Kids indoor prime lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
mzzyhmd New Member • Posts: 7
Kids indoor prime lens

Hi,

I am going to buy XT3 in a couple of days but I am not so sure about the lenses I should get. Most important thing for me is fast focus to track a one year old, I also care about beautiful bokeh, color rendering and that special look. I want overall versatility to use indoors. Looking to buy two prime lenses for now.

23/2 and 50/2 is what I am considering

any thoughts?

mzzyhmd's gear list:mzzyhmd's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
casey1823 Contributing Member • Posts: 895
Re: Kids indoor prime lens

mzzyhmd wrote:

Hi,

I am going to buy XT3 in a couple of days but I am not so sure about the lenses I should get. Most important thing for me is fast focus to track a one year old, I also care about beautiful bokeh, color rendering and that special look. I want overall versatility to use indoors. Looking to buy two prime lenses for now.

any thoughts?

Well, I don't have the 23/2 but I have  35/2, 50/2 and 90/2.

I would also consider the 35/2. It really depends on how close your indoor pictures are? The 50 is nice, but inside it can be a little long. I like the 35/2 inside with the crop factor it's about 50mm. I find with the 35 I can always crop a little if needed.

You'll find all these lenses are fast focusing. The 50 will produce a little smoother background being 50mm. The faster versions 1.4 or 1.2 will create even more background blur but you lose some focus speed.

The F2 lenses are really nice for the money.

Good Luck!

-- hide signature --

Casey

casey1823's gear list:casey1823's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +4 more
Cagey75
Cagey75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

mzzyhmd wrote:

Hi,

any thoughts?

Nice combination that, the 23 for your wider shots of the kids running about, gives you more space and wider angles make it easier to get more in focus at wider apertures.  The 50 is one of Fuji's sharpest lenses, it's also a nice focal length for more candid upper body shots.  You can be further back and still get more intimate pictures.   You'll get nicer bokeh using this too.  A nice compromise in between the 2 is the 35 F2 obviously, then you could add the 90mm or the increasingly popular budget friendly Viltrox 85mm 1.8 - I just got one of these delivered today and I'm impressed.  More an out door lens though, very tight inside but still possible to get upper body portraits in larger rooms.

Cagey75's gear list:Cagey75's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 404

I would recommend the 23mm. Love mine, lots of time attached to my XT3. Beautiful images and fast enough to keep up with my dogs who live with us inside the house. The 50mm (75mm eq. field of view) in my opinion is too narrow, I like more dynamic compositions. All are great and congrats with the XT3!

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
G3_4_ME
G3_4_ME Regular Member • Posts: 238

mzzyhmd wrote:

Hi,

any thoughts?

For that age, I'd definitely go with the 23, especially that you'll be indoors.

-- hide signature --

Marc

G3_4_ME's gear list:G3_4_ME's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 228

The combo you have scoped out is fantastic. Of all the F2 lenses, the 50mm has the most stunning image quality. 
I would recommend a “separated set” – put some distance between your focal lengths – so the 23 + 50, or the 16 (either1.4 [better] or 2.8 [cheaper, smaller]) + 35mm.

The #1 thing I think of for kids is autofocus. The F2 lenses have easily the best autofocus among the primes. I will say the 16-55 is as good and likely better, but if you’re going for primes with fast AF, the F2 lenses are the bomb.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
dc_tonk Regular Member • Posts: 372

Depend on the space you’re working with, but I would suggest the 35 for portraits, 23 for a bit wider, or the 16 depending on the space you have.

dc_tonk's gear list:dc_tonk's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X-T3 +14 more
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,781

I'd prolly reach for a 35 - It loves children and is very versatile.  If they're playing in the yard, I'd grab a 50/2 or 90/2 (the output from either of these is going to beat all heck out of any zoom you've got).  Either 16 (1.4 or 2.8) would be my next prime. 16/35/90 covers 90% of my needs.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +39 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,903

The f2 Fuji lenses are good, with fast AF.  Only you can choose the focal length but 23 and 50 isn't a bad choice.  As to the "special look" that is down to the photographer not very much to the lens.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
LarsRost Contributing Member • Posts: 632

mzzyhmd wrote:

Hi,

any thoughts?

23/2  + 50/2 is a nice kit.  Then you can add the 90/2 and 16/1.4 and you'll have a very competent collection of lenses.

LarsRost's gear list:LarsRost's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
toomix Regular Member • Posts: 107

currently, I'm using 35/1.4 for my kids and it is an amazing lens. Considering 23/2 but I do worry about lack of sharpness in short-focus distance ... therefore maybe 1.4 version.

Do not worry about AF speed, I can tell about 1.4 version only, but do not have any problems to focus & track

toomix's gear list:toomix's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS M100 Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,903

"Considering 23/2 but I do worry about lack of sharpness in short-focus distance"

It is only close up and wide open.  You won't see it in most normal shooting.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,673

Basically all Fuji primes are great.

I don't know what your previous experience is, so no comment on the focal length.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
toomix Regular Member • Posts: 107

thanks Andrew, but indoor I will use close focusing and wide open, otherwise I can use 18-55@23mm which is outstanding

toomix's gear list:toomix's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS M100 Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,159

The 23mm f 2 will bemore versatile and the 50mm f 2 more useful for close ups and portraits

Both are excellent with fast and silent AF in low light

Both give very good results even at f2 with lovely bokehs. These statements of course are related to the price tag, rather affordable lenses, excellent quality/cost ratio

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
k4J98 Junior Member • Posts: 33

I'm partial to the 35 for my children because it feels faster than the 23 and 50, but that's purely anecdotal.

Since you'll be inside (presumably with less light), the Viltrox 23 or 33 might be worth considering, given their f/1.4 aperature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads