shots that weren't possible with the 5DIV. (Via focusing, fps, flip screen, etc.)

You are not wrong.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +36 more
richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 749

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

For me there are three mains reasons to go R5, and they are big.  IBIS, eye AF and the RF lenses.  Between those three and that they appear to have gotten the EVF correct makes it pretty clear for my uses.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,340

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I think I would prefer a 5D4 for:

• Lower cost
  • Don't care about 4K video and the giant  crop factor.

Otherwise, the newer camera has serval incremental enhancements, and, combined, they make the new camera "worth" my money IMO.  The 5D4 will continue to be a great camera, and you will not suddenly take sh!tty pictures just because you didn't upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Ray

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

Image quality is pretty good on everything these days, although the R5 has a little better Dynamic range and ISO performance and of course increase resolution.

To answer your question in the title of your post, the reasons to go with the 5div would be...

• Battery life (significantly more shots on a charge)
  • If you prefer an OVF over an EVF
  • If you’re worried about overheating??  
  • Could be a little more robust because it has less electronics in it.  Lack of IBIS and lack of an EVF and the fact that DSLR’s have been made for so long mean it’s probably a little more rugged.  
  • Cost

That’s about all I can think of.  There are tons of pluses to the R5, but you didn’t ask for those.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Dracones Forum Member • Posts: 54

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I hike a lot, I worry about things going electric and losing its mechanical stoutness to them.

I don't know, maybe I am just trying to justify a cheaper purchase.

In my view, the mechanical part of a camera is more prone to failure than the electronic part of it in a hiking scenario.

If the size and weight are a factor here, the R line offers no benefits here. The cameras are not that light, the pro R lenses are heavy and bulky. If using EF lenses you need an adapter wich adds lenght and weight also, so no win here either.

You didn't mentioned the photo genres you're into so everybody here can only speculates.

If you ask for a hiking companion from your camera, maybe the M line is a better option for you.

Again, in the hiking scenario, the R5 feature that make it apart will not be of any use to you unless you do wildlife/bird photography, therefore you need to carry big lenses also.

Sure, 20fps is very appealing but it works just in certain conditions; IBIS is good to have, when you shoot in low light or using long focal lenses or macro. EVF takes some time to get used with it but is annoying in fast action situations. The R lenses are amazing apparently but the prices and their sizes makes you think twice. The swiveling LCD is nice but sometimes too much or annoying. Battery is still behind DSLR's performance. In flash photography the shots/sec is down to maximum 3Fps in EOS R's case (the R5's guide don't mention this any more); you get more with a dslr.

So just to mention a few downsides of the R line to think about.

Cheers

Bigbradford Regular Member • Posts: 187

Cost might be a huge reason

Bigbradford's gear list:Bigbradford's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
mclaren777
mclaren777 Regular Member • Posts: 251

I definitely wouldn't trade my 5D4 for an R5.

I just got back from a week-long vacation in Bend, OR and my DSLR didn't require a second battery, nor did I have to use a lens cap to avoid melting my shutter/sensor.

diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

mclaren777 wrote:

I definitely wouldn't trade my 5D4 for an R5.

I just got back from a week-long vacation in Bend, OR and my DSLR didn't require a second battery, nor did I have to use a lens cap to avoid melting my shutter/sensor.

The battery part makes sense, but the lens cap thing is something I have never worried about one time while I have owned mirrorless.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
knutte Regular Member • Posts: 358

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

I'm with you there. But.....I do a lot of hiking at high elevation places and I just turned 60. With an arthritic and osteoporotic knee. That flippy screen is nice. And better DR. I can't complain about AF, I got images published in worldwide magazines from high speed sporting events with MF so the AF is amazing on the 5DIV. Lighter weight would be nice. Did I mention that flippy screen....? I almost starting thinking about a used Nikon Z7.....gasp...but Nikon is what I shot back in the film days.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads