Canon R5 bakes in noise reduction in RAW files, like Pentax K1ii...

Started Aug 1, 2020 | Discussions
Frankinidaho Regular Member • Posts: 114
Canon R5 bakes in noise reduction in RAW files, like Pentax K1ii...

Remember when DPReview skewered the K1ii for applying noise reduction to the RAW files? It appears Canon also does this on their new R5 model. I wonder if DPReview will be as critical of Canon as they were to Pentax? I doubt it. See the following link from the Canon EOS R forum for the discussion...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64211915

Frankinidaho's gear list:Frankinidaho's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 6,288
Re: Canon R5 bakes in noise reduction in RAW files, like Pentax K1ii...

Frankinidaho wrote:

Remember when DPReview skewered the K1ii for applying noise reduction to the RAW files? It appears Canon also does this on their new R5 model. I wonder if DPReview will be as critical of Canon as they were to Pentax? I doubt it. See the following link from the Canon EOS R forum for the discussion...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64211915

The question is (how) those files perform and look like in the end.  I think that’s all that really matters.

As some people expressed in that forum, it is weird that they applied that at base ISO, but did you noticed they also said that the files look “a hair better” than the A7R4?  That already says a lot.

I’ve messed around with some of the few RAW files Froknowsphoto provided and I like how the files perform.  I like it a LOT.  The R5 is an awesome camera with bloody fantastic AF.  I don’t shoot video so I don’t care about all that 8K nonsense.

Canon just raised the bar for everyone else 👍

I have never in my life owned a Canon camera and this R5 might be my first one.  Will have to rent the thing to see for myself.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
vietnam74 Regular Member • Posts: 300

Well, Pentax is leading the innovation and Canon is following Pentax’s footsteps. 😊

vietnam74's gear list:vietnam74's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +20 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,902

vietnam74 wrote:

Well, Pentax is leading the innovation and Canon is following Pentax’s footsteps. 😊

Yes!

And even with all their resources, Canon's implementation of their noise reduction is far weaker than Pentax's.

Nice try, Canon.

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 8,881
A key distinction!

With the K1mkII, you can "always"(well, not with action, but I'd have another thought on that one...) shoot at lower ISO's to avoid the NR.

Apparently not so with this new Canon.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, Andrews Fine Arts LLC, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +30 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 13,231

Frankinidaho wrote:

Remember when DPReview skewered the K1ii for applying noise reduction to the RAW files? It appears Canon also does this on their new R5 model. I wonder if DPReview will be as critical of Canon as they were to Pentax? I doubt it.

Remember "Star Eater on steroids"? How they didn't test it at all, but just claimed it must be worse than Sony?

Perhaps we'll see a reference to Pentax, "the king of RAW cooking" or something.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +9 more
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,210

Canon just raised the bar for everyone else 👍

Perhaps; but at almost $4k, it's a bar way out of my price range. But then I'm sure that the multitude of well-healed buyers of the R5, having finally achieved their Holy Grail camera, will stop lusting after the next latest-and-greatest release. Yeah, right ;P

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

I hope you are right because I just ordered one.

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II +72 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads