What inexpensive telephoto lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
manso Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: What inexpensive telephoto lens?

As an immature photographer, I tend not to spend much on this expensive hoppy! So, I picked an old 4/3 telephoto lens (Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f4.0-5.6) and a 4/3 to M4/3 adapter. This combination gives me excellent images at low cost. I recently ordered RAYNOX DCR-2020PRO 2.2X convertor, and I hope this will give me even farther reach without much quality degradation!

manso's gear list:manso's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,287
Re: Not too promising

wb2trf wrote:

I think there are two tele lenses in the oly pipeline, a consumer one and a pro one. Supposedly the consumer one is due out this month, the pro later. The pro looks bulky as you say. The other one, cheaper smaller, was my hope.

I had the consumer one in mind. It's all relative, 1.2 kg is definitely lighter than >2 kg that I expect the PRO to be. And $1700 or whatever is going to be a lot cheaper than $12000 of the PRO (no idea, just guessing).

My point of reference was Panasonic 100-400. According to the leaks, Olympus will be larger, heavier and probably more expensive (and will support teleconverters). Alas, it might also perform better and hopefully not have the similar quality issues as Panasonic.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,228
Re: There are two 400mm lenses in Oly pipe

WhiteBeard wrote:

The problem is that the "consumer" one is supposed to begin at 1500$...

Sandra will not wear that price

You can get either of the 300 mm zooms for around 400$ used and for occasional "opportunistic birding", they will hit the spot.

In NZ the 75-300 II sells close to US$ 400.- new (NZ$ 660.-).

Furthermore, you will find that the diminutive and light E-M10 doesn't mate well with behemoth lenses.

Picture I saw this morning shows the consumer 100-400 with a tripod mount - which makes the E-M10 II an attachment for the lens, not the other way round.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II, SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
MalvinF Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: What inexpensive telephoto lens?

According to some, on the forthcoming release of the Olympus telephoto zooms, the bottom will fall out of the price of the used PanaLeica 100-400 market, so it may be prudent to wait until that happens, as no doubt a lot of people will be offloading perfectly good examples of this lens to get the latest and greatest - my thoughts would be lenses coming to the market at that point are more likely to be those that will have passed user quality control and handling, so it could be a good time to be in that market soon.

I also think it would be a good time for Panasonic to release a compatible teleconverter, maybe 1.25x so as to not push the limits too far but get good reach additions and useable f numbers still. I would certainly snap one up!

OP wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,263
Re: There are two 400mm lenses in Oly pipe

You're right about the 400mm. I didn't realize that the price and weight of the consumer one was out there yet.

The relative size compared to camera is of no matter to me.  I switched to the then Sony Nex and abandoned Canon dslr when that camera line first launched, although, obviously I'm not still using that model.

Thanks.

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 28,012
Give it a try.....

wb2trf wrote:

I just picked up today a very bargain priced e-m10 Mark III. Besides playing around with it for short term amusement, I was thinking maybe it could replace my aging Canon SX-50HS for casual bird and wildlife photography and provide noticeably better IQ. I'm only opportunistic, not serious, about this class of photography, but am happy to bring home from travels the random eagle or grizzly bear photo.

For this purpose my plan is to try it out with an old 300mm Canon FD MF prime that I have (not being used).

I would give the old Canon lens a try.  Adapted lenses  especially telephoto lenses, work very well on m4/3 cameras, especially with Olympus IBIS.  If you are from the manual focus Era, that might not be much of a handicap at all.

If it seems like the images are interesting then I'd buy a non-pro lens that will do similar, but with AF and that is smaller, much smaller. I see there is a 75-300mm Oly and a 100-300mm Panasonic (with new-to-me compatibility limits).

Is this a crazy plan? What would folks here recommend for a casual birding lens?

(As, fyi, I have a large lens ecosystem built around Sony mirrorless and shoot landscape and portrait with that. That's where my heart is. I don't have any telephoto lenses for that and consider the physical size and price of such FF lenses incompatible with my only modest interest in birds and wildlife.)

I really appreciate and comments you knowledgeable folks might be able to offer.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
OP wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,263
Here's why I've lost belief, for now.

If you see the above post "not looking so good" you'll see what happens when I try that. The e-m10 plus the Canon 300mm does not materially outperform the Canon SX-50 superzoom in terms of resolved detail.

There is a theory from another post that the Oly 300 would look enough better than the Canon FD 300mm to make the whole effort worthwhile, but I'm skeptical.  The reason I'm skeptical is that I happen to have a Sony A6000 and its own Sony 55-210mm consumer grade AF zoom.  The Canon FD 300mm, which is a zoom, set at 210mm has optical performance at least as good as the Sony at 210mm. I've done those tests too.  So I'm not confident that the 300mm Oly will give so much better performance than I'm seeing with the Canon SX-50, enough to justify buying the Oly 300mm. Make sense?

BTW the Oly om-d em10 III is a nice little camera and its been fun to play around with even if my ambitions for it are a little overblown.

acfo Contributing Member • Posts: 867
Re: Here's why I've lost belief, for now.

wb2trf wrote:

If you see the above post "not looking so good" you'll see what happens when I try that. The e-m10 plus the Canon 300mm does not materially outperform the Canon SX-50 superzoom in terms of resolved detail.

There is a theory from another post that the Oly 300 would look enough better than the Canon FD 300mm to make the whole effort worthwhile, but I'm skeptical. The reason I'm skeptical is that I happen to have a Sony A6000 and its own Sony 55-210mm consumer grade AF zoom. The Canon FD 300mm, which is a zoom, set at 210mm has optical performance at least as good as the Sony at 210mm. I've done those tests too. So I'm not confident that the 300mm Oly will give so much better performance than I'm seeing with the Canon SX-50, enough to justify buying the Oly 300mm. Make sense?

BTW the Oly om-d em10 III is a nice little camera and its been fun to play around with even if my ambitions for it are a little overblown.

With legacy glass I've found that stopping down improves the image quality. The image you posted also shows some other problems (CA?) which modern lenses correct with coatings or in body processing.

Imho your Sony and your em10 are sufficiently equal. If you're not getting fairly similar optical performance from both cameras then something is off.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 28,012
Correct....

acfo wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

There is a theory from another post that the Oly 300 would look enough better than the Canon FD 300mm to make the whole effort worthwhile, but I'm skeptical. The reason I'm skeptical is that I happen to have a Sony A6000 and its own Sony 55-210mm consumer grade AF zoom. The Canon FD 300mm, which is a zoom, set at 210mm has optical performance at least as good as the Sony at 210mm. I've done those tests too. So I'm not confident that the 300mm Oly will give so much better performance than I'm seeing with the Canon SX-50, enough to justify buying the Oly 300mm. Make sense?

With legacy glass I've found that stopping down improves the image quality. The image you posted also shows some other problems (CA?) which modern lenses correct with coatings or in body processing.

Imho your Sony and your em10 are sufficiently equal. If you're not getting fairly similar optical performance from both cameras then something is off.

This is true and I should have mentioned it.  With legacy glass you will have to do some things in PP that your camera automatically does with a modern native lens.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads