A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

Started 2 months ago | Photos
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
A few neighborhood wildlife pictures
9

Here are a few wildlife pictures taken around my local neighborhood and park. Nothing exotic or extraordinary :-(, but I wanted to share a few I've taken over the past two weeks anyway. It is now the slowest time of year for getting a lot of variety, but at least I still have the native birds, iguanas, owls to keep me busy.

First a few Iquanas, then a few burrowing owls, and then a mix of everything else.

This big guy like sitting on top of the same bush a few time each week, so I stopped and took a shot. I liked it because it has a bit of a 3D effect, which I liked.

This old guy like to sit on the same tree limb a few times each week.

I ride buy these two burrowing ouls every day, so I figured "what the hell", why not take a shot.

It looks like this one is giving me that evil eye, as they do all the time.

Just another lizard on a tree.

An Ibis getting a little shade in late afternoon.

It's interesting how these squirrels sleep.

This was taken of a plant that catches water and keeps it for a day or so after it rains. I thought the small flower and ants in the center was kind of interesting.

Well... that's it for now, I hope you liked a few of them. Take care and be safe!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Mikel10
Mikel10 Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
Mike

Mikel10 wrote:

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It was my pleasure to share a few pictures.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
MuzzaAus Senior Member • Posts: 1,799
Re: A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

Excellent series snapa!!

I really like the burrowing Owls and Ibis.

Cheers

Murray

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,184
Re: A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

Lovely set,

Morris

 Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
MuzzaAus

MuzzaAus wrote:

Excellent series snapa!!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

I really like the burrowing Owls and Ibis.

I really like burrowing owls too. Here is a folderwith some of my favorite owl shots. check out the ones with the almost pure black eyes, they are very rare!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
windoze
windoze Veteran Member • Posts: 8,417
Re: A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

your local neighborhood wildlife is amazing! GREAT series!

Thanks for sharing

windoze

 windoze's gear list:windoze's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +1 more
snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
Morris0

Morris0 wrote:

Lovely set,

Morris

Thanks Morris, I'm glad you liked it. Here is a picture for your comment of a yellow crowned night heron, since you seem to like them.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,184
Re: Morris0

snapa wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Lovely set,

Morris

Thanks Morris, I'm glad you liked it. Here is a picture for your comment of a yellow crowned night heron, since you seem to like them.

They are surprisingly tricky to expose as the yellow on the top of there head louses detail and/or color easily and this has happened in your photo.  There are a lot of things on the shore that pull the eye from the subject.  Sometimes darkening them or the entire shore helps.  Nice sharp image and good subject position as well as some nice diagonals in the image.

Morris

 Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
Morris0

Morris0 wrote:

snapa wrote:

Thanks Morris, I'm glad you liked it. Here is a picture for your comment of a yellow crowned night heron, since you seem to like them.

They are surprisingly tricky to expose as the yellow on the top of there head louses detail and/or color easily and this has happened in your photo.

Yep, it is very tricky to expose them when in complete shade & since that white patch on the head is right above the rest of the black head. I really had to increase the exposure in post, so that sometimes creates a few artifacts, so that is what you might be seeing here.

There are a lot of things on the shore that pull the eye from the subject.

Sometimes it's better to get "a lot of things on the shore" just to get the shot, than not taking a shot at all, IMHO. Maybe next time, I'll wait until the bird walks away from the shore to get rid of the clutter above it, lesson learned?

What are your thoughts on that?

Sometimes darkening them or the entire shore helps. Nice sharp image and good subject position as well as some nice diagonals in the image.

Thanks, here are two more for your C&C.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,567
Re: Morris0

Morris0 wrote:

snapa wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Lovely set,

Morris

Thanks Morris, I'm glad you liked it. Here is a picture for your comment of a yellow crowned night heron, since you seem to like them.

They are surprisingly tricky to expose as the yellow on the top of there head louses detail and/or color easily and this has happened in your photo. There are a lot of things on the shore that pull the eye from the subject. Sometimes darkening them or the entire shore helps. Nice sharp image and good subject position as well as some nice diagonals in the image.

Morris

emphasis on yellow/green cast is the hallmark of Sony made cameras' color science. and also, some of the nikon's previous generation cameras (D800) that had incorporated  Sony made sensors, have the same issue. the posted shots strongly demonstrate the color issue.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,184
Re: Morris0

snapa wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

snapa wrote:

Thanks Morris, I'm glad you liked it. Here is a picture for your comment of a yellow crowned night heron, since you seem to like them.

They are surprisingly tricky to expose as the yellow on the top of there head louses detail and/or color easily and this has happened in your photo.

Yep, it is very tricky to expose them when in complete shade & since that white patch on the head is right above the rest of the black head. I really had to increase the exposure in post, so that sometimes creates a few artifacts, so that is what you might be seeing here.

There are a lot of things on the shore that pull the eye from the subject.

Sometimes it's better to get "a lot of things on the shore" just to get the shot, than not taking a shot at all, IMHO. Maybe next time, I'll wait until the bird walks away from the shore to get rid of the clutter above it, lesson learned?

What are your thoughts on that?

Sometimes darkening them or the entire shore helps. Nice sharp image and good subject position as well as some nice diagonals in the image.

Thanks, here are two more for your C&C.

When there are distractions and I can'g get them out of the frame by moving I'll address in post unless I have a client or target publication that dose not permit such editing.

Morris

 Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
1Dx4me

1Dx4me wrote:

They are surprisingly tricky to expose as the yellow on the top of there head louses detail and/or color easily and this has happened in your photo. There are a lot of things on the shore that pull the eye from the subject. Sometimes darkening them or the entire shore helps. Nice sharp image and good subject position as well as some nice diagonals in the image.

Morris

emphasis on yellow/green cast is the hallmark of Sony made cameras' color science. and also, some of the nikon's previous generation cameras (D800) that had incorporated Sony made sensors, have the same issue. the posted shots strongly demonstrate the color issue.

I think it has more to do with the PP'ing I do of the RAW files, than the Sony camera color science. The picture above was taken in very dark shade, so heavy PP'ing was done (probably too much), to bring out any shadows or color.

I do not see that much yellow/green cast in every picture I take and PP. Since I don't have the same issue in every picture, I don't think it is the sensor issue, but maybe my over PP'ing. There was much more light below, exposure was better, so less PP'ing needed.

Do you see the same issue in these two pictures? If not, it may not be bad Sony color science. What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Brian60 Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: A few neighborhood wildlife pictures

I wish my neighbourhood wildlife looked like that, beautiful pictures.

 Brian60's gear list:Brian60's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
snapa
OP snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652
windoze

windoze wrote:

your local neighborhood wildlife is amazing! GREAT series!

Thanks for sharing

windoze

Thank your windoze, I appreciate your comment and it is my pleasure to share them.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads