An XF10 make sense if I already have the 18mm f2?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 442
An XF10 make sense if I already have the 18mm f2?

Hello,

Since I bought my XT3 I decided to go all-in with the system and bought a few primes: 18mm f2, 23mm f2, 35mm f1.4, and 60mm f2.4.

I am getting more fond of the 18mm FoV, but I don't like to carry around the XT3 all the time, I take lots of pictures of my dogs with my iPhone, so I was thinking in getting a small interchangeable body like an XA7 for $500 to pair it with my 18mm, or getting an XF10 for $450.

I have never seen an XF10 in the flesh so I don't know how pocket really is vs an ILC body. I have seen plenty of pictures and the IQ is amazing.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: An XF10 make sense if I already have the 18mm f2?

You can get a xf10 for 250 if you search the web, the camera fits in a skinny jeans front pocket without any problem, i carry the camera almost 24/7 .

Just want to mention, that is not the fastest autofocus on the planet, for dogs moving around at dog speed maybe the focus will be a little slow. For street photography and still objects this camera is an absolute beast for the size/price.

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more
Hidden_camera
Hidden_camera New Member • Posts: 19

Get a used one and you won't be disappointed. Fits in a pocket and comes with a wrist strap.

-- hide signature --

The only person happy with a 100% crop is a farmer.

Hidden_camera's gear list:Hidden_camera's gear list
Fujifilm XF10
Foskito
OP Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 442

Thank you guys, I will take a look at the used market and see if I can find a good deal. I just checked my 18mm f2 and definitely the 18mm on the XF10 is considerably smaller.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067

Foskito wrote:

Thank you guys, I will take a look at the used market and see if I can find a good deal. I just checked my 18mm f2 and definitely the 18mm on the XF10 is considerably smaller.

Here's a comparison in size between my XF10 & X100F cameras.

XF10 & X100F cameras

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..
We all needs a little cheering up.

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Foskito

jshen808 wrote:

Foskito wrote:

XF10 & X100F cameras

Cheers!

Wow, there is a significant difference between the two and I guess also in weight. Thanks for sharing!

jshen808

Foskito wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Foskito wrote:

XF10 & X100F cameras

Cheers!

Wow, there is a significant difference between the two and I guess also in weight. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the XF10 camera is noticeably lighter in weight, which makes one hand taking pictures more easily.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,698

The X-A7 and 18 (or 27).  It becomes backup to your other gear, it lets you mount two lenses so less need to swap in the field, the pancake lens expands your X-T3 system.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,750

Foskito wrote:

Hello,

Since I bought my X-T3...

I have never seen an XF10 in the flesh so I don't know how pocket really is vs an ILC body. I have seen plenty of pictures and the IQ is amazing.

Camerasize.com didn't have a top view of the XF10, but the 70 is basically the same size.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78

Everybody else has pretty much hit the nail on the head, but I just recently picked up a used X70 (basically same size as XF10) for cheap and it's definitely very pocketable. My previous smallest combo was the X-T30 and 27mm f2.8. That would fit in the pocket of my large peacoat, but not really anything else. With the 18mm f2 on there, it would have to go in a bag for sure. I also love that the leaf shutter is whisper quiet with the X70.

I'd keep an eye out for the X70 as well if you're looking. It's a previous generation sensor (16MP vs 24MP) but they seem to be more or less equally regarded online. To me, the thing that stands out between them is that the X70 has a dedicated aperture ring and shutter speed dial, whereas the XF10 has no aperture ring and a PSAM dial. I was a little indifferent as to which one I ended up with, maybe with a slight preference for the X70 because of the manual controls, but I ended up finding a good deal on the X70 first so I pulled the trigger. I also think the gold XF10 is incredibly ugly and that's the one I had seen for as little as $250 on eBay. The black ones were always more expensive.

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
arjunmehta Junior Member • Posts: 36

The XF10 is a fantastically small camera and such a good deal for what it is.

But I do want to also echo the comment about focus speed and hit rate. For moving subjects, the low hit rate can be very frustrating. It’s a very slow camera all around. Even moving the focus point with the joystick is laggy.

You can enable touch focus, but that means the touch screen is on and settings often get accidentally changed because the camera is so small

For still subjects and compositions it’s wonderful. I use this camera more than any other simply because I can take it anywhere.

I hope Fuji updates this camera with a faster processor some time soon.

arjunmehta's gear list:arjunmehta's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +10 more
jshen808

arjunmehta wrote:

The XF10 is a fantastically small camera and such a good deal for what it is.

But I do want to also echo the comment about focus speed and hit rate. For moving subjects, the low hit rate can be very frustrating. It’s a very slow camera all around. Even moving the focus point with the joystick is laggy.

You can enable touch focus, but that means the touch screen is on and settings often get accidentally changed because the camera is so small

For still subjects and compositions it’s wonderful. I use this camera more than any other simply because I can take it anywhere.

I hope Fuji updates this camera with a faster processor some time soon.

The XF10 have a "snapshot" feature.

From the XF10 pdf manual.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..

Foskito

a_c_skinner wrote:

The X-A7 and 18 (or 27). It becomes backup to your other gear, it lets you mount two lenses so less need to swap in the field, the pancake lens expands your X-T3 system.

Correct, but my 18mm is already longer than the XF10 or X70, but there is the advantage of a tad shallower DoF and swapping as you said.

Foskito

I just did a quick search and there is a lot of love for the X70, so much that I saw a few used samples more expensive than brand new XF10s.

Foskito

But I do want to also echo the comment about focus speed and hit rate. For moving subjects, the low hit rate can be very frustrating..."

It is a shame this has to be a blind buy, there is no place where I can test it and the AF, some say it is fine, others despised it. I can easily capture my Corgis moving around inside the house with my X-T3 or the Sony RX100, but I want the Fuji IQ in the smallest package for when we travel with them.

Maybe will be another firmware update soon or an XF20, who knows.

jshen808

Foskito wrote:

But I do want to also echo the comment about focus speed and hit rate. For moving subjects, the low hit rate can be very frustrating..."

It is a shame this has to be a blind buy, there is no place where I can test it and the AF, some say it is fine, others despised it. I can easily capture my Corgis moving around inside the house with my X-T3 or the Sony RX100, but I want the Fuji IQ in the smallest package for when we travel with them.

Maybe will be another firmware update soon or an XF20, who knows.

The XF10 auto-focus is fine.

Just set it to AF-S and Center-focus.

And if want, can set to (S)hutter Priority using 1/400 or higher.

Recommend buying new, and update to the latest firmware version.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..

koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78

Foskito wrote:

I just did a quick search and there is a lot of love for the X70, so much that I saw a few used samples more expensive than brand new XF10s.

Yeah the XF10 is a pretty poor successor to the X70. A lot of people say it's not supposed to be, but they stopped selling the X70 so... But the X70 has the manual controls I mentioned, an X-Trans sensor (XF10 has 24MP Bayer sensor), and a flip-up selfie screen. I've seen used ones selling now for more than what they cost when they were new. Very strange since I'm pretty sure Fujifilm considered the camera a flop.

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
jshen808

koushiro wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Yeah the XF10 is a pretty poor successor to the X70. A lot of people say it's not supposed to be, but they stopped selling the X70 so... But the X70 has the manual controls I mentioned, an X-Trans sensor (XF10 has 24MP Bayer sensor), and a flip-up selfie screen. I've seen used ones selling now for more than what they cost when they were new. Very strange since I'm pretty sure Fujifilm considered the camera a flop.

From someone who owns both the XF10 & X70 cameras,

I can say this, there is nothing "lacking" about the XF10 camera.

Sure the X70 camera is "fancier", but I feel both cameras are real gems.

XF10 & X70 cameras

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..

Foskito

koushiro wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Yes, I did some research and there are used X70s in average condition with asking prices higher than new XF10s. As much as I like the aperture ring I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for one. Maybe the X-A7 is an option after all and I can use my lenses with it.

jshen808

Foskito wrote:

koushiro wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Yes, I did some research and there are used X70s in average condition with asking prices higher than new XF10s. As much as I like the aperture ring I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for one. Maybe the X-A7 is an option after all and I can use my lenses with it.

I'm sure the X-A7 is a good camera,

but it just will not be able to compare to the size of the XF10,

especially after attaching a lens to the X-A7 camera, however,

the strength of the X-A7 camera is be able to exchange lenses.

X-A7 & XF10 cameras

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads