Moon & Clouds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 303
Moon & Clouds

Sky had a little bit of moodiness last night so I've tried to capture that and have played around with noise reduction, tint and saturation in lightroom to add to the drama. No idea if it's any good but I kind of like the spooky look. I think it looks better when I stand  a few feet from my screen 

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,062
Re: Moon & Clouds

Merlin5 wrote:

Sky had a little bit of moodiness last night so I've tried to capture that and have played around with noise reduction, tint and saturation in lightroom to add to the drama. No idea if it's any good but I kind of like the spooky look. I think it looks better when I stand a few feet from my screen

I think it is ok. Perhaps the moon could be less central. Nice shot though.

Mark_A

OP Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 303

Thanks Mark. You're right, it is just ok, definitely not quite there yet. I'm hoping to take a better photo next time.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,062

Merlin5 wrote:

Thanks Mark. You're right, it is just ok, definitely not quite there yet. I'm hoping to take a better photo next time.

Hi Merlin5, sorry, when I say ok I meant - quite nice !!

Mark_A

Mark_A wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Hi Merlin5, sorry, when I say ok I meant - quite nice !!

Mark_A

Ah, I see!

Nevertheless, next time, I won't do handheld again, I'll put it on the tripod and try better aperture, iso and shutter settings.  Seems to be a trade-off. I can get a detailed moon and not much clouds or nice clouds and an over exposed white disc. Hard to capture exactly what I see

MrCPH
MrCPH Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

Not a bad attempt at all and if the shot is as you like it, that's how it should be.

I have a few suggestions if you decide to try the moon again. First is to catch the moon as low as possible in the horizon to get some landscape in the shot. This makes it easier to relate to the size of the moon. Secondly, do your metering right next to the moon. Not on the moon, not in the darkness but right next to the moon and then dial in your exposure compensation to adjust.

Don't have too slow a shutter speed, as the moon travels extremely fast and keep your ISO low for details. The moon is so far away, so no need to worry about depth of field. You may, however want to think about where your lens is sharpest - likely in the center  - and try to compose the moon with post cropping in mind.

A tripod is a good idea and an app to see where the moon rises helps a lot. Set up, wait  for the moon to rise and get your shot.

It's not easy - it's actually very challenging at the moon doesn't wait - but the reward is great.

Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

MrCPH
- If you think before asking, I'll think before answering.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142270290@N02/

MrCPH's gear list:MrCPH's gear list
NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +11 more

Thanks for the suggestions MrCPH. Would you recommend centre weighted metering? Also, your photos are amazing!

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

Merlin5 wrote:

Your photo is pretty good(by my standards). But a sky should be dark to be really scary.

-I think it looks better when I stand a few feet from my screen.-

Not exactly. It does have enough heft to be looked at from 6' away but that will not prevent suggestions on how to fix it up.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
MrCPH
MrCPH Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

You are welcome and thank you!

I would go with spot metering for better control. It's very easy to overexpose the moon to have the landscape well lit but you can open the shadows in post, so don't overexpose the moon more than you have to.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

MrCPH
- If you think before asking, I'll think before answering.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142270290@N02/

MrCPH's gear list:MrCPH's gear list
NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +11 more

lost alaskan wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Your photo is pretty good(by my standards). But a sky should be dark to be really scary.

-I think it looks better when I stand a few feet from my screen.-

Not exactly. It does have enough heft to be looked at from 6' away but that will not prevent suggestions on how to fix it up.

That is a great photo. I've tried and I just don't know how to take a photo like yours without noise. mine have so much noise on them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads