Nikon 58mm 1.4G VS 50mm 1.8s

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MartynD2oo
MartynD2oo Senior Member • Posts: 1,780
Nikon 58mm 1.4G VS 50mm 1.8s

Having recently picked up the new S 50mm I thought I'd post this comparison. I know they don't have the exact same setting or PP but still, you can grasp how these two lenses compare (or not)

No kids were chopped during the making of

MartynD2oo's gear list:MartynD2oo's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
TSWD Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: Nikon 58mm 1.4G VS 50mm 1.8s

First one 58mm?

You post excellent photos and have the advantage of using both, so why not give us your view?  I suspect the 58 is morE niche, but cannot be beaten in that niche.

My personal experience of 50mm focal length tis with the 50mm f1.8S, 50mm f1.4G, Zeiss f1.4 Milvus and Meike f.17 Z.  I would say the 50mm f1.4G is better than reputation would suggest, but can exhibit busy bokeh, CA, limited sharpness at wide apertures.  I love the look of the 58mm, just don’t shoot enough of these photos to justify the price.  The Zeiss Milvus is always aesthetically excellent and beats the Z 50mm S beyond f5.6, i.e. it is the better landscape lens for colour, contrast and edge to edge (not corner) sharpness stopped down.  The Z 50mm S is a great general purpose 50mm with auto focus, but can be beaten for colour, bokeh and full frame sharpness at small apertures.  It really is excellent at wider apertures though and a bargain and highly recommended.  The Meike is not the manual focus handling dream an old F mount lens is with its variable aperture ring forward of the focus ring, but is boringly fee of flaws, mechanically enjoyable to use and (perhaps due to field curvature) very strong in the corners.

TSWD's gear list:TSWD's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +19 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,700
Freckles

She has freckles, and he doesn't. Therefore, the 50mm S is way sharper

But, seriously, she does look sharper, but not sure that if you have the 58 1.4 you should get the 50 1.8....

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
AdaptedLenses Regular Member • Posts: 344

I had the pair a while back as well. I came to the conclusion that I (in post) could either selectively “over” sharpen the 58’s subject, or selectively add a bit of Gaussian blur to the 50S bokeh and they’d be pretty identical. 58 does have magic some times but 50 will probably give you more consistent results. When the 58 doesn’t give magic I find it less appealing.

MartynD2oo wrote:

Having recently picked up the new S 50mm I thought I'd post this comparison. I know they don't have the exact same setting or PP but still, you can grasp how these two lenses compare (or not)

No kids were chopped during the making of

AdaptedLenses's gear list:AdaptedLenses's gear list
Nikon Z5
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,131

Second looks more romantic, a bit too  much flare but likely due to framing. Both excellent actually, great subjects, congrats.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 393

The 50mm 1.8 does look sharper, but I like the OOF of the 58mm more. The only way to fix this is to shoot both at exactly the same time and replace the background in Photoshop with the 58's:)

...but seriously. Perhaps the 50mm 1.2 Z will be the perfect blend we're all looking for.

THKPIC's gear list:THKPIC's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,037

Hmm. The first shot looks real, like there's an actual, real human standing next to a pile of wood. More transparent, more honest, more realistic. The second shot isn't too impressive. Just lacks any sort of life or sense of realism to me. Plus that color fringing - ye gads, awful.

-m

run_cmd New Member • Posts: 4

Both really nice. What i notice is the sharpness in the 50mm pic, and the smooth midground in the 58 (you dont see individual blades of grass).

Just wanna say I love the lack of chromabs in the S after shooting with the 50 1.4 G and 1.8 D for years.

Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 30

Both look really good. The 58mm looks certainly more dreamy. I have to disagree with Mike, I find the 58mm in this situation more pleasing to look at. It is a more coherent look while with the Z50mm the subjects looks more cut out.

Color fringing can be a pain with the 58mm tho.

Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758

I think it is hard to tell because the subject and composition is not exactly the same ...

Also one image in itself is not enough to judge - as the question is how is the background painted by both lenses under different circumstances.

Obviously the 50mm f1.8s is technically sharper with less color fringing. Also it has greater depth of field due to shorter focal length.

KLaban Regular Member • Posts: 132

As someone who owns the 50 and is interested in the 58 I have to say I much prefer the first.

Hooray.

-- hide signature --
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,037

I think the fact that a) she's wearing a white dress and b) the composition is slightly different is why you're seeing more of a cut-out look in the 50/S shot.

The thing for me is this - I've seen other shots from the OP with the 58 that display the strengths of that lens (OOF transitions, bokeh), but with this one, I see primarily the flaws of the 58, not the strengths.

-m

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,728

anotherMike wrote:

I think the fact that a) she's wearing a white dress and b) the composition is slightly different is why you're seeing more of a cut-out look in the 50/S shot.

The thing for me is this - I've seen other shots from the OP with the 58 that display the strengths of that lens (OOF transitions, bokeh), but with this one, I see primarily the flaws of the 58, not the strengths.

-m

I'm with you on this, Mike. I have seen much better examples from the OP with the 58. For me, the 58 shot looks very ordinary, very little to like, the 50 f1.8S looks better in comparison.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more

I assume that in the 50mm image you were closer to the subject - as I would not expect the background to show as much blur if you shot both lenses from the same distance.

May I ask if you would please try a different test - take a picture of the same scene from the same distance. I would expect the 50mm lens to show much less blur in the background due to shorter focal length and slower max aperture. I would also suggest a subject distance of at least 3m as too close obviously the blur will be hard to judge.

I don't have the 50mm Z lens otherwise I would do the test.

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

I assume that in the 50mm image you were closer to the subject - as I would not expect the background to show as much blur if you shot both lenses from the same distance.

May I ask if you would please try a different test - take a picture of the same scene from the same distance. I would expect the 50mm lens to show much less blur in the background due to shorter focal length and slower max aperture. I would also suggest a subject distance of at least 3m as too close obviously the blur will be hard to judge.

I don't have the 50mm Z lens otherwise I would do the test.

I did a comparison a while back for my own purposes - where I compared the 58mm with the humble 50mm f1.8G.

The 50mm Z has a floating element design. This means that at closer distance it will have sharpness at the focus plane but it will defocus more rapidly. The 58mm lens has been deliberately designed without floating elements, and in this sense, it is similar to the 50mm f1.8G.

Here are my test images.

What you can observe I think is that when the framing is the same - subject distance adjusted, then the 58mm f1.4 has almost similar blur as the 50mm f1.8 - which is unusal characteristic of this lens. It defocuses slower than similar lenses.

50mm f1.8

58mm f1.4 - distance to subject same

58mm f1.4 - framing same as the 50mm f1.8 - distance not same

stratman1976
stratman1976 Contributing Member • Posts: 893

THKPIC wrote:

The 50mm 1.8 does look sharper, but I like the OOF of the 58mm more. The only way to fix this is to shoot both at exactly the same time and replace the background in Photoshop with the 58's:)

...but seriously. Perhaps the 50mm 1.2 Z will be the perfect blend we're all looking for.

If you look at the 50 at 100% you can see it's front focused and his face is blurry due to camera/subject movement.

The 58 shot has very little detail, look at her hair for example. Both shots would not be keepers for me. I want the subjects eyes/face to be sharp at this distance.

I like the poses, subjects and framing, very nice

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
MartynD2oo
OP MartynD2oo Senior Member • Posts: 1,780
My verdict?
Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
MartynD2oo
OP MartynD2oo Senior Member • Posts: 1,780
BTS (if you forget your reflector just use a table)
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Re: My verdict?

MartynD2oo wrote:

I've just put my 58G up for sale...

Looks like a wise move. There is no "there" there.

After paying what they paid, people would claim all sorts of magic, but it seems to be mostly snake oil, smoke, and mirrors.

Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: BTS (if you forget your reflector just use a table)

lol best.reflector.ever

I want to test the 58mm 1.4 with a much more busier background and highlights against the Z 50mm 1.8. That would really determine the true bokeh / oof king.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads