Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Eden_808 Regular Member • Posts: 214
Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Is there a 3rd party alternative tripod collar for this lens yet? The cheapest I can find the TS-111 socket is £130, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a ring of metal.

Eden_808's gear list:Eden_808's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
metaldood Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

I am also looking for one. Hope someone can 3D print the bracket and share the files on Github.

metaldood's gear list:metaldood's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
DS Hendry Regular Member • Posts: 156

There is a company in the UK called SRB which will make bespoke tripod collars for any lens for £49.95.

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/tripod-lens-mount-9749-p.asp

DS Hendry's gear list:DS Hendry's gear list
Sony a7 III
OP Eden_808 Regular Member • Posts: 214

DS Hendry wrote:

There is a company in the UK called SRB which will make bespoke tripod collars for any lens for £49.95.

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/tripod-lens-mount-9749-p.asp

Thanks, i"ll drop them a message. I notice there are some chinese replicas available on eBay for the older DSLR version, so hopefully we'll get something soon.

Eden_808's gear list:Eden_808's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
reinaroundtheglobe
reinaroundtheglobe Regular Member • Posts: 263

Just wait some more time and they will be available on ebay etc. That's what happened also with the Sony 70-300

reinaroundtheglobe's gear list:reinaroundtheglobe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +5 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 1,772

Eden_808 wrote:

Is there a 3rd party alternative tripod collar for this lens yet? The cheapest I can find the TS-111 socket is £130, which seems ridiculous for what is essentially a ring of metal.

If you like an alternative solution, which I am using for the past 5 years and I had also been using it on the Sigma 100-400mm, even using it for moon face shooting, visit this thread.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64184106

Here is an example of the moon face on Sigma 100-400mm using my alternative solution.

crop to 4K, as 400mm FL is far too short.

The tripod solution allows well balanced placement of the Sigma 100-400mm + A7R4 and is really a one hand operation to tilt and pan, great for action shots.

All setup parts you can easily get online and cheaply.  Moreover, you can use it on any lens+camera setup.  The Tilt head is only needed is you want to get well controlled tilting actions, else the ballhead will suffice.  Some thinking and imagination needed, but the whole setup is very light and flexible.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +16 more
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
MicahSYL

metaldood wrote:

https://smile.amazon.com/Neewer-Long-Focus-Photography-Compatible-Arca-Swiss/dp/B07YJCBT7P looks like a decent solution?

Yes, I know their existence, but if you compare the weight and bulk of it, a collar will be better.

So to be able to be a better replacement at a lower cost, that was what I had devised for my own use. The Long QR Plate with clamp was made for this purpose.

Secondly, if you imagine mounting a shorter lens, the camera will be more to the front, and the rear part of the long double sided QR Plate can be a hinderance is you want to view thru the EVF. It might be poking at your face or neck.

SO I did review this and several others, some even have a strap to hold down the lens.

Thank you for reminding me, the ball is in your court, do google for my options, and if your wanted more questions from me, do feel free to post on this thread, I will be attentive to questions. Cheers.

I have another thread with even clearer explanation please do take a look.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64226064

-- hide signature --

Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +16 more
MicahSYL

metaldood wrote:

https://smile.amazon.com/Neewer-Long-Focus-Photography-Compatible-Arca-Swiss/dp/B07YJCBT7P looks like a decent solution?

Another point to note, is that the support must be in front of the Centre of Gravity, else you will not be able to balance the lens+camera - see the insert.

The Sigma lens collar support area is very near the lens end and you must use any place further from the collar rubber ring.

Other than weight and size and positioning, this should work well.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,424

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Another point to note, is that the support must be in front of the Centre of Gravity, else you will not be able to balance the lens+camera - see the insert.

The Sigma lens collar support area is very near the lens end and you must use any place further from the collar rubber ring.

Cheers.

Personally, if someone can afford a £3400 A7Riv and £899 Sigma 100-400 I don’t see the problem with just buying the official Sigma £130 lens collar and foot rather than cheaping out and spending £30-£40 on one of these makeshift solutions. They seem bulky and don’t support the lens as easily or efficiently when switching between portrait and landscape mode. 
Not criticising the ingenuity of the solution, I just don’t see the £130 as a big barrier given the disposable income which is evident from being able to buy the lens and camera in the first place.

If the lens didn’t have a collar and foot available for it at all then that would be a completely different matter.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

MicahSYL

Photo Pete wrote:

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Cheers.

Personally, if someone can afford a £3400 A7Riv and £899 Sigma 100-400 I don’t see the problem with just buying the official Sigma £130 lens collar and foot rather than cheaping out and spending £30-£40 on one of these makeshift solutions. They seem bulky and don’t support the lens as easily or efficiently when switching between portrait and landscape mode.
Not criticising the ingenuity of the solution, I just don’t see the £130 as a big barrier given the disposable income which is evident from being able to buy the lens and camera in the first place.

If the lens didn’t have a collar and foot available for it at all then that would be a completely different matter.

I see your point clearly, the money is never an issue as a consideration.

I started this solution 5 years ago, and have grown to love it and seemingly innovated upon it, till it fits my precise traveling needs.

The weight of just the collar is more than my complete solution, which is the critical criteria when I started out 5 years ago. And it is still as I have aged 5 years more now.

The storage space while traveling is another criteria.

Bi-annually before the COVID-19, I will spent 21 days in an oversea trip with my wife for our relaxation and of course my photography. Each trip average up to about USD 8,000. Annually USD 16,000, for both myself and my wife. We have been doing this since 2006, and still intending to do it as long as we can move around. Just a ballpark figure we have spent around USD 200,000 so far.

Do you think it is a reason of cost? By no means, it is weight!
That is why I never hesitate to jump from A6000 to A7R2 when it launch.
I did hesitate to jump from A7R2 to R3 when it was launched, as there is no gain in resolution.
Again I was the very early owner from A7R2 to A7R4.
Why - the cost of those trips I am paying, I should not sting on my equipment.

So it is really not a cost issue, rest assured, but good practical solution, light weight, flexible (able to get the Centre of Gravity) for my full range of gears.

Same one QR plate with a clamp is all I needed for my 16-35mm, Samyang AF 18mm, 24-105mm, Tamron 24 mm, Sony 70-350mm APSC, Sigma 100-400mm, Sony 24-240mm (Now hibernating in my electric dry cabinet for 3 years already). And soon also for the to be announce Tamron 70-300mm.

That is flexibility.

As I mentioned, it is really my sincere hope it could help someone who is considering an alternative, tested for 5 years now.

Please look thru these pictures and what they can be used for. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64226064

I am not rich, but do believes in spending money where it counts.

Sorry if I sound rude, my apologies. Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Kev The Doc Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

This will probably create shock horror, but I bought this for my Sony lens and was as impressed with the quality as I was with the price. Don;t know if they have made a mount for your lens yet but just another option to consider?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Replacement-Foot-for-Sony-FE-70-200mm-F-2-8GM-OSS-100-400mm-F4-5-5-6GM-OSS/132832136966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Kev The Doc's gear list:Kev The Doc's gear list
DxO One Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +4 more
MicahSYL

Kev The Doc wrote:

This will probably create shock horror, but I bought this for my Sony lens and was as impressed with the quality as I was with the price. Don;t know if they have made a mount for your lens yet but just another option to consider?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Replacement-Foot-for-Sony-FE-70-200mm-F-2-8GM-OSS-100-400mm-F4-5-5-6GM-OSS/132832136966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank you for the link.

I actually had gone through all these options while devising my own universal solution.

These solutions are per lens approach, but I wanted a solution where

all my lenses, all my cameras can share one tripod setup.

So I can carry only 1 tripod setup for all the lenses and cameras that I brought for a trip.

So it has to be an universal approach, or else I could have simply gone with a collar.

Here is my latest thread on this Universal approach, do check it out, I am sure you will find something useful from it. Cheers.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64237065

-- hide signature --

Photo Pete wrote:

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Cheers.

I have seen this logic being applied on almost all gear forums. That is if you buy an expensive piece of equipment(for which there is no other option depending on specs) then that person automatically should buy the most expensive accessories for it. It's good to have options. Also it's subjective to put an actual price on the tripod collar as for some it might not be worth $130 for just a collar when alternatives can be made to work. I have used expensive camera gear over the years but my accessories have all been 1/10 the price of the RRS/Gitzo brands. Neweer/Sunfoto have never failed me.

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,424

metaldood wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Cheers.

I have seen this logic being applied on almost all gear forums. That is if you buy an expensive piece of equipment(for which there is no other option depending on specs) then that person automatically should buy the most expensive accessories for it. It's good to have options. Also it's subjective to put an actual price on the tripod collar as for some it might not be worth $130 for just a collar when alternatives can be made to work. I have used expensive camera gear over the years but my accessories have all been 1/10 the price of the RRS/Gitzo brands. Neweer/Sunfoto have never failed me.

All a matter of personal judgement. If the makeshift solution provides all the functionality and quality that the user needs then it is great value.... but let’s not kid ourselves that these provide all the same functionality as the oem collar. In comparison they are fiddly to change from landscape to portrait orientation whilst still providing support for the lens. Hand held shooting would be less comfortable without removing the camera plate and swapping lenses wouldn’t be as easy.

I’ve absolutely no qualm with buying cheaper third party equipment if it performs close to the same level as the premium accessories, but in this case, for me personally, the compromises are not worth saving about £100, particularly not in the context of a user who is able to afford a camera and lens worth well over £4000. Personal view only of course.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

MicahSYL

Pete, it is not about cost.  The exact same setup for my tripod is for every piece of lenses that I had.  One tripod, one ballhead (or a tilt/pan head), one Long QR plate with clamp, one L-bracket with a clamp.  This same set supports ALL my lenses.

Why do I do this - weight.  Per trip of 21 nights oversea, the hotel charges already does not make sense if I am considering cost.  More still my wife expects bi-annual holiday trips - twice a year my friend (at least - some years we had up to 4 trips).

Carrying the gears on long trip without the ability to recharge in home sweet home, one really have to consider weight, traveling from hotel to another after 4 to 5 nights will also be an issue of weight of all the luggage.  I guess unless you see my point, it will be difficult to understand my concern and those who are facing the same issues.

Same setup for all my lenses - using it for 24-105mm F4

Using it with my Samyang AF 18mm, Sony 16-35mm F4

With L-bracket and still able to maintain the Center of Gravity.

The 24-240mm has been hibernated in my dry cabinet and now I have the Sony 70-350mm APSC replacing it - due to weight and FL reach.  The Sigma 100-400mm will not go with me on long trip due to weight.  I am going to get the COMING Tamron 70-300mm (544gm without VR) this coming Fall - also because of weight and FL, then the Sony 70-350mm will rest at home.

One more issue on Collar - it cannot be use for Moon Shots, as it requires STEEP upward angle, and the collar leg is forward pointing, making it only good for downward and level shooting.  See my next image.

For moon shooting the Center of Gravity will be near camera base.

But with my setup, I was able to get the COG and perform a series of Focus Stacking shots on the moon.  Here are results from Focus stacking on the moon face.

View original size and zoom in for details.

Interference from shifting clouds - makes focusing inaccurate and less clarity

On a clear sky - 18 shots produces better result than on a cloudy sky with 30 shots stack.

Side by side comparison of the two images

The detailed landmarks are similar, but the sharpness is different due to atmospheric conditions.

The ability to get a stable Center of Gravity over the ballhead at an upward angle of 70-80 degrees is not possible with a collar, but my solution is able and produces steady shooting for over 400 shots.

This is not about cost, but performance my friend.

So sorry for such a long discourse, but it is to show that this solution can really be used effectively and most importantly for ALL lenses not just the Sigma 100-400mm, making it the lightest ONE solution.

Please do not feel I am trying to argue with you, but rather I am just presenting my own logics and hopefully someone may be able to use it or adapt it for weight consideration.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Photo Pete wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

Cheers.

All a matter of personal judgement. If the makeshift solution provides all the functionality and quality that the user needs then it is great value.... but let’s not kid ourselves that these provide all the same functionality as the oem collar. In comparison they are fiddly to change from landscape to portrait orientation whilst still providing support for the lens. Hand held shooting would be less comfortable without removing the camera plate and swapping lenses wouldn’t be as easy.

I’ve absolutely no qualm with buying cheaper third party equipment if it performs close to the same level as the premium accessories, but in this case, for me personally, the compromises are not worth saving about £100, particularly not in the context of a user who is able to afford a camera and lens worth well over £4000. Personal view only of course.

I don't disagree with your opinion.

gogs2020 New Member • Posts: 3

Eden_808 wrote:

Hi.

I bought and today received tripod mount for Sigma AF 150-500. This collar is 1mm wider then the widest point (and that doesn't count rubber ring) on Sigma 100-400.

To mount this collar I removed rubber ring but then collar is much bigger. So I moved it little bit further and now sits in between "collar place" and focus ring. Actually back of collar doesn't allow you to move it further then what you can see on photo.

This is place where collar sits.

It's very sturdy and there is no movement what so ever. To switch to portrait mode was easy, just loosen screw and rotate camera-lens and tighten the screw.

gogs2020's gear list:gogs2020's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
MicahSYL

That's great.  Only draw back is, try and balance the lens+camera, shooting upward at 78-80 degrees and you will find the Center of Gravity is further back than the QR base of the collar.  If you can mount the collar in reverse direction, then it may solve the balancing for upward shooting.  Try it out, as I had use collar before on other lenses with the same problem, unable to shoot the moon properly as the COG is nearer to the base of the camera the further you point upward.

Thanks and Cheers.  Do feedback if you can shoot in a stable condition facing upward.

Upward moon shoot or Astro, the lens has to tilt up and COG is further back.

-- hide signature --

gogs2020 New Member • Posts: 3

You can reverse collar and center of gravity is better, but for that kind of shooting that you are doing, your set up is probably better because collar leg add some height so center of gravity is close but not quite there.  Anyhow this collar is better option for me, because I shoot landscapes and there is not that much upward shooting and at the same time is easier to switch to portrait mode.

gogs2020's gear list:gogs2020's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads