Suggest me a good Fujifilm Lens Kit

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Anish Sahoo New Member • Posts: 2
Suggest me a good Fujifilm Lens Kit

Hello to every person who is reading this,

I am planning to buy a Fujifilm XT-4 pretty soon (in about 5 months), so,

I need some recommendations for a good lens kit.

I prefer buying primes over zooms, and my budget for lenses is $1500 (if i buy the battery grip, or else $1800).

I NEVER PLAN TO DO ANY KIND OF PROFESSIONAL WORK, I AM INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY ONLY AS A HOBBY.

I shoot mostly mid-range and portraits, my maximum focal length doesn't go past 100mm ever.

My type of photography is astro, night street, and portraits.

I plan to do some videography and vlogging, but OIS is not necessarily required because the camera has IBIS.

Water resistance in atleast one lens is compulsory.

Also, tell me if i should buy the battery grip, because i rarely go out on trips and I always have 2 spare batteries and a powerbank at my disposal. (I have a feeling i might never use the grip while shooting street because its gonna make me look like a pro, and there are so many restrictions for pros in public places)

If you suggest a kit assuming i dont buy the battery grip, the budget for lenses would be $1800.

Also, I am interested in having a lens with a square hood (its just that I'm interested in having a retro looking camera, which i might achieve using a lens with a square hood. THIS IS NOT A PRIORITY)

My priority is Image sharpness, bokeh and low light capabilities.

So I hope you guys will suggest me some good kits.

Anish Sahoo

Current gear - Nikon D3300 & Tamron 18-400 f3.5-6.3 (the lens has a major focusing problem)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hugh Barstead Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Suggest me a good Fujifilm Lens Kit

Fuji XF 16 f/2.8, XF 35 f/2.0 and XF50 f/2.0 are are all weather resistant and fit within your budget with room for accessories. This leaves the range between 70 to 100mm (equivalent) out, but by the sounds of it that may not be important to you. Faster lenses than these will eat up your budget very quickly, unless you can live without autofocus. 
Square lens hoods are available by the score on Amazon.
I wouldn’t bother with the grip unless you can get a great deal on a camera / grip combo. You can always add it later if required.
If there’s any reason this combo would not work for you please explain and perhaps more refined suggestions could be made.

OP Anish Sahoo New Member • Posts: 2

Hugh Barstead wrote:

Fuji XF 16 f/2.8, XF 35 f/2.0 and XF50 f/2.0 are are all weather resistant and fit within your budget with room for accessories. This leaves the range between 70 to 100mm (equivalent) out, but by the sounds of it that may not be important to you. Faster lenses than these will eat up your budget very quickly, unless you can live without autofocus.
Square lens hoods are available by the score on Amazon.
I wouldn’t bother with the grip unless you can get a great deal on a camera / grip combo. You can always add it later if required.
If there’s any reason this combo would not work for you please explain and perhaps more refined suggestions could be made.

I am interested in the choice you made, in fact i was thinking of the same kit, but the thing is, I've seen many weird reviews of the 50mm f2 on Youtube so I'm not that confident about that lens.

Otherwise, this kit looks perfect to me

Thanks for the suggestion

Anish

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670

Start with the 35 f1.4.

Use for about 1 year, and then decide the next lens.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 963

Fuji 56 1.2, the Sigma 18-35 1.8 with a Fringer and the rokinon/samyang 12mm f2. You should be able to buy good condition used copies of all three lenses as well as the Fringer new and still have enough money for Fuji's $329 piece of molded plastic!

Honestly that's a pretty filthy kit and one that checks every box for you. I have all three of those lenses and as I'm writing this it makes me question why I also have the 16 1.4 and 35 1.4 as I've used neither more than once in the last month.

lexvo Regular Member • Posts: 389

I more or less second what biza43 said. Don't spend all your lens money at once. But one or two lenses and see what you like. For example when I switched from Canon to Fuji, I discovered my preferences for focal lengths had changed somewhat. Luckily, I slowly bought new lenses for my Fuji.

Besides the lenses others already suggested, think about:

23/1.4 - one of my favourites, has very usable sharpness wide open, I use it often when I want to travel with just one lens

27/2.8 - very compact, good sharpness, I take this lens when I want to have a small setup, for example to take my camera in the evening when traveling

18-55 - a zoom, much better than the average kit lens from other brands, good sharpness and OIS, ideal on a holiday

lexvo's gear list:lexvo's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,901

What focal lengths are you using on the Tamron with current kit.  Is the maximum aperture holding you back?

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,528

Hi,

That's simple:

1. wide lens: 14/1.8

2. semi wide: 23/2

3. normal: 35/1.4

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Shamrock Shooter New Member • Posts: 11

I went with the 16-80 f/4 it was $800 by itself, but only $500 with the kit.  seemed like a better lens than the the 18-55 and only cost $100 more.

It isn't a prime lens like you want, but after a few days of use, I am pretty happy I went with the 16-80 as my first Fuji Lens.  As others mentioned, I want to use this a while then decide what to get next.

I would also say with the current $700 price drop on the Xt-3 ($999 body/$1499 w16-80) vs the same kit in  in the X-t4 ($1,699body/$2,199 w16-80), consider going with the the X-t3, and taking that money to buy an extra lens.  The upgraded features in the xt4 just were not worth $700 to me, i would rather have an extra lens.

Quindere Forum Member • Posts: 60

My Contribution

Manual - Wide & Astro - Samyang 12mm F2.0 - US$ 270

WR - Semi-Wide, Street & General Purpose - Fujifilm 23mm F2.0 - US$ 450

Normal, Half-Body Portrait, Low Light & General Purpose - Fujifilm 35mm F1.4 - US$ 600

Short Tele,  Classical Portrait - Viltrox 85mm F1.8 - US$ 400

Total Budget .................. US$ 1,720

Quindere Forum Member • Posts: 60

If you have restrictions on the use of third party lenses and want to remain restricted to Fuji lenses, then my suggestion follows the same as @Joachim Gerstl above.

dc_tonk Regular Member • Posts: 371

I started with the 16-55/2.8 and the 35/1.4 - if you can’t get good photos out of those two, it isn’t the gear.

dc_tonk's gear list:dc_tonk's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X-T3 +14 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,901

"if you can’t get good photos out of those two, it isn’t the gear."

That really applies to all Fuji lenses.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 222

TLDR: If I were you, this is 100% what I would do:

I started with the 16-55/2.8 and the 35/1.4

This covers flexibility, low light, weather resistance, image magic... everything.

For detailed advice... I'll do it like this... a general focal length, and lenses you may like within it. Mix and match based on what may grab you. (I'll be honest, and italicize the lenses I've never used, and bold the WR choices)

Wide:

• 16mm 1.4 WR
    • Unique. Incredibly fun. Incredibly sharp. Incredibly versatile.
    • One of two lenses you'd move to the system for.
    • Cool square hood.
    • Supposedly, it has some problems with astro (coma), but stopping it down to f2 still puts it ahead of the other two below. If you're reeeeally into astro, get the Rokinon 12mm f2.
  • 10-24mm f4
    • If you were a professional with a certain need, I'd recommend this over the 16. That, or if you'd rather have the flexibility this range, should put this in contention over the 16.
  • 14mm 2.8
    • More of an honorable mention here. I own and love this lens, but it's not as versatile as the other two. However, the pure image quality is superior to the two above, and arguably better than their most expensive lens, the 8-16.

Mid range:

• 23mm f2 WR
    • Compact. Sharp. Great contrast. Great focal length. Great value.
    • Don't try and shoot it like the 16mm 1.4. IQ reeeally suffers when wide open and shooting a subject closer than ~ 5 feet.
  • 35mm 1.4
    • Made of magic and fairy dust. A nifty-fifty with special sauce. The second lens people move to the system for.
    • AF speed is fine – it's the external focus that bugs me. Can extend almost a centimeter at minimum focus distance, inviting dust + water.
    • Still, I'd choose it every single time over the 35mm F2, which suffers from the same crappy close-up IQ, and shocking distortion... it is corrected in-camera, but it has to pull pixels from somewhere, which compromises IQ in the corners.
    • Cool square hood.
  • 16-55mm 2.8 WR
    • I know you prefer primes... but wow. The IQ is stunning.
    • The ability to adjust compression from 24mm to 85mm FOV, all with a 2.8 aperture, is (to me) 100% worth the weight.
    • Shoots great portraits at 55mm.
    • Doesn't have OIS, but neither do any primes

Telephoto:

• 55-200mm f3.5-4.8
    • If you're like me and don't shoot much above 85mm FOV, stop reading this section here. Get this lens.
    • You can get it for ~$500 and it's an excellent middle ground between the XC lens and the monstrous 50-140.
  • 56mm 1.2
    • I don't shoot portraits so I don't own it – if that's your scene, this is your lens, no compromise. The third lens people move to the system for.
    • If you want a more general purpose lens at this range, the 50mm f2 WR is razor sharp, weather resistant, and a joy to use.
  • Viltrox 85mm 1.8
    • Another portrait lens you might want. I don't shoot much in this range, but this is an interesting intersection of performance and value.
 fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
RivkiLocker
RivkiLocker Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

If it were me, I’d do the rokinon 12mm as a wide option, the Fuji 18 for street, and the 35f1.4 for portraits. Add the 56 if you want longer. Buy used to get more for your money.

RivkiLocker's gear list:RivkiLocker's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-A10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +7 more
Andreasfe Regular Member • Posts: 178

Whatever you do, just buy the X-T4 in kit with the 16-80mm. Even if you don't want that lens. You can sell it for for $600-$700, and by doing so, get a cheaper X-T4 than if you buy it alone.

Personally I love the 16-80mm, but I'm not you

For astrophotography, I think the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2 is the obvious choice.

For night streets the 23mm f/2 or 35mm f/2, depending on the focal length you favor for that matter, and if you mean typical street photography. 23mm/35mm f/1.4 if you can live with slow and noisy autofocus.

If you with night street mean more like wide nightime urban scenery and such, it will be covered very well with the Samyang 12mm f/2.

For portraits, just go for the 56mm f/1.2, if you think the 50mm f/2 not will cut it for you. Or maybe 90mm f/2?

For vlogging I'm not sure. The 16mm f/2.8 seems to be the best autofocus alternative for that matter. And that also seems to be a great lens for some wider type street shots. Just got mine. Looking forward to test it out on the streets

Andreasfe's gear list:Andreasfe's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Canon G7 X III Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T4 +5 more
MatMayer
MatMayer Senior Member • Posts: 1,327

Vlogging 16mm f2.8 WR $400

Astro Samyang 12MM F2 $270

Night street 35mm f1.4 $600 (or Viltrox 23 or 33mm f.14 ~$300)

portraits 50mm f2 WR $450 (or wait short while for Viltrox 56mm f1.4 which should be ~$350)

total ~$1720, or ~$300 less by getting a Viltrox. I would look for 3rd party square hoods or could switch 16mm f2.8 for 18mm f2.

MatMayer's gear list:MatMayer's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,563
Astrologia and portaista .

Anish Sahoo wrote:

I prefer buying primes over zooms, and my budget for lenses is $1500 (if i buy the battery grip, or else $1800).

I NEVER PLAN TO DO ANY KIND OF PROFESSIONAL WORK, I AM INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY ONLY AS A HOBBY.

I shoot mostly mid-range and portraits, my maximum focal length doesn't go past 100mm ever.

I plan to do some videography and vlogging, but OIS is not necessarily required because the camera has IBIS.

Also, tell me if i should buy the battery grip, because i rarely go out on trips and I always have 2 spare batteries and a powerbank at my disposal. (I have a feeling i might never use the grip while shooting street because its gonna make me look like a pro, and there are so many restrictions for pros in public places)

If you suggest a kit assuming i dont buy the battery grip, the budget for lenses would be $1800.

Also, I am interested in having a lens with a square hood (its just that I'm interested in having a retro looking camera, which i might achieve using a lens with a square hood. THIS IS NOT A PRIORITY)

Anish Sahoo

Current gear - Nikon D3300 & Tamron 18-400 f3.5-6.3 (the lens has a major focusing problem)

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,563
Sorry , typo

KariP wrote:

Anish Sahoo wrote:

Anish Sahoo

23f2 and 55f2  first - astro is problematic . You will need something wider like 10-12.,

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,157

I use a set of small XF primes 16mm f2.8  23mm f2 50mm f2  35mm f1.4 60mm f 2.4

They are all excellent and small and light so you can carry them easily0 Seems to me a reasonable compromise re price weigt size IQ versatility

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads