5D mark IV vs R6 vs R5

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,011
Re: 5D mark IV vs R6 vs R5

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

There is Photography and there is videography right?

So why is everybody doing reviews focusing about the video capabilities of these cameras?

Is worth upgrading to the R6 or R5 from the 5dmkIV?

The R5 with its stellar IBIS is IMHO well worth a look. Depends what you shoot and how much the cost matters to you...

Does the IBIS work with the IS turned on on EF lenses too?

DPReview TV just did a review of the R5 and said they got more stops of stabilisation with an EF lens when its IS was on than off.

BTW I have a 5Dsr and a GH5 (which has IBIS). The IBIS is really great with unstabilised lenses (so most primes).

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

So why is everybody doing reviews focusing about the video capabilities of these cameras?

The R5 with its stellar IBIS is IMHO well worth a look. Depends what you shoot and how much the cost matters to you...

DPReview TV just did a review of the R5 and said they got more stops of stabilisation with an EF lens when its IS was on than off.

Nice. I kind of assumed this wouldn't be the case, but I'm happy to be proven wrong about it.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +14 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,323

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Where is that review? I can’t seem to find it.

BTW I have a 5Dsr and a GH5 (which has IBIS). The IBIS is really great with unstabilised lenses (so most primes).

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,011

cpharm86 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSFGBYp_Tc&feature=emb_logo

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,323

Jon555 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSFGBYp_Tc&feature=emb_logo

Thank you!

rsmithsd73
rsmithsd73 Regular Member • Posts: 287

I love my 5DIV, 1DX and 7DII. I think they form a great team and I'm not breaking that up anytime soon. I'm pretty happy with my lens lineup and feel a good creative mojo going with what my bag tends to pack and put at my fingertips. I owned the EOSR. I liked it, but ultimately sold at a really good resale price (probably ended up making cost of ownership not far from a rental) and I'm sticking with my DSLRs. One tweak going forward, I do plan on picking up an iPhone 11 soon. What that means is that instead of packing a camera for a casual business trip where I won't have the bandwidth to do "intentional" photography, I'll be relying on the phone.

rsmithsd73's gear list:rsmithsd73's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +8 more
Geronimo73
Geronimo73 Regular Member • Posts: 187

Already sold my 5D4. Not sure yet wich R will get my money.

- no more mfa to set.

- zoom peaking right on the viewfinder.

- no AF point limitation.

Loves my 6D but sold it to get f/8 focus and better AF coverage with 5D4. But 5D4 is too much a pro camera for me and gave me headaches . I guess I will settle to the R6 and hope to fall back in love with photography again...

Geronimo73's gear list:Geronimo73's gear list
Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon Pixma Pro-100
Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 792

Did we get any info on R5 and R6's EVF timelag? Until that gets to unnoticeable I cannot go to MLC.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

Did we get any info on R5 and R6's EVF timelag? Until that gets to unnoticeable I cannot go to MLC.

It’s not unnoticeable. I did my research in to this issue, and until the lag can get below 1 millisecond (0.001s) then there will always be a perceptible lag.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
Geronimo73
Geronimo73 Regular Member • Posts: 187

Silly question but even if there's no lag on ovf, there's still a lag between the moment you push the button and the photo is taken,no ?

Does this latter lag is the same between 5D4 and R5/R6 ?

For sport/BIF shoot you get better fps and tracking with  R5/R6 so better chance to get it right, no ?

Geronimo73's gear list:Geronimo73's gear list
Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon Pixma Pro-100

Pocket Lint wrote:

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

It’s not unnoticeable. I did my research in to this issue, and until the lag can get below 1 millisecond (0.001s) then there will always be a perceptible lag.

I agree. time lag may or may not impact overall picture outcome but it bothers many users. So it needs to get fixed before people will be fully ready to embarrass MLC.

Are there any measured numbers on the lag time for R5 and R6 available yet?

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Geronimo73 wrote:

Silly question but even if there's no lag on ovf, there's still a lag between the moment you push the button and the photo is taken,no ?

Does this latter lag is the same between 5D4 and R5/R6 ?

For sport/BIF shoot you get better fps and tracking with R5/R6 so better chance to get it right, no ?

Latency between what you see and the time for the brain to process it is different from reaction times. 
Our body can intuitively adjust for reaction times naturally. Yes, this has been, and can be debated to great lengths, mostly because MLC users are very sensitive when someone criticizes mirrorless disadvantages.

Yes, you can adjust over time to get used to the latency of an EVF, however for some people, myself included, the latency is noticeable, and not the same as an OVF.

EVF technology still has room for improvement and as a whole, mirrorless should work on improving overall latency in the system. When that will happen? No one knows, could be years, could be decades, could be never!

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,616

1Dx4me wrote:

eac706 wrote:

i'd truly consider getting a nice "L" lens and enjoy it with my 5mk4--forgetting R5/R6 exist for a while. that is exactly what i am doing right now enjoying my new 5DsR and making some amazing shots with it! i'll post some of my very recent shots as soon as i am done PP and cropping them

BTW, an upgrade is not going to improve my photography, immediately, i'd work on that

The R5/6 are transformative cameras and will allow you to improve your photography almost immediately.  You need to experience eye AF to understand this.

Anyone using a 5DM4 / 5DSR will see immediate improvements in their photography when you combine 12 FPS and eye AF.

You may be happy with your current gear, but that is because you have not seen the light.

i rented the 1DX3 about a month ago just to get a feel for it.  While that is the most powerful Canon camera I had used up to then, it is put to shame in practical usage by the R5/6.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more

I just watched this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXPiu3wpBs

I don't think Canon 5D Mark V is dead. R5 will not have huge sales. It is over promising and under delivering; and it is way overpriced. I think 5D Mark V will be coming out next year.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads