A1000: Karting on the Xitaihu DS Circuit, Changzhou

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,444
Re: A1000: Karting on the Xitaihu DS Circuit, Changzhou

Booted Cat wrote:

WPMChan wrote:

Trying to prove my points, I have taken several photos of moving cars this morning, all at about FL 450 mm. I have AF-F and AF-S. They were travelling at urban speeds, I would say around 50 kph.

AF-S clearly can't do it.

AF-F worked very well. It was a cool cloudy morning. I didn't have any issue with atmospheric condition. All license plates are sharp and clear. That was very good indications of the sharpness.

AF-F ,

AF-F

AF-F

AF-S

AF-F

AF-S

Generally I don't want to be too specialized in action photography. I used PRE-AF because it's the A1000's default setting. Also, the karts in my zoomed-in photos were really fast - they sounded like racing motocycles.

Taking pictures should be "fun"!

That's why photography is just my "hobby".

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list...

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
jshen808
Re: Close-up shots!

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

The A1000/P900/P950/P1000 isn't the best camera for action photography anyway.

Since you seem to think that bigger sensor would do a better job, I have repeated the same tests with my D5600.

I used AF-A and have my AF-P 70-300 at maximum reach, about FL 450 mm.

As expected, the images are sharp and clear, but I honestly think the A1000 can match the D5600 pretty well.

Fantastic examples using both your D5600 & A1000 cameras!

Your work and examples are always good and welcome to see.

However, there are some forum members that are over the top,

and the way they push, the way they ask questions is nauseating.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

WPMChan Contributing Member • Posts: 988

Booted Cat wrote:

Generally I don't want to be too specialized in action photography. I used PRE-AF because it's the A1000's default setting. Also, the karts in my zoomed-in photos were really fast - they sounded like racing motocycles.

I haven't used Pre-AF before, so I can't comment. I always use AF-F for objects that may or actually move.

The D5600 is a DSLR. It has AF-A, which is the amalgamation of AF-S and AF-C. AF-C of Nikon DSLR is still PDAF but focuses Continuously, similar to the AF-F, Full time, of A1000 or CPA, which is CDAF.

The AF-S of DSLR is fast and it works well for fast moving object. AF-A just works better as it will continue to track the focus as the object moves on.

You had very good light on that day. You can use higher ISO to get higher shutter speed at the long end when you have small aperture, if you want to.

I didn't see any motion blur in your close-up. 1/650 sec was fast enough for your situation. The apparent blur was, in my opinion, largely caused by rising heat and perhaps out of focus.

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks John.

I got the same feeling as well.

I like modern camera offering so many options to users. I don't understand why someone will need to defend and uphold their preferences and play those against the others.

These options are there for good reasons and for users to choose to suit their needs.

jshen808

WPMChan wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks John.

I got the same feeling as well.

I like modern camera offering so many options to users. I don't understand why someone will need to defend and uphold their preferences and play those against the others.

These options are there for good reasons and for users to choose to suit their needs.

And I completely agree!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,142

jshen808 wrote:

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Since you seem to think that bigger sensor would do a better job, I have repeated the same tests with my D5600.

As expected, the images are sharp and clear, but I honestly think the A1000 can match the D5600 pretty well.

Cheers!

Wow, nauseating is a strong word...

I don't know who you're referring to. Maybe me?
As far as I am concerned, I try to say exactly what I think while always respecting others.
If your message concerns my answer about the A1000 raw files, I think it's a misunderstanding. English is not my native language, and I realize that my message may be misinterpreted, or has been misread.
So let's clarify:
When I write that I get much better results with my P7800 or my J5 in raw, I mean that with these two cameras, the difference between raw and jpeg is obvious. I don't compare the P7800 or J5 with the A1000. I only compare raw with jpeg, using the P7800 or J5.
With the A1000, the difference between raw and jpeg is barely visible. This means that the jpegs produced by the A1000 are already perfectly optimized, and that I can't do better using raw. Maybe more experienced users than me could get better results, I don't know.
That's all I wanted to say. It's not an opinion about the A1000 image quality: it's an opinion about the jpegs it is able to produce, compared to raw. For me, the A1000 jpeg in camera converter is able to give images which are as good as the same raw images converted in post processing.

Sorry if my previous post was unclear.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more

André BARELIER wrote:

No, Andre.

John was referring to my exchange with someone on the DX forum.

It just so happened that he also had an exchange with the same one as well.

He was sticking up for me.

jshen808

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Cheers!

As far as I am concerned, I try to say exactly what I think while always respecting others.
If your message concerns my answer about the A1000 raw files, I think it's a misunderstanding. English is not my native language, and I realize that my message may be misinterpreted, or has been misread.
So let's clarify:
When I write that I get much better results with my P7800 or my J5 in raw, I mean that with these two cameras, the difference between raw and jpeg is obvious. I don't compare the P7800 or J5 with the A1000. I only compare raw with jpeg, using the P7800 or J5.
With the A1000, the difference between raw and jpeg is barely visible. This means that the jpegs produced by the A1000 are already perfectly optimized, and that I can't do better using raw. Maybe more experienced users than me could get better results, I don't know.
That's all I wanted to say. It's not an opinion about the A1000 image quality: it's an opinion about the jpegs it is able to produce, compared to raw. For me, the A1000 jpeg in camera converter is able to give images which are as good as the same raw images converted in post processing.

Cheers,

Hi André,

No, it's nothing about you.

In my opinion, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

And your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

It's something WPMChan and I experienced in another forum,

where there are forum members acting like bullies towards others.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

jshen808

For many years I did not find have to use the "ignore list",

that is until recently, finding some forum members, not in this forum,

that I had to go to the extreme measures to actually place them in my "ignore list",

and it's because their comments are on the verge of assult, and it does feel "nauseating".

Again, it's no one in this forum, because this forum have the best and friendly people.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

André BARELIER

jshen808 wrote:

that I had to go to the extreme measures to actually place them in my "ignore list",

and it's because their comments are on the verge of assult, and it does feel "nauseating".

Again, it's no one in this forum, because this forum have the best and friendly people.

Cheers!

Thanks! I was afraid I might have hurt somebody.

I hate disputes on the internet, and particularly in DPR forums, which whould be used as intended: helping each others.

Let's keep on sharing pictures and useful advices!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
jshen808

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

I hate disputes on the internet, and particularly in DPR forums, which whould be used as intended: helping each others.

Cheers!

Cheers, André!

-- hide signature --

rangel28 Regular Member • Posts: 290

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Cheers!

So let's clarify:

Cheers,

I believe Nikon, and probably other companies like Sony and Canon, have improved the camera's software and algorithms so much in recent years that you can get really good results with jpegs. Smartphone camera technology continually improves and camera companies like Nikon and Canon need to keep up. I find that I get excellent results from A1000 jpegs and newer DSLRs like the D3500.

bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 815

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Cheers!

Although I recently sold off my last Coolpix cameras, I still enjoy following this forum. It was the first DPR forum I joined when I got my P530. A big reason was because of what John pointed out. The folks here were, and continue to be, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

BTW, while I had the P530, I used it to get these karting images.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
jshen808

bluzman wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Cheers!

Although I recently sold off my last Coolpix cameras, I still enjoy following this forum. It was the first DPR forum I joined when I got my P530. A big reason was because of what John pointed out. The folks here were, and continue to be, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Fantastic pictures!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Booted Cat
OP Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

bluzman wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Cheers!

Although I recently sold off my last Coolpix cameras, I still enjoy following this forum. It

What long zoom(s) do you use now, then?

was the first DPR forum I joined when I got my P530. A big reason was because of what John pointed out. The folks here were, and continue to be, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
bluzman

Booted Cat wrote:

What long zoom(s) do you use now, then

Sorry for the long-winded reply to your question.

After I disposed off all my Coolpix gear (P530, B700, P1000, A1000), I thought I'd only use my Interchangeable lens cameras (D7500, D750 and Z50). For zoom, I use my full frame Sigma 100-400mm lens exclusively on my crop frame D7500 for wildlife shooting. It gives an effective FOV of up to 600mm. That lens combined with excellent AF-C capability, continuous shooting at 8 fps, and back button focus makes the D7500 a powerful tool for capturing those sorts of images.

And then the P950 came along. and I was sorely tempted to get one. Some of the images of wildlife posted from that camera in this forum are spectacular. The issue for me, though, is not exclusively zoom...it's capturing motion like birds in flight.

Instead of a P950, I added a Panasonic FZ1000 (https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-FZ1000.html) to my kit. It uses a 1", 20.1MP sensor and emulates almost every aspect of my DSLRs and mirrorless cameras including fast continuous shooting and back button focus. The Intelligent Zoom feature (not digital zoom) extends the zoom range to 800mm. I haven't had an opportunity to see how it might perform in capturing fast moving critters but it's no slouch for still wildlife.

It also did a decent job on July 4th fireworks.

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
jshen808

bluzman wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

What long zoom(s) do you use now, then

Sorry for the long-winded reply to your question.

After I disposed off all my Coolpix gear (P530, B700, P1000, A1000), I thought I'd only use my Interchangeable lens cameras (D7500, D750 and Z50). For zoom, I use my full frame Sigma 100-400mm lens exclusively on my crop frame D7500 for wildlife shooting. It gives an effective FOV of up to 600mm. That lens combined with excellent AF-C capability, continuous shooting at 8 fps, and back button focus makes the D7500 a powerful tool for capturing those sorts of images.

And then the P950 came along. and I was sorely tempted to get one. Some of the images of wildlife posted from that camera in this forum are spectacular. The issue for me, though, is not exclusively zoom...it's capturing motion like birds in flight.

Instead of a P950, I added a Panasonic FZ1000 (https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-FZ1000.html) to my kit. It uses a 1", 20.1MP sensor and emulates almost every aspect of my DSLRs and mirrorless cameras including fast continuous shooting and back button focus. The Intelligent Zoom feature (not digital zoom) extends the zoom range to 800mm. I haven't had an opportunity to see how it might perform in capturing fast moving critters but it's no slouch for still wildlife.

It also did a decent job on July 4th fireworks.

These pictures looks spectacular! 👍

I especially like the two b&w cranes,

Thanks for sharing & happy snapping.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

André BARELIER

bluzman wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Cheers!

Cheers!

Very good job, with your P530 (a camera I know nothing about). The last one is my favourite

-- hide signature --

André

bluzman

Thanks for the kind words.

The Nikon Coolpix P530 is/was a 42X zoom camera that I bought as an upgrade to a Canon PowerShot SD600 with 3X zoom.

bluzman

Thanks. I didn't recognize the dark colored bird next to the Great Egret so I asked here on DPR for help in identifying it. It turned out that it's a Little Blue Heron (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Little_Blue_Heron).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads