Is the R5 a lemon?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Erick 21
Erick 21 Junior Member • Posts: 40
Is the R5 a lemon?

Hi all

I couldn't resist asking this question after looking at reviews of the R5. Is the camera a 🍋?  I'm thinking of advanced amateurs, professionals and multimedia shooters.

For:

1. Overheating issues & time taken to cool down effectively cripple video use, except for very short and infrequent takes

2. Battery life for stills and video use is short - I read 300 shots for a charge in average use?

3. Expensive media cards

4. Price points of the body and lenses are prohibitive

5. Resolution might create diffraction and stability issues?

Against:

1. Video issues might not worry stills shooters

2. Buy more batteries

3. Cards might get cheaper with more takeup.

4. Prices tend to fall for new cameras

5. IBIS!

Interested to read what others think, as it's more fun than more grim news about Covid19...

Erick

Erick 21's gear list:Erick 21's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +5 more
Canon EOS R5 Olympus E-5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Is the R5 a lemon?

Overall, the camera has a good reception from people that have gotten theirs, based on the EOS R forum. The amplification of negative points often comes from users that wouldn't be happy with anything Canon puts out. It says a lot that the people that have the biggest problem with it are those that don't own it, and never intend to.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +14 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,866

Perhaps this should be in the mirrorless R forum rather than the DSLR FF forum ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
highlights Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: No its a peach!

Based on a play for half a day.

highlights's gear list:highlights's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D5 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +20 more
jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
Was the 5D2 a lemon?

To read DPR back then you’d think it was. Thread after thread after thread of “banding” discussions and talk of ‘crippled’ autofocus.  Like overhearing, those were both real issues.  And, like overhearing, they cause actual rather than imagined problems for only a small slice of users

I admit the 5DIV is a superior camera, but the 5D2 was a great camera in its day. And it was a huge success for Canon.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,382
Every Canon ILC was a lemon...

If we were to go by negative comments before the camera really got wide delivery into buyers' hands, then every Canon DSLR and MILC were lemons 

Mark

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,932
A clear winner for still photographers, include sports/wildlife

I want one.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 421

I remember when the 6Dii was released, everybody (YouTubers) rushes to made conclusions about the ”terrible” dynamic range and how useless the camera was. And then the noise fade away and people realized that can actually make awesome pictures with it.

So no, the R5 is a great camera. If overheat recording 8K video would really matter for most of us?

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 641

But, should I consider replacing my 5DSR with an R5. I do not shoot video.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 421

RHWeber wrote:

For stills only your current camera is awesome.

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Foskito wrote:

RHWeber wrote:

For stills only your current camera is awesome.

I agree, 5DSR still has more resolution AND no AA filter. I’ve seen comparison shots and the 5DSR still outresolves the R5, not by much but can still produce more detail.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,174

Pocket Lint wrote:

I agree, 5DSR still has more resolution AND no AA filter. I’ve seen comparison shots and the 5DSR still outresolves the R5, not by much but can still produce more detail.

5DsR has the filter, it is just the second layer in the filter undoes (95%) what the first layer does to the incoming light. The filter is there to make the optical path length equal in both cameras--trying to do as little as possible.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

superclarkey
superclarkey Regular Member • Posts: 221

-- hide signature --

PLEASE DO NOT OFFER ADVICE ON HOW TO CORRECT MY GRAMMAR OR SPELLING! I WILL ALWAYS MAKE THE EFFORT TO SPELL CHECK AND REVIEW ALL MY POSTS, I'M DYSLEXIC, WHICH DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'M STUPID.

superclarkey's gear list:superclarkey's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,976
Re: Every Canon ILC was a lemon...

Mark B. wrote:

If we were to go by negative comments before the camera really got wide delivery into buyers' hands, then every Canon DSLR and MILC were lemons

Mark

+1

indeed that has been the pattern since 2006 when i got into canon dslrs. i acquired my 1st canon dslr (5D) in 2006 and 24-105 f4.0 and enjoyed using them, immensely (still have both).

i don't own a canon 6D but i have hear real good thing about its performance, especially in low light environment, and also some good reviews about 6D, online. i think R5 is a great and revolutionary camera that well sell great. i will pick one up hopefully by next year, and also 2 R lenses, the new R100-500 and the amazing R 80mm f1.2 DS lenses. but i have too many "L" lenses to last me through my natural life time. good luck.

best regards.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,234

Have to look at the facts, yes overheating, very expensive plus all the R lens are to, crap battery life, i will keep my DSLrs, you can keep mirrorless not for me,tried the R hated it, 5DIV will do nicely thanks.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams
Believe in Karma.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

ASR45 wrote:

Have to look at the facts, yes overheating, very expensive plus all the R lens are to, crap battery life, i will keep my DSLrs, you can keep mirrorless not for me,tried the R hated it, 5DIV will do nicely thanks.

If you can’t make a good photo with the 5DIV, which is a fine camera by the way, then I think it’s the photographer and not the camera that needs an upgrade not directing this to you ASR45, just in general. I know you and I both aren’t in to the newest mirrorless fad. I still prefer OVF any day of the week, for numerous valid reasons.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
Erick 21
OP Erick 21 Junior Member • Posts: 40

Indeed! Lots of interesting comments here which are good to read. Thanks for posting!

I am jolly happy with my 1Ds III and 1Div. I would only want to spend money for new equipment on good video capabilities, ie, for use in a controlled production setup for cinema-level quality, working to tight deadlines and with talent.

For the same cash as the R5, I could get a Blackmagic Ursa and timecode, XLR inputs for sound, gradable Raw and a huge rig that is built like a tank. Oh wait...

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +5 more
Erick 21

Good point! Here is my cat in 8k Raw!

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,621

ASR45 wrote:

I rented the R for 10 days. Hated every minute of that.  The R5 is so much better than the R that there is no comparison. The battery life is not even an issue.  I have not even come close to running the battery down and I come home with 1000s of shots.

No overheating for stills. 
Amazing AF! That alone with blow your mind.

I am going to sell some stuff.  Maybe 5DM4 and 6D, then 80D. Perhaps keep the others.

The 5DM4 doesn’t hold a candle to the R5. Sorry.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more
Erick 21

Hi, thanks for the info. It sounds like the R5 is a peach for stills but limited for video - have you tried the video recording functions?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads