What is Your Control Ring Setting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,346
What is Your Control Ring Setting?

After seeing the DPReview R5 studio scene shots, the R5 sensor blows me away and made me a believer in the new mirrorless offering.  Because I still have a lot of EF lenses, I anticipate to use an EF to RF lens adapter.  I'm not sure if I should get the control ring version or not though.  How are the current RF shooters use their control rings?

-- hide signature --

Ray

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,090
Re: What is Your Control Ring Setting?

Ray Chen wrote:

After seeing the DPReview R5 studio scene shots, the R5 sensor blows me away and made me a believer in the new mirrorless offering. Because I still have a lot of EF lenses, I anticipate to use an EF to RF lens adapter. I'm not sure if I should get the control ring version or not though. How are the current RF shooters use their control rings?

Hi Ray Chen,

I have an R. When in Manual Mode I set the lens control ring to adjust Aperture (the top dial adjusts Shutter Speed - or, with the * button pressed, Exposure Compensation).

(When in Shutter or Aperture priority, I have the lens control ring set to adjust ISO - but with the caveat that the lens control ring is active only when the shutter is half pressed).

However the R5 boasts more control options than the R, so your choice may differ.

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

The control ring on the adapter is so near the camera body it's not as nice to use as the one on RF lenses.

I have set it to aperture, of course. Aperture rings should never have been taken from us. Setting aperture on the camera body is unnatural and will give you bad karma.

Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,247

I use it for exposure compensation ....

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Guus54 Regular Member • Posts: 245

I work with controlling: out!

I had several shoots, that I touch the ring during my work the aperture changed, without I wanted to. to dangerous when you are focused on what's happening while you shooting and I don't want constantly check nothing is changed on my camera.

Guus54's gear list:Guus54's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
SJPadraig
SJPadraig Regular Member • Posts: 105

Ray Chen wrote:

After seeing the DPReview R5 studio scene shots, the R5 sensor blows me away and made me a believer in the new mirrorless offering. Because I still have a lot of EF lenses, I anticipate to use an EF to RF lens adapter. I'm not sure if I should get the control ring version or not though. How are the current RF shooters use their control rings?

Disabled , while I like the flexibility I've yet to have a need to utilize this feature

-- hide signature --

SJ Padraig
IG = @sjpatg

SJPadraig's gear list:SJPadraig's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,247

Guus54 wrote:

I had several shoots, that I touch the ring during my work the aperture changed, without I wanted to. to dangerous when you are focused on what's happening while you shooting and I don't want constantly check nothing is changed on my camera.

You can block it , so that it, only works when you halfpress the shutterbutton

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,566

bionet wrote:

The control ring on the adapter is so near the camera body it's not as nice to use as the one on RF lenses.

I have set it to aperture, of course. Aperture rings should never have been taken from us. Setting aperture on the camera body is unnatural and will give you bad karma.

LOL the karma part is funny.

I am doubting what to do:

5D4:
Control ring on the lens/adapter = NA.
Control wheel on the back = Aperture.
Control dial at your index finger = Shutterspeed.

R5:
Control ring on the lens/adapter = Aperture?
Control wheel on the back = Aperture?
Control dial at your index finger = Shutterspeed.

So do I keep it in line with what my 5D4 does?  I am used to that wheel changing the aperture, since it's been like that ever since I had a 10D. But now it brings bad karma ;).
But yeah. first world problems and I think I'll stick to my memory muscled 'control wheel on the back = aperture' setting and use the control ring for something different.

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS RP Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 2,149

Exposure compensation.

-- hide signature --

Wait... is this a list?

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +7 more
Guus54 Regular Member • Posts: 245

Rawpaul wrote:

Guus54 wrote:

You can block it , so that it, only works when you halfpress the shutterbutton

I know, but several times it went wrong. don't use it no more

Guus54's gear list:Guus54's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
OP Ray Chen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,346
Re: Disabled Control Ring

SJPadraig wrote:

Ray Chen wrote:

Disabled , while I like the flexibility I've yet to have a need to utilize this feature

That's what I'm afraid of, can't find a good mapping for one's shooting habit.

On my DSLRs, I use SET + back wheel to change ISO.  Being mostly a manual shooter, I rarely use exposure compensation (only during occasional auto ISO.). I actually use the Q menu often to set camera parameters.

-- hide signature --

Ray

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Terry Danks Regular Member • Posts: 134

I find the CRs on the RF lenses very useful. Mine are set for exp. comp. Not sure I'd pay the premium for the adapter with the CR though.  Guess it depends how much time you'll be with EF lenses.

Terry Danks's gear list:Terry Danks's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 922

When using auto ISO, I use the control ring for exposure compensation.  In auto ISO, it has an ISO first bias - so it's basically an ISO adjustment.

If I set my ISO, I use the control ring for exposure comp.  In AV, exposure comp adjusts my shutter speed.  In TV, exposure comp adjusts my aperture.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Ray Chen wrote:

I originally used it for ISO, but ended up bumping it too much.  I know you can make it only active when the shutter button is depressed, but will still now use it for exposure comp.

On the R5 I will likely move ISO to top thumb dial as then I can have easy control of all elements in manual.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads