I think I'm in trouble.....Leica SL2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
David V
David V Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
I think I'm in trouble.....Leica SL2

In years past, I had been a Nikon DSLR shooter.  Back in 2012, I switched over to Fuji and really enjoyed the output and experience.  I have since moved back to Nikon with the Z7 and their great S line lenses.

Last fall, I jumped into the Leica fray with a Q2.  To say that I am smitten with this camera is an understatement.  Not only is it a joy to shoot, but the image quality is incredible.  More than that, there is just a certain quality to the images that is so satisfying.  I can't put my finger on it, but it's so pleasing, that I hesitate to shoot with anything else these days.

That's where the trouble begins.......After reading everything I can find and looking at countless sample images, I have been lusting over the SL2 and a couple of Leica L lenses (specifically the 24-90 and the 35/2), which would cover 90% of what I shoot and thinking about moving in that direction and going all in on Leica and the L mount system, which provides the option of a lot of really good, affordable glass from multiple manufacturers to fill in some other areas that I shoot less often (super wide and super long), while using the pure Leica glass for the 90% of my work.

Anyone else go down this path?

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Fujifilm X100V Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm F2 ASPH
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,395
Re: I think I'm in trouble.....Leica SL2

Yes, it is a slippery road:) You can read:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4507895

FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 539

You could consider the Panasonic S1R plus lenses from any of the L-mount partnership.  Have had excellent results with an S1R, Sigma ART 28/1.4, Panasonic S Pro 50/1.4, and soon a Leica SL 90/2 Summicron APO ASPH.  Don't see the need for a SL2 yet but its nice having options in lenses and bodies.  M-adapted lenses are giving very good results when stopped down to f/5.6.

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Leica D-Lux 7 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D500 +5 more
David V
OP David V Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

FredInMN1 wrote:

You could consider the Panasonic S1R plus lenses from any of the L-mount partnership. Have had excellent results with an S1R, Sigma ART 28/1.4, Panasonic S Pro 50/1.4, and soon a Leica SL 90/2 Summicron APO ASPH. Don't see the need for a SL2 yet but its nice having options in lenses and bodies. M-adapted lenses are giving very good results when stopped down to f/5.6.

I'm sure the S1R and high quality, third party lenses are fine, but I'm talking about a look from a Leica camera and glass that I've seen from no other.  I happen to think that the Nikon S line glass is among the finest for what's available so far, so the only way I would even consider changing it out, would be for the Leica.

Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Fujifilm X100V Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm F2 ASPH
BWJunkie Regular Member • Posts: 457

David V wrote:

In years past, I had been a Nikon DSLR shooter. Back in 2012, I switched over to Fuji and really enjoyed the output and experience. I have since moved back to Nikon with the Z7 and their great S line lenses.

Last fall, I jumped into the Leica fray with a Q2. To say that I am smitten with this camera is an understatement. Not only is it a joy to shoot, but the image quality is incredible. More than that, there is just a certain quality to the images that is so satisfying. I can't put my finger on it, but it's so pleasing, that I hesitate to shoot with anything else these days.

My experience is similar to yours, except I have the Leica M and Q.

That's where the trouble begins.......After reading everything I can find and looking at countless sample images, I have been lusting over the SL2 and a couple of Leica L lenses (specifically the 24-90 and the 35/2), which would cover 90% of what I shoot and thinking about moving in that direction and going all in on Leica and the L mount system, which provides the option of a lot of really good, affordable glass from multiple manufacturers to fill in some other areas that I shoot less often (super wide and super long), while using the pure Leica glass for the 90% of my work.

No, but I hope I will have enough willpower to run the opposite direction.

Tim C.

BWJunkie's gear list:BWJunkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,357

Depending on your budget, a used SL is a good choice. It is much more affordable, of course. Also, the SL2 additional features might not be crucial to you; they are not must-have corrections of any big SL problem.

citizenlouie Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

David V wrote:

In years past, I had been a Nikon DSLR shooter. Back in 2012, I switched over to Fuji and really enjoyed the output and experience. I have since moved back to Nikon with the Z7 and their great S line lenses.

Last fall, I jumped into the Leica fray with a Q2. To say that I am smitten with this camera is an understatement. Not only is it a joy to shoot, but the image quality is incredible. More than that, there is just a certain quality to the images that is so satisfying. I can't put my finger on it, but it's so pleasing, that I hesitate to shoot with anything else these days.

The moment I touched a SL2 in person, I was already in trouble.

But I didn't buy a SL2 yet, as I invested in glasses first, so I have Panasonic S1R for now, though I have to admit I am constantly thinking about SL2 (I really should feel content instead of wanting more).  I am the less is more type of person, so the way SL2 places its buttons and how it handles just attracts me more (and 200g less heavy).

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +18 more
Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 805

When I bought my Q, the salesman warned me it was a gateway drug. I eventually  sold the Q...but only so I could buy three other Leica bodies.  There needs to be a Leica Anonymous support  group.

JT26 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,041

You only live once right? If you can afford it without harming your finances then do it. Just handle one, they are large cameras and far larger than your Z7, the lenses are too.

trentschler New Member • Posts: 15

If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed. The images are fantastic. I found a used 9+ SL, 9+ 24-90 and 9+ 50mm f1.4. I saved tons of money and have like-new gear. The camera and lenses are indeed pretty big and heavy. So, take that into consideration. Think about what you shoot most often and how much walking around you do. They are way bigger than the Q, which I also have.

trentschler's gear list:trentschler's gear list
Leica Q Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Thomas Guenther Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

David V wrote:

I would consider to not go on an extra 35 - the 24-90 does a really good job.

I would choose a 75/2 APO SL instead!. A wonderful lens with breathtaking results on SL.

Had the same on M-System. less than 5% of use of 90mm compared to 75. Sold the 90mm M and kept the 75mm M.

-- hide signature --

some lenses - some bodies

Bags27 Contributing Member • Posts: 805

I agree about the images but also about the weight and size. That's stopped me because I couldn't imagine carrying it while traveling. But whether the weight and size are a factor for you depends on your shooting habits. Do you intend to travel a lot with it? Hike with it? Or do you set out from home on a day trip? Do you like to go out with one body/one lens? etc. The habits won't change.

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,907

what do you think the SL2 is going to provide that you can't already get with your Z7 and its fine lenses? Answer: nothing. You're suffering from GAS and switching systems is just a gigantic waste of money. If you don't mind spending to ease your GAS, then go for it.

I recommend you continue to love your Q2 (as I love mine) and bring out the Z7 when you feel it will capture images that you can't get as well with the Q2.

RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,579

David V wrote:

No, but considering the symptoms you are experiencing, I'd strongly recommend staying away from the Monochroms or the M10 for fear of making things much worse...

Good luck with you SL2!

Cheers,
-raaj
---------------------------------------
http://www.raajshinde.com

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

I also had a Nikon Z6 (shot Fuji for some years as well), and moved from the Z6 to a Leica M10 last year. Since then, I migrated to a Q2 and few days ago added the SL2 to the mix. I can tell you that the camera is built better than anything I have used, M10 included. The simplicity of the controls and dials is a joy, and the output is great (you know it from the Q2, eventhough I would say the SL2 does a better job at AF, WB, and noise suppression. Might be the newer processor). The only concern I would raise, is the size/weight of lenses, and the exuberant prices. Otherwise, amazing system. I started with the tiny Sigma 45mm to test the camera and really like it.

Good luck with your decision.

Elie

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Leica Q2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 45mm F4 +1 more
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,244

My Leica path began with the Q.  I was so impressed, that I bought an SL shortly thereafter, but I only used it with M and R lenses.  Next came a CL, which truly gives the SL a run for its money.  Finally, I caved in and bought a Q2 (breaking a promise to myself that I would not do that).  Needless to say, I am very happy that I did.  The Q and the SL have since been sold.

Clearly, the OP has GAS, a state of mind that most of us have experienced.  Leica GAS is particularly bad, because of the costs involved. However, if one can comfortably afford to do so, I say indulge yourself.  Personally, I have never regretted purchasing any of my Leica gear, and I don't miss any of the Pentax and Sony cameras that I used in the past, as good as they were. I know that I would miss my Leicas if they were taken away.

LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,404

I am very proud to have "GAS" and could careless..!  My iPhone will serve me just as well or better..:) GOOD for you OP..love it

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 420

brick33308 wrote:

what do you think the SL2 is going to provide that you can't already get with your Z7 and its fine lenses? Answer: nothing. You're suffering from GAS and switching systems is just a gigantic waste of money. If you don't mind spending to ease your GAS, then go for it.

I recommend you continue to love your Q2 (as I love mine) and bring out the Z7 when you feel it will capture images that you can't get as well with the Q2.

I second that.

Many of us suffer from different levels of GAS and usually try to find a logical justification to switch systems; better IQ... faster this, better that... when the only reason is that we want to. Modern gear from Leica, just like Nikon Z, Canon R, Lumix, or even Fuji are all capable of great imagery.

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Pixel boy Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

I too have been down this road, my problem is I always find the camera body  the main attraction and think about lenses secondary. I am just now in a similar dilema with the Canon R5 being delivered tomorrow. RF lenses are not cheap, but a bit cheaper than Leica, however cf express cards are £500-£1000 depending on size.

I had the M10 for a few days and was thinking about just using Zeiss or Voightlander etc, however I realised the whole point of Leica is the unique pairing of lens and body and that was going to send me over 10k. A cost I just couldn't justify.

The nearest I got to buying an affordable Leica set up was the CL gives great versatility but the lenses are slooooow.

No easy way out of Leica apart from spending cash, and even then its difficult to live with 15k worth of Leica, to be honest I take more images with my phone than anything else, I guess its cause its always with me.

Good luck with your journey, as always its the journey thats interesting the destination often end up in a dead end!!!!!

David V
OP David V Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  One of the main things that attract me to the SL2 is the resolution matching that of my Q2 and most importantly, the ever growing selection of high quality L mount glass.

While I would probably keep the Z7 with the 24-70/2.8 S for the time being, I see my lens options being much greater with L mount and will probably start with a 35 prime and a 70 macro.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads