A thread of photos from SmartPhones ..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,071

I think this could work.

Most of us have phones which take photos and while I take serious photos with my Nikon, often I only have my Moto G7 Power phone with me and I will take photos with what I have.

I think everyone would admit that the quality of smartphone images have come on in leaps and bounds. I constructed a 3 shot panorama taken with my Moto and posted it online. No one commented on any lack of quality, they have been used to seeing images from my 36mpx Nikon so I had expected comments, but the image was good enough for the web and stood up.

Obviously with their small sensors and large depth of field, phones can't easily blur backgrounds, but there are other ways to make portraits.

So, a thread for photos taken on phones.

A serious thread, open to serious photographs but also moments of fun if that is what you have captured on your phones.

Lets see what you have been taking on your phones.

Oh and here is that panorama to start the ball rolling:

And do feel free to comment on any images, just like with a normal thread.

Mark_A

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BratPix
BratPix Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Re: A thread of photos from SmartPhones ..

I actually take very few pictures with my phone. Here is one of them, taken with a Xiaomi Redmi 7:

-- hide signature --

You may see some of my work at the non-commercial website
https://bratpix.wordpress.com/
The short texts are in French but the pix are not

BratPix's gear list:BratPix's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Pentax K-70
Mark_A
OP Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 16,071

BratPix wrote:

I actually take very few pictures with my phone. Here is one of them, taken with a Xiaomi Redmi 7:

Colourful and sharp.

I find when I am out and about, without my Nikon, I still on occassion want to snap a photo, so now I just use my phone.

Mark_A

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

unlike many some on these fora, i have no objection to phone cameras but i only ever use mine for taking informational pics for whatsapp/google keep

that is the reason i have 2 light and small cameras. they are with me 90% of the time and fit into a small handbag but then i am not a spur of the moment kind a guy 

nice composition btw but for me it's a bit 'vague' if you know what i mean

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +14 more
Mark_A

softmarmotte wrote:

unlike many some on these fora, i have no objection to phone cameras but i only ever use mine for taking informational pics for whatsapp/google keep

that is the reason i have 2 light and small cameras. they are with me 90% of the time and fit into a small handbag but then i am not a spur of the moment kind a guy

If you always have a proper camera with you that is great. My Nikon is too large and heavy to always have with me, for me, my phone is useful as a second camera.

The image quality from my phone has impressed me. It is only 8mpx I believe, the lens is tiny, but it works.

Mark_A

Mark_A
A photo of a photo in the making ..

Mark_A

BratPix
BratPix Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Mark_A wrote:

BratPix wrote:

I actually take very few pictures with my phone. Here is one of them, taken with a Xiaomi Redmi 7:

Colourful and sharp.

I find when I am out and about, without my Nikon, I still on occassion want to snap a photo, so now I just use my phone.

Mark_A

Thank you Mark_A.

When I do not know whether I may take a picture (and of what), I tend to take my Swiss Army Knife, a Sony RX10iii, which is definitely more versatile than my phone. By the way, this Redmi 7 can shoot in RAW and is equipped with a 45 Mpix sensor, i..e., more pixels than my Nikon D810!

-- hide signature --

You may see some of my work at the non-commercial website
https://bratpix.wordpress.com/
The short texts are in French but the pix are not

BratPix's gear list:BratPix's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Pentax K-70
Mark_A

BratPix wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Colourful and sharp.

Thank you Mark_A.

When I do not know whether I may take a picture (and of what), I tend to take my Swiss Army Knife, a Sony RX10iii, which is definitely more versatile than my phone. By the way, this Redmi 7 can shoot in RAW and is equipped with a 45 Mpix sensor, i..e., more pixels than my Nikon D810!

Is a Sony RX10iii a useful tool like a Swiss Army Knife? I don't know it if I am honest.

I actually also hadn't heard of a Redmi 7. RAW and 45mpx certainly seems something to take seriously. I have a D800 - also 36mpx like your D810. Have to say I can't see myself needing more than 36mpx for quite a while yet if ever

I think my Moto G7 Power has an 8mpx chip pointing forwards, it seems enough for the sort of images I take with it. And more than my last dslr had.

Mark_A

Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 314

I really like that panorama, Mark, very tasteful. I only bought my first dslr camera a few weeks ago so am a photography beginner. However, here are some photos I took with my Samsung S6 in 2015.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Mark_A

Merlin5 wrote:

I really like that panorama, Mark, very tasteful. I only bought my first dslr camera a few weeks ago so am a photography beginner. However, here are some photos I took with my Samsung S6 in 2015.

Hi Merlin5, Samsung are supposed to be better than average cameras. It interests me that it seems to have coped with your three low light images quite well. Did you adjust anything or just point and shoot?

Mark_A

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Mark_A wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

If you always have a proper camera with you that is great. My Nikon is too large and heavy to always have with me, for me, my phone is useful as a second camera.

The image quality from my phone has impressed me. It is only 8mpx I believe, the lens is tiny, but it works.

Mark_A

yes, much better to have some camera than no camera! it's why i went for the pana gx9. just saw a lovely image in brussels this evening and took it in raw. yet to process so you'll have to wait but there were deep shadows and bright sky

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +14 more

Mark_A wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Hi Merlin5, Samsung are supposed to be better than average cameras. It interests me that it seems to have coped with your three low light images quite well. Did you adjust anything or just point and shoot?

Mark_A

Mark, yes, the cameras in that S6 and my current Samsung S7 Edge are pretty impressive for phone cameras. As far as I can remember I just pointed and shot, particularly as I knew nothing about camera settings like I know today. I've just looked at the exif of the photos and it looks like I put them through Photoshop. However I don't recall what processing I might have done. Also, the exif says exposure mode and white balance were auto.  There's a macro setting in the camera  that I must have used for the butterfly and bee.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Mark_A
Google Lens ..

Merlin5 wrote:

Mark, yes, the cameras in that S6 and my current Samsung S7 Edge are pretty impressive for phone cameras. As far as I can remember I just pointed and shot, particularly as I knew nothing about camera settings like I know today. I've just looked at the exif of the photos and it looks like I put them through Photoshop. However I don't recall what processing I might have done. Also, the exif says exposure mode and white balance were auto. There's a macro setting in the camera that I must have used for the butterfly and bee.

Merlin5, have you played with Google Lens? Very impressive bit of programming I think tells me all sorts of things about objects in my photos.

Mark_A

Mark_A

softmarmotte wrote:

yes, much better to have some camera than no camera! it's why i went for the pana gx9. just saw a lovely image in brussels this evening and took it in raw. yet to process so you'll have to wait but there were deep shadows and bright sky

Since I started playing with my phone camera I have taken my dslr out less than I used to.

I can be walking the dog, chatting to my son on the phone and send him images of where we are - as we are talking.

It won't replace my dslr because of the significantly extra image quality from my Nikon, but the phone makers have made them very easy to use.

Mark_A

Re: Google Lens ..

Mark_A wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Mark, yes, the cameras in that S6 and my current Samsung S7 Edge are pretty impressive for phone cameras. As far as I can remember I just pointed and shot, particularly as I knew nothing about camera settings like I know today. I've just looked at the exif of the photos and it looks like I put them through Photoshop. However I don't recall what processing I might have done. Also, the exif says exposure mode and white balance were auto. There's a macro setting in the camera that I must have used for the butterfly and bee.

Merlin5, have you played with Google Lens? Very impressive bit of programming I think tells me all sorts of things about objects in my photos.

Mark_A

Thanks Mark, just installed it from Google Play Store, I'll have a play with it later.  

Mark_A
iPhone 4S image

I had an iPhone 4S some years ago, this pic is from that. Great resolution of detail, adjusted and sharpened in post processing, nice detail, a good camera.

Mark_A

Re: iPhone 4S image

Mark_A wrote:

I had an iPhone 4S some years ago, this pic is from that. Great resolution of detail, adjusted and sharpened in post processing, nice detail, a good camera.

Mark_A

Like a scene from a sci-fi movie, I expect those things to walk accompanied by ominous music.

clouseau
clouseau Regular Member • Posts: 457

interesting thread Mark, and very good pano.

Here are two I like: They are photoshopped enhancing the sky and adjusting contrast and shadows. Generally this Sansung model blows highlights and the truth is I don't like it much for photography purpose. Nevertheless sometimes it's better than nothing when you don't have your camera.

They are 50% downsized if I remember well.

Already posted a while ago...

Mark_A

clouseau wrote:

interesting thread Mark, and very good pano.

Here are two I like: They are photoshopped enhancing the sky and adjusting contrast and shadows. Generally this Sansung model blows highlights and the truth is I don't like it much for photography purpose. Nevertheless sometimes it's better than nothing when you don't have your camera.

Hi clouseau, yes I remember that first image, I think I commented on it. Till now I had no idea it had been taken on a phone, I recall being impressed by the detail in the top left of the image.

They are 50% downsized if I remember well.

Already posted a while ago...

Mark_A

jacwashere
jacwashere Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads