Postcards from New Zealand

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Postcards from New Zealand
35

We have now been without any community transmitted Covid19 case here in New Zealand for 89 or 90 days. Life is normal, planes are going and there is no social distancing. Apart from the typical distancing regarding people who use different gear.

So booked myself a flight to the South Island, rented a car as I don't know anyone who would give me his/her car anymore down there.

Here are some shots I took between the 21st and the 26th July 2020. (February, Northern Hemisphere Equivalence, for those who don't know it's Winter here )

Posted here in pairs. All images were taken with the X-PRO3 and either the 14/2.8 or the 16/1.4. Nothing here to see that is in any way, shape or form particularly "special" as there have been many images from NZ along the same lines.

Taking them is a different matter. Like a good coffee in the morning or a cuddle with your true love, it still is - or can be - quite sensational.

Thanks for looking.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,725
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

A very nice set, Deed.

The first and the last are my faves.

I really should have jumped the ditch before COVID-19 struck. I can't do any work here in Oz (Victoria). 

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Sony RX100 Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand
1

SigmaChrome wrote:

A very nice set, Deed.

The first and the last are my faves.

I really should have jumped the ditch before COVID-19 struck. I can't do any work here in Oz (Victoria).

Oh, boy: Victoria ... might take a while now.

Best of luck with it!

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,725
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

deednets wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

A very nice set, Deed.

The first and the last are my faves.

I really should have jumped the ditch before COVID-19 struck. I can't do any work here in Oz (Victoria).

Oh, boy: Victoria ... might take a while now.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks.

Deed

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Sony RX100 Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,105
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

deednets wrote:

We have now been without any community transmitted Covid19 case here in New Zealand for 89 or 90 days. Life is normal, planes are going and there is no social distancing. Apart from the typical distancing regarding people who use different gear.

Good to hear of a country getting back to normality.

Here are some shots I took between the 21st and the 26th July 2020. (February, Northern Hemisphere Equivalence, for those who don't know it's Winter here )

Still a great time of year to visit.

Nothing here to see that is in any way, shape or form particularly "special" as there have been many images from NZ along the same lines.

Actually they are great images, this one in particular.

Deed

Thanks for the 'postcards' from the South.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

jhorse wrote:

deednets wrote:

We have now been without any community transmitted Covid19 case here in New Zealand for 89 or 90 days. Life is normal, planes are going and there is no social distancing. Apart from the typical distancing regarding people who use different gear.

Good to hear of a country getting back to normality.

Here are some shots I took between the 21st and the 26th July 2020. (February, Northern Hemisphere Equivalence, for those who don't know it's Winter here )

Still a great time of year to visit.

Nothing here to see that is in any way, shape or form particularly "special" as there have been many images from NZ along the same lines.

Actually they are great images, this one in particular.

Deed

Thanks for the 'postcards' from the South.

Thanks for your comments!

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,702
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Good set.--

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

 biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
var1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,156
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Hi. A nice set of images from a beautiful part of New Zealand. Have done the south need to do the north island.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ron
Salamander Bay, Australia

 var1's gear list:var1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 7artisans 12mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +2 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

var1 wrote:

Hi. A nice set of images from a beautiful part of New Zealand. Have done the south need to do the north island.

Not much of an opportunity to go anywhere overseas at the mo. Salamander Bay sounds exotic! The pics I have seen look like it's somewhere in the South Pacific, I mean amongst those tropical islands rather than OZ.

Must check it out next time I am over there ... easy enough to get to I guess?

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Awesome shots, deednets. Particularly like the first and last ones.

I'm curious – you mentioned owning both the 16mm 1.4 and the 14mm 2.8 – I have the 14 and was thinking about picking up the 16, but have been unable to justify it as I have the 16-55.

Do you like having both? How does their interplay work for your photography? Clearly it works well, just curious how they both work for ya

 fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand
2

fujiian wrote:

Awesome shots, deednets. Particularly like the first and last ones.

I'm curious – you mentioned owning both the 16mm 1.4 and the 14mm 2.8 – I have the 14 and was thinking about picking up the 16, but have been unable to justify it as I have the 16-55.

Do you like having both? How does their interplay work for your photography? Clearly it works well, just curious how they both work for ya

I use the 16/1.4 also for other stuff e.g. demi-macro shots since it is only a 24mm FF but has some good subject isolation. Would do portraits with the 16mm but not with the 14mm.

If I only had to own one, it would be the 16/1.4.

As you can see here: the 16mm is already quite wide

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

deednets wrote:

fujiian wrote:

Awesome shots, deednets. Particularly like the first and last ones.

I'm curious – you mentioned owning both the 16mm 1.4 and the 14mm 2.8 – I have the 14 and was thinking about picking up the 16, but have been unable to justify it as I have the 16-55.

Do you like having both? How does their interplay work for your photography? Clearly it works well, just curious how they both work for ya

I use the 16/1.4 also for other stuff e.g. demi-macro shots since it is only a 24mm FF but has some good subject isolation. Would do portraits with the 16mm but not with the 14mm.

If I only had to own one, it would be the 16/1.4.

As you can see here: the 16mm is already quite wide

Deed

Damn, love this shot too. Really peaceful, smooth, and colorful.

Your rationale makes perfect sense, thanks for sharing. I'm torn – the 14 is razor sharp, but it hardly comes out unless the stars align perfectly with the shot I'm going for. The 16 is very wide but can do sooo much more, as you stated.

My personal dream combo for wide-angles would be the Mighty 16 paired with a Mark II 10-24 (if such a thing ever comes into existence).

 fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Merts Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Wow! EXCELLENT set! Thank's for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Fuji&Nikon&Mac

 Merts's gear list:Merts's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E3
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

fujiian wrote:

deednets wrote:

fujiian wrote:

Awesome shots, deednets. Particularly like the first and last ones.

I'm curious – you mentioned owning both the 16mm 1.4 and the 14mm 2.8 – I have the 14 and was thinking about picking up the 16, but have been unable to justify it as I have the 16-55.

Do you like having both? How does their interplay work for your photography? Clearly it works well, just curious how they both work for ya

I use the 16/1.4 also for other stuff e.g. demi-macro shots since it is only a 24mm FF but has some good subject isolation. Would do portraits with the 16mm but not with the 14mm.

If I only had to own one, it would be the 16/1.4.

As you can see here: the 16mm is already quite wide

Deed

Damn, love this shot too. Really peaceful, smooth, and colorful.

Your rationale makes perfect sense, thanks for sharing. I'm torn – the 14 is razor sharp, but it hardly comes out unless the stars align perfectly with the shot I'm going for. The 16 is very wide but can do sooo much more, as you stated.

My personal dream combo for wide-angles would be the Mighty 16 paired with a Mark II 10-24 (if such a thing ever comes into existence).

The 10-24 has HUGE distortion at the wider end ... something to keep in mind.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Sufstreet
Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 126
Some more Postcards from New Zealand
4

Great shots from the south!

Here are some from the north

@sufstreet

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

 Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,735
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Really nice scenes, Deed.    Very serene and comforting (it doesn't matter that those are not relatively uncommon sights - those conditions in that time won't ever occur  again exactly like you've captured 'em).    Glad to have seen them.   Good for you (both) for being able to get away and chill like that.

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T4
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,735
Re: Some more Postcards from New Zealand

Stunning work!   Respect.  

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T4
McWoodley
McWoodley Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Very nice NZ photos.  Just had Air NZ cancel our flights for October   Not very confident but hoping maybe we can get in, in January.

 McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +4 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Postcards from New Zealand

Bob Tullis wrote:

Really nice scenes, Deed. Very serene and comforting (it doesn't matter that those are not relatively uncommon sights - those conditions in that time won't ever occur again exactly like you've captured 'em). Glad to have seen them. Good for you (both) for being able to get away and chill like that.

Chill is possibly the correct expression! If you have your conversion table handy: -2 deg C was the lowest overnight and +10 during the day - but not everywhere.

When I took the first of the Lake Matheson (second to last) shot, it was around 5pm. I thought I would be ok to walk around the rest of the lake, typically just an hour or so to do. But then, there was first rain (what a surprise??) and then hail ....

The hail didn't add to the atmosphere. Much But still an ok trip.

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,989
Re: Some more Postcards from New Zealand

givepixachance wrote:

Great shots from the south!

Here are some from the north

@sufstreet

Some great shots you have here! You live in NZ? I am from the Shore

And that waterfall pic was that taken at the Mokoroa Falls?

Deed

Deed

 deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads