Is the R5 a lemon?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Is the R5 a lemon?

Erick 21 wrote:

Hi all

I couldn't resist asking this question after looking at reviews of the R5. Is the camera a 🍋? I'm thinking of advanced amateurs, professionals and multimedia shooters.

Don't be silly.  The R5 is a camera.

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,698

No. It is hitting its intended target. Video centric photographer has real concerns. Price is reasonable for what it is similar to 5D series.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
expro Senior Member • Posts: 1,932

And the op is the lemon!

Erick 21
OP Erick 21 Junior Member • Posts: 40

Keep the language polite please. Thanks.

Erick 21's gear list:Erick 21's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +5 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Erick 21 wrote:

Keep the language polite please. Thanks.

Calling someone a lemon is impolite? Yikes, I can see how older generations speak of this so called cancel culture...

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,621

Erick 21 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info. It sounds like the R5 is a peach for stills but limited for video - have you tried the video recording functions?

Yes, I tried it in normal 4K24 and cropped mode 4K24, the two modes I plan to use.  It works fine and the video looks fine for my purposes.  I only plan to make educational videos for youtube.  I have no idea what others need the HQ and 8k video modes for.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567

No, but Pentax has a Key Lime Pie: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1095130-REG/pentax_6719_k_s1_dslr_camera_with.html

Erick 21 wrote:

Hi all

I couldn't resist asking this question after looking at reviews of the R5. Is the camera a 🍋? I'm thinking of advanced amateurs, professionals and multimedia shooters.

For:

1. Overheating issues & time taken to cool down effectively cripple video use, except for very short and infrequent takes

2. Battery life for stills and video use is short - I read 300 shots for a charge in average use?

3. Expensive media cards

4. Price points of the body and lenses are prohibitive

5. Resolution might create diffraction and stability issues?

Against:

1. Video issues might not worry stills shooters

2. Buy more batteries

3. Cards might get cheaper with more takeup.

4. Prices tend to fall for new cameras

5. IBIS!

Interested to read what others think, as it's more fun than more grim news about Covid19...

Erick

tvstaff
tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,648

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  If you lived in the North Pole.... At -10 below zero you can shoot for 8 minutes before your battery dies.... But the camera won't overheat.

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +24 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

tvstaff wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you lived in the North Pole.... At -10 below zero you can shoot for 8 minutes before your battery dies.... But the camera won't overheat.

I’ve shot in -40 Celsius for over an hour, but I think we get your point lol.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads