Blue Orchid?

Started 3 months ago | Photos
DNSJR
DNSJR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,421
Blue Orchid?

my wife received a blue orchid as a gift, the color was amazing; so I did some searching and found that in nature, there is no true blue orchid, white orchids are dyed blue

https://www.orchidplantcare.info/blue-black-orchids-do-they-really-exist/

thanks for looking

DNSJR's gear list:DNSJR's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Bob 1
Bob 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,602
Re: Blue Orchid?

Good Friday AM Daniel... A very interesting photo(s) and background information. It brought to my mind a comment my wife made concerning her Hydrangea plants. I noted that some of the first blooms were all white and then later the blooms were purple. She told me that the purple color was a result of the plant food she applied. Keep in mind that I only till the soil and take pictures... that's as far as my knowledge goes concerning plant colors Maybe this isn't the same way the Orchid are dyed (?)

I especially like the third photo... beautiful detail and color!

Oh, btw, did you have any problems this past week with J Beetles? This past Monday afternoon they were eating on all our plants!! Fortunately I had not yet used all of my insect dust and it drove them off or killed them (?) They are one mean eating machine Take care & HAGD!

Bob 1's gear list:Bob 1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +9 more
Thuja
Thuja Junior Member • Posts: 49

Photos looks nice and clean, and colorful. I liked that.

Thuja's gear list:Thuja's gear list
Panasonic ZS100
DNSJR
OP DNSJR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,421

Bob 1 wrote:

Good Friday AM Daniel... A very interesting photo(s) and background information. It brought to my mind a comment my wife made concerning her Hydrangea plants. I noted that some of the first blooms were all white and then later the blooms were purple. She told me that the purple color was a result of the plant food she applied. Keep in mind that I only till the soil and take pictures... that's as far as my knowledge goes concerning plant colors Maybe this isn't the same way the Orchid are dyed (?)

Hi Bob check these links about Hydrangea color, hope it helps

https://plantaddicts.com/changing-the-color-of-hydrangeas/

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/curious-chemistry-guides-hydrangea-colors

I especially like the third photo... beautiful detail and color!

Thanks so much!

Oh, btw, did you have any problems this past week with J Beetles? This past Monday afternoon they were eating on all our plants!! Fortunately I had not yet used all of my insect dust and it drove them off or killed them (?) They are one mean eating machine Take care & HAGD!

Yes, beetles are out in full force   good luck in getting rid of those eating machines

Thanks again, take care

Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
DNSJR

thank you!

clouseau
clouseau Regular Member • Posts: 422

Good photos DNSJR despite this strange unnatural color. Hope they will survive.

Vidau
Vidau Forum Pro • Posts: 21,721

DNSJR wrote:

my wife received a blue orchid as a gift, the color was amazing; so I did some searching and found that in nature, there is no true blue orchid, white orchids are dyed blue

https://www.orchidplantcare.info/blue-black-orchids-do-they-really-exist/

thanks for looking

Very good photos

Vidau's gear list:Vidau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +14 more
DNSJR

clouseau wrote:

Good photos DNSJR despite this strange unnatural color. Hope they will survive.

thank you closeau; it appears that the blue dye fads, some of the newer blooms are more white

DNSJR

thank you Vidau!

Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 298

Absolutely stunning photos! Love the colour.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
DNSJR

thank you Merlin5!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads