Booted Cat
OP Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
NRW files
 Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
WPMChan Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: A1000: Karting on the Xitaihu DS Circuit, Changzhou

Very nice.

FL 4.3 mm is quite wide unless you are interested in the foreground. Zooming in a bit would reduce the distortion. I found the leaning lamp poles and buildings in the background a bit unsettling.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,312

Booted Cat wrote:

Nice pictures!

This looks like fun.

Even though zooming in would be nice to see these karts,

but I do like these wide angle views, to see more sceneries.

Thanks for sharing & happy snapping.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list...

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Very nice.

FL 4.3 mm is quite wide unless you are interested in the foreground. Zooming in a bit would reduce the distortion. I found the leaning lamp poles and buildings in the background a bit unsettling.

I did take zoomed-in shots, but as the karts were fast, they look blurry at 100%.

Booted Cat wrote:

I did take zoomed-in shots, but as the karts were fast, they look blurry at 100%.

I see. Probably a bit of camera shake. Your shutter speed of 1/1600 sec should be fast enough to freeze the movement of the karts.

Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

I see. Probably a bit of camera shake. Your shutter speed of 1/1600 sec should be fast enough to freeze the movement of the karts.

Yeah, but when you zoom in, you no longer have 1/1600s...

Booted Cat
Close-up shots!

I just recovered these close-up shots, although blurry at 100% as the karts were driving fast.

These were taken when I was outside the perimeter of the circuit, so 500mm was used. Later I entered the circuit and came very close to the track and could actually take close-up shots of the karts at 24mm, but then the fast drivers quit and subsequent games were slow and no fun at all so I didn't photograph any more.

Booted Cat
Re: Close-up shots!

Booted Cat wrote:

I just recovered these close-up shots, although blurry at 100% as the karts were driving fast.

These were taken when I was outside the perimeter of the circuit, so 500mm was used. Later I entered the circuit and came very close to the track and could actually take close-up shots of the karts at 24mm, but then the fast drivers quit and subsequent games were slow and no fun at all so I didn't photograph any more.

This nonetheless demonstrated the DSLR world / Sony RX series' general attitude of trading focal length for more light per pixel (hence better performance for action / low light photography). For example, the RX100M7 has only 200mm but is better at action photography.

On the other hand, the Nikon P900/P950/P1000 specializes in long-zoom, stationary-target photography.

Booted Cat wrote:

Interesting. The Kart didn't seem to be that fast. Your two photos were taken 8 seconds apart. I suspect that this type of kart can travel up to 50 kph. At that speed, it should have travelled some 100 m. It certainly doesn't seem to have travelled that far.

Your shutter speed was 1/360 sec. I don't think you had motion blur.

I suspect that it was a hot sunny day and the rising heat from the tarmac had reduced the sharpness.

It might be slightly out of focus as well. Which focus mode did you use, AF-S or AF-F?

The focus speed of the A1000 is not that great. If you use AF-S, by the time the focus was locked, the kart would have travelled quite a bit closer to you. Your f 6.3 would not have enough DOF to keep the kart in focus.

Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Interesting. The Kart didn't seem to be that fast. Your two photos were taken 8 seconds apart. I suspect that this type of kart can travel up to 50 kph. At that speed, it should have travelled some 100 m. It certainly doesn't seem to have travelled that far.

Note these are two different karts...

I suspect that it was a hot sunny day and the rising heat from the tarmac had reduced the sharpness.

It might be slightly out of focus as well. Which focus mode did you use, AF-S or AF-F?

I used PRE-AF and pushed the shutter-release button as soon as the kart showed up in the frame.

The focus speed of the A1000 is not that great. If you use AF-S, by the time the focus was locked, the kart would have travelled quite a bit closer to you. Your f 6.3 would not have enough DOF to keep the kart in focus.

Booted Cat wrote:

This nonetheless demonstrated the DSLR world / Sony RX series' general attitude of trading focal length for more light per pixel (hence better performance for action / low light photography). For example, the RX100M7 has only 200mm but is better at action photography.

On the other hand, the Nikon P900/P950/P1000 specializes in long-zoom, stationary-target photography.

Light and sensor size don't have much impact on the IQ in your case. You can go to ISO 200 and get a much faster shutter speed.

The biggest difference between a DSLR and our A1000 in photographing fast moving object is in the focus speed. the PDAF of the DSLR can lock on in a split of second, which the mirrorless CDAF can't do.

Hybrid sensor will be better than CDAF alone, but will still have longer shutter lag when compare with the PDAF of DSLR.

Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Light and sensor size don't have much impact on the IQ in your case. You can go to ISO 200 and get a much faster shutter speed.

Whatever.

The biggest difference between a DSLR and our A1000 in photographing fast moving object is in the focus speed. the PDAF of the DSLR can lock on in a split of second, which the mirrorless CDAF can't do.

The Sony RX series seem to optimize autofocus too (they have PDAF).

Hybrid sensor will be better than CDAF alone, but will still have longer shutter lag when compare with the PDAF of DSLR.

Booted Cat wrote:

Yes, two different karts.

I used PRE-AF and pushed the shutter-release button as soon as the kart showed up in the frame.

Your probably had pre-focused on the tyre wall. The kart would be several meters closer then.

Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

Yes, two different karts.

Your probably had pre-focused on the tyre wall. The kart would be several meters closer then.

The A1000/P900/P950/P1000 isn't the best camera for action photography anyway.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,050
Re: NRW files

Booted Cat wrote:

For André BARELIER and anyone else interested in NRW files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bh7_ivORxKkte5qr-pLj5bkRzNc26zAB/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1Lgn58fdjJMCYi4g65cQcIqmYeo53yn/view?usp=sharing

Thank you! Interesting pictures. I'll try to convert them with DxO or ACR, and see how it goes. I'll post the results.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,050
Re: NRW files

André BARELIER wrote:

Booted Cat wrote:

For André BARELIER and anyone else interested in NRW files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bh7_ivORxKkte5qr-pLj5bkRzNc26zAB/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1Lgn58fdjJMCYi4g65cQcIqmYeo53yn/view?usp=sharing

Thank you! Interesting pictures. I'll try to convert them with DxO or ACR, and see how it goes. I'll post the results.

Well, I must say I've been unable to get really better results using the raw files you provided.

Either I'm not very good, or Nikon's jpeg in camera converter is really good, or both.

Unless you like playing with raw files, using raw is not worth the hassle with the A1000.

I get much better results with raw when using my P7800 or J5, compared to what I got with the A1000 files. This is probably due to the much better jpeg engine of the A1000, which is a recent camera.

This is what I could achieve using NX-D and Photoshop. For the time being, DxO is unable to open A1000 raw files.

Not very different from the in camera jpeg...

Anyway, thank you for providing these files, and have fun with the A1000!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more

Trying to prove my points, I have taken several photos of moving cars this morning, all at about FL 450 mm. I have AF-F and AF-S. They were travelling at urban speeds, I would say around 50 kph.

AF-S clearly can't do it.

AF-F worked very well. It was a cool cloudy morning. I didn't have any issue with atmospheric condition. All license plates are sharp and clear. That was very good indications of the sharpness.

AF-F ,

AF-F

AF-F

AF-S

AF-F

AF-S

Booted Cat wrote:

The A1000/P900/P950/P1000 isn't the best camera for action photography anyway.

Since you seem to think that bigger sensor would do a better job, I have repeated the same tests with my D5600.

I used AF-A and have my AF-P 70-300 at maximum reach, about FL 450 mm.

As expected, the images are sharp and clear, but I honestly think the A1000 can match the D5600 pretty well.

Booted Cat

WPMChan wrote:

Trying to prove my points, I have taken several photos of moving cars this morning, all at about FL 450 mm. I have AF-F and AF-S. They were travelling at urban speeds, I would say around 50 kph.

AF-S clearly can't do it.

AF-F worked very well. It was a cool cloudy morning. I didn't have any issue with atmospheric condition. All license plates are sharp and clear. That was very good indications of the sharpness.

AF-F ,

AF-F

AF-F

AF-S

AF-F

AF-S

Generally I don't want to be too specialized in action photography. I used PRE-AF because it's the A1000's default setting. Also, the karts in my zoomed-in photos were really fast - they sounded like racing motocycles.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads