How hot is too hot for 2019 mbp Lightroom import?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Chester McCheeserton Forum Member • Posts: 96
How hot is too hot for 2019 mbp Lightroom import?

Should I be concerned about the numbers below?

Running in clamshell mode with macbook pro in vertical stand with air vents on top with wide open access.  This was importing a couple hundred raws. It seemed pretty hot to the touch so I screenshotted from istat.  There were a few other programs open but nothing intense...maybe googling "2019 macbook pro how hot concern"...

Dust in the vents is not the answer.  At some point I was adjusting the fans to try and get things to quiet down, honestly can't remember if I reset to factory settings or not, but just want to make sure I'm not damaging my new machine, as this is the type of procedure I do regularly.  Fans were running I'd say medium audibly, not screaming tho.

Peter Guma
Peter Guma Regular Member • Posts: 302
Re: How hot is too hot for 2019 mbp Lightroom import?

Is that in fahrenheit? If its celsius i think you have a problem

-- hide signature --

Signature

Peter Guma's gear list:Peter Guma's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +2 more
OP Chester McCheeserton Forum Member • Posts: 96

Thanks, those numbers were in Fahrenheit.

So no problem then?

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,500

Below 100C for the processors isn't an issue.

I can't recall, but I don't think it's throttling at that point. I'd guess that not using it in clamshell mode might make it a bit cooler though.

h2odavid Regular Member • Posts: 218

I have a 2018 6 core 2.9 ghz MBP.  The computer gets uncomfortably hot doing lightroom.  I have to put a pillow between my lap and computer.  That is normal.

Remember, Apple designs its machines for looks, not function.  Such slim designs are always struggling to vent themselves.

h2odavid wrote:

I have a 2018 6 core 2.9 ghz MBP. The computer gets uncomfortably hot doing lightroom. I have to put a pillow between my lap and computer. That is normal.

Remember, Apple designs its machines for looks, not function. Such slim designs are always struggling to vent themselves.

One more thing, the battery only lasts a couple of hrs. doing Lightroom. Not the 10 hrs that Apple advertises.

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,300

h2odavid wrote:

I have a 2018 6 core 2.9 ghz MBP. The computer gets uncomfortably hot doing lightroom. I have to put a pillow between my lap and computer. That is normal.

Remember, Apple designs its machines for looks, not function. Such slim designs are always struggling to vent themselves.

You should be sure the pillow is not blocking any of the cooling vents.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more

Vents are only on the sides and back, not bottom.

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,300

h2odavid wrote:

I know that, but it is easy for a soft thing like a pillow or blanket to wrap around and cover the vents.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778

h2odavid wrote:

That makes the assumption that a MacBook Pro is only cooled via vents. I do not think so.

Since the first MacBook Pros 15 years ago, I’ve noticed fans coming on when all vents are free and unblocked, but the bottom is directly on a pillow or seat cushion. Take the laptop off it, and the fans stop and temps go down.

I concluded that the big flat metal bottom is part of a heat sink dependent on air flowing between it and the surface below, and when you cut that off, it compromises cooling. If it is on a hard surface, the feet on the bottom seem to raise the bottom just enough for air to flow across the metal bottom and carry away the heat there. But the feet are ineffective on soft surfaces so the bottom heat goes nowhere.

h2odavid wrote:

One more thing, the battery only lasts a couple of hrs. doing Lightroom. Not the 10 hrs that Apple advertises.

It will never be 10 hours with any pro graphics or video software, nothing special about Lightroom or Mac laptops in that regard. Apple clearly states the 10 hours are from “The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%.” Any buyer reading that should know that most meaningful work is harder on the battery than that.

The problem is most buyers don’t read that fine print at the bottom and get upset when they don’t get 10 hours of Final Cut Pro ProRes transcoding...well duh...

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

Fans were running I'd say medium audibly, not screaming tho.

If the fans are just at medium ,then I wouldn’t be worried about it.

The CPU usage on import is not about the import per se. It is about rendering every single raw in a row to generate previews. If you are making it generate 1:1 previews on import, then it is rendering every imported raw at full resolution. Since It does not use the GPU for this, it’s all on the CPU, so the CPUs work extra hard to get it done.

If you used the embedded previews option for instance, it would not need nearly as much CPU or get as hot. Instead of generating previews, it would just use the previews that came from the camera and only regenerate on demand the images you view in Develop.

Reviews I have seen are positive about the cooling abilities of the 2019 16” MacBook Pro so I don’t think it would overheat or throttle unnecessarily. It is seen as a major improvement over the last generations of the 15” MBP, which where widely criticized for poor cooling that held performance back.

2020 MBP with 5600 Radeon gets very HOT and LOUD. See this test

https://barefeats.com/16-inch-macbook-pro-5600M-heat-noise-test.html

Blunders
Blunders New Member • Posts: 24

As others have mentioned, it seems that Apple prefer MacBooks to run hot and quiet rather than cool and noisy. My 2012 MacBook Pro was getting too hot to touch when doing jobs like video rendering and Lightroom exports.

i reset the SMC but that didn’t help, so I installed Macs Fan Control from https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control and set it to control the fan speed based on CPU PECI temperature; the fan speeds up at 60 degrees C and maxes out at 80. Probably over-conservative but it works for me and keeps things nice and cool.

The app has a paid-for pro version with more options but the free version is doing what I require. I tried a few similar apps and found this one had a simple but intuitive interface.

I also found that FFMpeg is terrible for hogging the CPU and getting things hot, so I run AppPolice https://github.com/AppPolice/AppPolice and have it set to limit FFMpeg to 90% CPU (out of a maximum 400%). Render jobs obviously take longer but I’d rather wait than feel like I’m setting the MacBook on fire.

Blunders's gear list:Blunders's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +6 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,500

h2odavid wrote:

2020 MBP with 5600 Radeon gets very HOT and LOUD. See this test

https://barefeats.com/16-inch-macbook-pro-5600M-heat-noise-test.html

That's hotter than the desktops they tested it with (sort of a duh, but nice to have proof). But that still isn't hot enough to be any kind of problem. And 46 db? https://audiology-web.s3.amazonaws.com/migrated/NoiseChart_Poster-%208.5x11.pdf_5399b289427535.32730330.pdf

But if you're doing audio recording it would be an issue.

Thanks for the link, but I wouldn't agree with the characterization.

pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,393

Blunders wrote:

i reset the SMC but that didn’t help, so I installed Macs Fan Control from https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control and set it to control the fan speed based on CPU PECI temperature; the fan speeds up at 60 degrees C and maxes out at 80. Probably over-conservative but it works for me and keeps things nice and cool.

Macs Fan Control is the way to go. I want the fans running as fast and loud as necessary--both to avoid cooking the silicon and to minimize the CPU throttling that laptops are famous for. On my 2012 MBP, external cooling solutions are completely feeble compared running the internal fan(s) faster. Externals may help a tiny bit---I'd guess about ≈3%--- compared to just making the internal fans free to max out when necessary.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,362

At least we can buy extra batteries to swap in.  Oh, wait!

plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 832

Yes, for me also is MacFan the solution. On hot days, sitting outside, it feels fine to control the fans as I want. When I'm at places were everything is very quit I use Turbo Boost switcher. By disable turbo boost there is less fan need, so also less noise. I do not notice any performance issues.

So all in all, I think that for me this is a really good computer. But I don't use Lightroom, so that might make a difference.

Regards,

Jos

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7 Sony a7R II Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more

Gesture wrote:

At least we can buy extra batteries to swap in. Oh, wait!

Nice try at humor, but unfortunately...you proved to everybody that you are living in the 20th century.

I know what you are getting at, I bought two batteries for my PowerBook G3 Pismo 20 years ago because it had dual modular bays which were awesome for swapping drives, batteries, and more. You could load both batteries at the same time!

Battery swaps were beloved because they were all anyone ever knew. But you had to interrupt your work and shut down the computer because all power would be cut. The battery you swapped in was highly proprietary, expensive, and would never work with any future Mac laptop you were going to buy in the future. It was a major expense that was not future proof.

Fast forward to today. What do you do if you need more runtime and you are not near an outlet? No problem! Because Apple switched from proprietary MagSafe to open USB-C with Power Delivery, all you have to do is plug in any USB-C PD power bank with sufficient wattage, from any manufacturer.*

ALL of them cost less than what Apple used to charge for a battery module. It is your choice how much capacity you want, all the way up to the max you can legally carry on a plane. I think there are even some very high capacity ones if you aren't getting on a plane. Much more choice than before.

ALL of them can be used with any compatible MacBook or PC laptop with USB-C PD ports. If you change laptops to a different or newer model, no problem, you can still use that power bank!

ALL come with extra USB ports, so you can charge other devices too. Your phone, your iPad, your camera that does USB charging like my Sony. They are not one-trick pony battery modules with proprietary connectors that can only do one thing for one device. They are generally useful to have in the laptop bag.

Instead of shutting down the laptop to do a battery swap, you just need to plug in the USB-C PD battery before the internal goes dead. Just a break of a few seconds and you can pick up your work where you left off, without quitting anything. And if you aren't using the full power of the MBP, the external battery will charge the internal. Try that with a battery swap, where if the drained proprietary battery is outside the laptop, it is dead weight that nothing can recharge unless you brought a rare proprietary external AC charger. But a USB power bank can easily be recharged.

It's so easy to rile up the "I hate change" graybeards by going "waaah wahh no battery swap Apple EVIL!!!" But that is only for those stuck in the past who cannot see that the state of Mac mobile power today is much, much better than it was in the days of battery swapping!

*One forum poster has complained that not all of them work with his 2019 MBP, but that's not Apple's fault. Amazon is full of reviews of other MBP owners happily charging away from Anker, Ravpower, and other USB-PD 60+ watt power banks.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,362

Thanks. How much do these cost?  What would be realistic run time for a laptop?

I still consider it weird that we have to carry a power bank as big or bigger than a smart phone to be sure it has enough juice for the day, but so it is, I guess.

I am a dinosaur.  I do not believe in any locked-in not easily swapped component, especially the boot drive even more than the battery.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads