Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

gogs2020 wrote:

You can reverse collar and center of gravity is better, but for that kind of shooting that you are doing, your set up is probably better because collar leg add some height so center of gravity is close but not quite there. Anyhow this collar is better option for me, because I shoot landscapes and there is not that much upward shooting and at the same time is easier to switch to portrait mode.

Thank you so much for your effort and post.  It is good still for situation like in a canyon or valley where you need to shoot with upward tilt.

You had a good buy there, but I still will stick to my setup, as it gives me full control over the COG and for all my lens and my spare camera.  One tripod setup for everything.

My get one to play around with it to see how it can be improved, like a flexi QR plate to extend backward, so that you may not need to reverse the collar and still get the COG at the rear.  Just think.

Thank you for showing me so clearly in your postings.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
JayRayMe
JayRayMe Regular Member • Posts: 304

Looks like it's the same model as for the Sigma 105mm : TS-111 (https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/contemporary/c020_100_400_5_63/accessories/)

I can't seem to find non-Sigma options for that one neither though...

JayRayMe's gear list:JayRayMe's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

JayRayMe wrote:

Looks like it's the same model as for the Sigma 105mm : TS-111 (https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/contemporary/c020_100_400_5_63/accessories/)

I can't seem to find non-Sigma options for that one neither though...

It is not easy as the Collar has yet to be made and the model is not so popular for them to develop one yet.

Here in Singapore, we cannot even get the original Sigma collar.  Only from B&H with another big shipping cost.

So do be patience else get the one posted in this thread similar but not identical.

There is always the option I have suggested and it works well for me.

This should work better than collar for upward tilt above 50 degrees.

Can be use for all lenses.

140mm QR Plate with clamp and a common 5-6mm thick tripod/camera base.

With L-Bracket.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
JayRayMe

Up.

Since more people seems to have purchased the Sigma, maybe someone found something.

And yes, I shoot landscapes with it ;-). Kind of...

Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
JayRayMe

Eden_808 wrote:

Is there a 3rd party alternative tripod collar for this lens yet? The cheapest I can find the TS-111 socket is £130, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a ring of metal.

I'm seeing that a cheaper mount is now available: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4520829#forum-post-64391036

ref ishoot SM105ART. 40€

Dann-Oh Regular Member • Posts: 186

All these images of ball heads with high angle of lens height make me sweat. I used to do the same thing until I had a ball head accidently flop over and topple my tripod destroying my 95mm filter on my old sigma 150-600. Since then I moved to a fluid head and I have been super happy with it.

I use the setup to capture the moon, constellations, and landscapeastro images. I can share images of my setup if anyone is interested in it.

Dann-Oh's gear list:Dann-Oh's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Sony a7 III Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-PL10 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads