Is the Canon EOS R a 1 and done

Started 9 months ago | Questions
PJC Imagery Regular Member • Posts: 395
Is the Canon EOS R a 1 and done

Just wondering if there has been any news on the eos r line being continued or discontinued now that the r6 and r5 have been released.

Without having heard any news, I would think that the R line will continue just because of the growth of mirrorless.   It seems like there's room but just trying to figure where it fits.

I really like what I'm seeing from the r6 but after having the R for over a year I think 30 mp my ideal file size.

Any news or thoughts on this?  Peace!

PJC Imagery's gear list:PJC Imagery's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zman2596
zman2596 Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Is the Canon EOS R a 1 and done

No official word but it’s looking like the R and RP could be one and dones. They were stop gaps/intros to the Canon RF line. It looks like they are going to fill out their model lines with the new numbering system. I think they will still be produced for a while. I love my canon RP, which was my first mirrorless body.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +7 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,023
I'd expect ...

zman2596 wrote:

No official word but it’s looking like the R and RP could be one and dones. They were stop gaps/intros to the Canon RF line. It looks like they are going to fill out their model lines with the new numbering system. I think they will still be produced for a while. I love my canon RP, which was my first mirrorless body.

I'd expect the RP to continue on and get an update eventually, although no time real soon.  It is the low price introductory model as well as the small lightweight model.  So with it serving 2 purposes I'd expect it to stick around.  The R may well be a one and done model.  That would be a shame really as it seems to me there is a huge gap between the low MP R6 and high MP R5 that needs to be filed.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

myphotographic
myphotographic Regular Member • Posts: 147

zman2596 wrote:

I think the RP line is safe (although it may gain a number instead of RP mk II.). It was launched at $1300 and now sell at $999. The R6 is simply in a different price bracket, so the RP will continue as the cheap-as-possible FF gateway to RF.

IMO The R and R6 are too close on cost ($2300 vs $2400 at launch) for an R mk II that is a similarly priced evolution.  It could go up market and fit in the $3000-3500 price gap between R5 and R6 but if that was the plan, why didn't they leave themselves a gap in the numbering system? Calling the R6 the R7 would have made a lot of sense (echoing the 7D line but as a FF) and let them use the 6 for this theoretical upmarket R mk II.

A future lineup that goes RP Mk II > R6 > R mk II > R5 > R1 just seems a too illogical naming convention for Canon to tie themselves in to.

-- hide signature --

Paul

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,023
That actually ...

myphotographic wrote:

A future lineup that goes RP Mk II > R6 > R mk II > R5 > R1 just seems a too illogical naming convention for Canon to tie themselves in to.

That actually makes a lot of sense. The RP is something new that never existed in the FF DSLR world. The R6 is the mirrorless successor to the 6D series. The R is actually the successor to the 5DIV series. The R5 is the 5Ds successor. The R1 is 1Dx series successor when it appears.

Now they probably screwed up a bit with naming the first camera just 'R'. Will be interesting to see what nomenclature they give to what is the mirrorless successor of the 5DIV camera line in the future.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

shawnphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,307

PJC Imagery wrote:

Just wondering if there has been any news on the eos r line being continued or discontinued now that the r6 and r5 have been released.

Without having heard any news, I would think that the R line will continue just because of the growth of mirrorless. It seems like there's room but just trying to figure where it fits.

I really like what I'm seeing from the r6 but after having the R for over a year I think 30 mp my ideal file size.

Any news or thoughts on this? Peace!

Probably. The RP is too good compared to the new cameras for how much it costs. It's small, lightweight, and cheap, and it gets the job done. Great camera with the RF 70-200, tracks like a racehorse and rarely misses.

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +4 more
myphotographic
myphotographic Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: That actually ...

I disagree there. I think the R5 is the 5DIV successor; it's a bump up from 30MP not a decrease from 50MP of the 5Ds. There will also be a seperate R5s and will be circa 80MP (and will be the first Canon to use the IBIS for pixel shifting, just to really sell it being resolution heavyhitter).

-- hide signature --

Paul

Magnus Fröderberg Regular Member • Posts: 218

I have checked this with Canon HQ in Sweden and the Eos R and RP will still be sold.

Maby the production of the R has been stopped. Canon sometimes have very many cameras and lenses in stock since the produce in batches.

The Eos RP have a place in the market with it's lower pricepoint.

-- hide signature --

OT: Trying out the R6 with a very slow AF-lens today:

sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,573
Re: That actually ...

jwilliams wrote:

myphotographic wrote:

A future lineup that goes RP Mk II > R6 > R mk II > R5 > R1 just seems a too illogical naming convention for Canon to tie themselves in to.

That actually makes a lot of sense. The RP is something new that never existed in the FF DSLR world. The R6 is the mirrorless successor to the 6D series. The R is actually the successor to the 5DIV series. The R5 is the 5Ds successor. The R1 is 1Dx series successor when it appears.

Now they probably screwed up a bit with naming the first camera just 'R'. Will be interesting to see what nomenclature they give to what is the mirrorless successor of the 5DIV camera line in the future.

Nah, they didn't screw up with the naming. They did they same thing with their introduction to APS-C mirrorless when they launched the M.

Naming it the R was a signal that this camera is  serving a similar role. An initial, if slightly tentative, foray into full frame mirrorless, combining a lot of old and new tech,  but not the first in a series of newly designed cameras that will see various iterations over the years. I doubt we will ever see an R mark ii. It's a great camera though. Might become a collectors item some day.

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,962

I think it is one and done for R. However I can see RP as it is different with APS-C.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 752

I think it is unclear.  There could be a nice market for an R body without IBIS but still with some resolution.  And the RP is great as a very small body full frame.  My preferred alternative to the M series.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
OP PJC Imagery Regular Member • Posts: 395

Nothing official we're all speculating.

I suspect that the DSLR's will die out in a few years and Canon will have 5 mirrorless lines.  Not sure if there will be anything in the way of DSLR's.

The mirroless lines maybe the RP, R, R6, R5, and a R1 or RX.   I think there's room for all 5 lines in the near future.

What's next after mirrorless?  We've had silvered metal plates, cyanotype, polariods, film, dslr, mirrorless and ???

Peace!

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,300

The R is like 2 years old; no way will Canon discontinue it any time soon. They will just discount the hell out of it. R6 will probably come down in price next year, at which time the R will prob drop under $1500.

Personally I would love for Canon to consolidate the RP and R into one model with IBIS but I don't see that happening any time soon.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,060

I initially expected Canon to discontinue the R with the R6 announcement, but it appears that this is not the case.

If you think about it, Canon has to continue fabbing the R sensor anyway because it’s shared with the 5D4, and DIGIC 8 because it’s shared with the RP and other DSLRs, so the fixed cost involved in producing an R right now should be fairly modest.

I can see the R being discontinued if a 5D5 is announced, depriving the 5D4/R sensor of its other customer. But other rumors seem to say this is unlikely, which means the R will stick around for a while.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
SkySpades Regular Member • Posts: 209

I can see the R/RP being merged for the next generation.

Since Canon has a tendency to use old, already fabricated sensors in newer lower-end bodies, something that falls between the R and RP with the sensor from the R could end up being the entry-level full-frame mirrorless from Canon.

It will likely be a while before we see what direction Canon goes with entry-level, but I'm sure they want to keep the entry price for it below $1500.

SkySpades's gear list:SkySpades's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +1 more
OP PJC Imagery Regular Member • Posts: 395

sportyaccordy wrote:

The R is like 2 years old; no way will Canon discontinue it any time soon. They will just discount the hell out of it. R6 will probably come down in price next year, at which time the R will prob drop under $1500.

Personally I would love for Canon to consolidate the RP and R into one model with IBIS but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I think next year the RP will upgraded to have most of the features of the R and the R will be upgraded to have most of what the R6 has now. I see Canon leading by offering 5 levels of FF mirrorless cameras, while the competition offers 3 or 4.

At some point the RP will run $999 new, the R will run $1799 new, the R6 will run $2399, the R5 will sit at about $3500 and a new Flagship Canon model will run about $6000.  These are all future released date price points.

Just my speculation on what Canon will do, of course this is dependent on the camera market as a whole and how much it's effected by the camera phones.  Peace!

Glenn Haley Senior Member • Posts: 1,275

I agree with your praise for the RP but I sure wish Canon would make an R Pancake lens.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,300

Glenn Haley wrote:

I agree with your praise for the RP but I sure wish Canon would make an R Pancake lens.

FF MILC pancake lenses are not possible unless you want abysmal image quality.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Glenn Haley Senior Member • Posts: 1,275

I use a EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens on an RP with adapter and get very nice results. Could you explain to me why an R FF MILC pancake lens would not perform well?

zman2596
zman2596 Regular Member • Posts: 171

Glenn Haley wrote:

I use a EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens on an RP with adapter and get very nice results. Could you explain to me why an R FF MILC pancake lens would not perform well?

Same here. I keep it on mine a lot of the time, unless I’m using my 100-400 for wildlife and birds around the house and all.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads