5D mark IV vs R6 vs R5

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
eac706 Junior Member • Posts: 30
5D mark IV vs R6 vs R5

There is Photography and there is videography right?

So why is everybody doing reviews focusing about the video capabilities of these cameras?

Is worth upgrading to the R6 or R5 from the 5dmkIV?

eac706's gear list:eac706's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D +10 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,203
Re: 5D mark IV vs R6 vs R5

eac706 wrote:

So why is everybody doing reviews focusing about the video capabilities of these cameras?

The only answer I can give you is: Yes. There is videography and photography. Only you will know whether or not you should upgrade.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,234

Not interested in mirrorless been there done that no thanks, as for video i have yet to use the video feature zero interest for me. I will keep my trusty 5DIV for some time to come, anything else regards to mirrorless and their crap battery life no thanks.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams
Believe in Karma.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,929

eac706 wrote:

i wouldn't go crazy over R5/R6 until they come out and reviewed by credible sources and individual owners on the filed, then i'd let my personal feeling dictate whether i want one or not! canon 5Dmk4 is a proven excellent camera in every facet, so why compare it with some phantom cameras. that time will come when the 2 R cameras become available to the consumers and we'll see their capabilities.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,691

For me it would be yes providing I can live with the EVF. So I will have to rent one to try it out. I think the higher resolution (for cropping), better AF and higher FPS are the winners for me.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

gavin wrote:

For me it would be yes providing I can live with the EVF. So I will have to rent one to try it out. I think the higher resolution (for cropping), better AF and higher FPS are the winners for me.

I’m holding out to see real world tests and reviews from independent sources before I even consider it. One thing I’m not to keen on is it’s price. It’s a little steep just to get that extra 15 mega pickles coming from a 5DIV, sure the AF is better but it’s not like what I’m using now is holding me back. I get the debate, for having a hybrid stills/video camera, but it seems silly to include features that will overheat and be unusable. My stance on the matter is, if you need that type of video specs, you need a video dedicated camera!

Thats why I’m also hoping for a 5DV that’s a dedicated stills shooter, won’t overheat, won’t die after a couple hours of use and have to replace batteries. I’ll take a 5DV over Canons new mirrorless toys any day.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +3 more
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

eac706 wrote:

What can yo not do with your 5D4 that you want to do now? Or what features would make your photography easier or better?

I don't do video and not a pro so the 5D4 is more than I need but  Ilike it. In my best Mick Jagger voice " I know it's only a camera but I like it"

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more

eac706 wrote:

i'd truly consider getting a nice "L" lens and enjoy it with my 5mk4--forgetting R5/R6 exist for a while. that is exactly what i am doing right now enjoying my new 5DsR and making some amazing shots with it! i'll post some of my very recent shots as soon as i am done PP and cropping them

BTW, an upgrade is not going to improve my photography, immediately, i'd work on that

-- hide signature --

H2ODoctor
H2ODoctor Regular Member • Posts: 333

What do you usually photograph?

H2ODoctor's gear list:H2ODoctor's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
OP eac706 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Well anything, photography is a hobby. Landscapes, wildlife, macro, parties... but video is out of the question for me. Since I had got the 6D (my first video capable SLR) after my 40d in 2012 till to date maybe have 30 minutes of video! I am looking at the R5 because it is smaller, lighter, higher resolution for cropping, better AF and RF lenses seems the way to go. The R6 has a lower resolution than the mk IV.

Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D +10 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 420

i'd truly consider getting a nice "L" lens and enjoy it with my 5mk4--forgetting R5/R6 exist for a while...

I think is a wise move in you are not into video. I would love to buy the "basic" R nobody wants, but those sweet RF L-primes goes for like 2500+ each.

Sadly no more $150 40mm pancake or $125 Nifty 50s for mirrorless...

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,101

If I were starting out today I'd probably get the R5, based on what I've read. But I'm perfectly happy with my 5DIV along with its EF lenses, and I shall continue to savour its optical viewfinder.

I rarely take videos, and the 5DIV does everything I want in that department too.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,337

ASR45 wrote:

Not interested in mirrorless been there done that no thanks, as for video i have yet to use the video feature zero interest for me. I will keep my trusty 5DIV for some time to come, anything else regards to mirrorless and their crap battery life no thanks.

I understand what you are saying regarding mirrorless. It took me several years after ML was available to finally go conservatively and try the Canon RP.

I felt the same way going from film to digital. I used my Hasselblad and Canon EOS elan and 10s before I finally broke down and bought the Canon 10D well after many had digital cameras in their hands.

I sold my 5dMiii this year in anticipation of going ML. I should be picking up my R5 tomorrow but hanging on to my 1Dx for now!

At 67 years old I’m hoping there are not more quantum leaps I need to take but who knows.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,258

I am quite happy with my 5D Mark IV and the six or seven lenses I have and would not even be considering the mirrorless cameras, except:  I'm now 72 years old and those new lightweight supertelephoto lenses and extended zoom range lenses provide the opportunity to reduce the amount of weight I have to carry and provide even more "reach" than I am getting now. So if I had unlimited money, I'd be placing an order right now. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited cash reserves, so I will wait until either my cameras or my lenses or my back break.

CameraCarl wrote:

I am quite happy with my 5D Mark IV and the six or seven lenses I have and would not even be considering the mirrorless cameras, except: I'm now 72 years old and those new lightweight supertelephoto lenses and extended zoom range lenses provide the opportunity to reduce the amount of weight I have to carry and provide even more "reach" than I am getting now. So if I had unlimited money, I'd be placing an order right now. Unfortunately I don't have unlimited cash reserves, so I will wait until either my cameras or my lenses or my back break.

same here, Carl. we are almost the same age and my newly acquired 5DsR is serving me just fine. i am using it daily and get some real nice result. my 1Dx and 5DsR are too much camera for my capabilities to begin with, although i wouldn't mind picking up a R5 down the road but not for light weight purpose. believe me, my 5DsR feels a lot lighter that my 1Dx, no comparison.

there are 2 lenses that canon has introduced in R format that i lust after a lot and those being 100500mm zoom and 85mm f1.2 (DS) USM. i would love to get my hands on those 2, someday. good day.

regards.

-- hide signature --

G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

If you don't do video then I don't really see the R6 as much of an upgrade over the 5DIV.  Personally I am considering an R6 as my 6Dii just can't cut the mustard when it comes to video (which I do a lot of these days).  But for purely photography I would probably stick with my 6Dii let alone a 5Div.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
DocGee2 Regular Member • Posts: 107

Reading through this thread has left me with some conclusions about adding the R5 to my gear list or NOT.

Pros - 1. lightweight (good for us older guys), 2. More resolution, 3. AF, 4. FPS, 5. Lighter, more compact lenses

Cons - 1. EVF (big one!) 2. Price/cost (Need to buy camera and new lens set)

Did I get everything?

Jerry

Neowise with 5DMkIV and 800 mm

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027

eac706 wrote:

The R5 with its stellar IBIS is IMHO well worth a look. Depends what you shoot and how much the cost matters to you...

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
OP eac706 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

The R5 with its stellar IBIS is IMHO well worth a look. Depends what you shoot and how much the cost matters to you...

Does the IBIS work with the IS turned on on EF lenses too?

cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,337

eac706 wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

eac706 wrote:

Does the IBIS work with the IS turned on on EF lenses too?

Yes

Image stabilization by the camera reduces camera shake in still photo shooting. It can provide effective stabilization even when your lens is not equipped with Image Stabilizer. When using a lens equipped with Image Stabilizer, set the lens’s Image Stabilizer switch to on

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads