Wacom or my iPad for Photoshop?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 613
Wacom or my iPad for Photoshop?

Hello, All:

I use PS sparingly, usually nothing more than the healing brush.  For a current project involving an aerialist, I've been playing around with the superlative lasso tool to remove the ropes and such suspending her the in air,

For a first effort with my Magic Trackpad and clumsy fingers, it wasn't bad, but I am sure I can do better with the right tool.  I don't want to spend too much money, as I don't think this will be be a regular occurrence, but you never know.

I have Adobe LR PS CC, and an iPad.  I could get an Apple Pencil.  Or, an inexpensive Wacom tablet (apparently, there is quite a price range, so I'm not quite sure which one I need).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 832
Re: Wacom or my iPad for Photoshop?

I’m not using PS  but I do use the magic track pad from Apple. Did use it with my fingers but now I use a stylus pen. For the money, a few bucks, it’s worth to give it a try, anyway I’m very happy with it so I thought I mention it.

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
OP Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 613

Thanks - it never occurred to me that the pen worked with the trackpad!

Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,521

Adam007 wrote:

Hello, All:

I use PS sparingly, usually nothing more than the healing brush. For a current project involving an aerialist, I've been playing around with the superlative lasso tool to remove the ropes and such suspending her the in air,

For a first effort with my Magic Trackpad and clumsy fingers, it wasn't bad, but I am sure I can do better with the right tool. I don't want to spend too much money, as I don't think this will be be a regular occurrence, but you never know.

I have Adobe LR PS CC, and an iPad. I could get an Apple Pencil. Or, an inexpensive Wacom tablet (apparently, there is quite a price range, so I'm not quite sure which one I need).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

I would probably go for the wacom tablet. More settings etc.

There is however a special iPad version of affinity photo from serif, wich can be used with a pen.

OP Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 613

Which one would you recommend?  I am seeing conflicting things about using the Apple Pencil with my trackpad.  Thanks!

John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 1,840

Adam007 wrote:

Which one would you recommend? I am seeing conflicting things about using the Apple Pencil with my trackpad. Thanks!

I just tried my Apple pencil first gen on my MacBook Air trackpad.

Did not work.

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,779

Adam007 wrote:

I use PS sparingly, usually nothing more than the healing brush....

I have Adobe LR PS CC, and an iPad. I could get an Apple Pencil. Or, an inexpensive Wacom tablet (apparently, there is quite a price range, so I'm not quite sure which one I need).

Your use stated in the first line means you should not spend too much money. Your best option is probably an inexpensive tablet, which does not have to be Wacom.

The expensive tablets are for the artists who need the full expressive qualities of pressure sensitivity, tilt angle, or sensing the rotation of the stylus. Things you would do with a real world paintbrush or pencil. You are not doing all of those things, you are only using the healing brush or lasso that do not even require pressure.

The inexpensive Wacom tablets are more than good enough for what you are doing, and for painting masks and retouching. They still have pressure sensitivity in case you want to start using that. The most expensive Wacoms have a built in screen like an iPad, so you can draw directly on the image.

The Apple Pencil on the iPad has excellent pressure and tilt sensitivity. That is already more features than you need, which is why the Apple Pencil alone costs $100 or more depending on the version. Using the iPad as a tablet requires additional extra cost software unless you are using 10.15 Catalina which has that built in.

If you use a Wacom, you can keep your eyes on the screen while using the stylus because the pointer will support "hover" like when you move the mouse without pressing the mouse button. If you use an iPad, you keep your eyes on the iPad screen as you work because most iPad-Mac tablet solutions do not support cursor hover. If the iPad is smaller than your Mac screen, you have to choose between showing your Mac screen at a smaller scaled size on the iPad, or showing a portion of the Mac screen on the iPad.

Get the Wacom if you want a "mouse upgrade," get the Apple Pencil for your iPad if you run Catalina and you strongly prefer direct stylus editing on the screen.

You can save even more money with the Huion or XP-Pen tablets you find on Amazon. They are Wacom knockoffs. They work fine, but are less polished and quirkier than a Wacom and I don't like them as much.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,779

Adam007 wrote:

Which one would you recommend? I am seeing conflicting things about using the Apple Pencil with my trackpad. Thanks!

There are two kinds of stylus, that is why.

One kind of stylus is just a stick substitute for a finger. They have the same capacitance, so it works with a trackpad, a phone or tablet, any touch device that is looking for a finger. These can cost as little as $5. That is because, like a finger, they only sense touch. No pressure sensitivity, no tilt sensitivity, no extra buttons. But some people like them because the sharper tip means they can be more precise than a finger.

The other kind of stylus is a fully functional device on its own with internal electronics. The Apple Pencil and Wacom styluses are this type. These are also tightly integrated with the surfaces they work with. The Apple Pencil only works with the special sensing grid under the screen on specific iPads. The Wacom stylus only works over the electromagnetic resonance field above a Wacom tablet. These technical integrations between stylus and screen are why those are the best, most accurate, and highest performing.

If someone is using a stylus on a common trackpad, you know it is the dumb, simple, cheap, finger-substitute kind of stylus. An Apple Pencil or Wacom stylus will not interact with a common trackpad.

(There are a few PCs with trackpads with Wacom tech. Those do work with a Wacom stylus.)

plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 832

Yes, works fine. It’s not an Apple Pencil but a simple pen, no batteries,  that works as your finger should with a rubber end.

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,577

If you know Photoshop and want to use Photoshop you do not want the version that runs on IOS. The UI is different it needs to be and many of the features you use in Photoshop are not in the ISO version yet. some may never be in the IOS Photoshop. Some shortcuts are not the same don't ask me why. IMO even on IOS you need a keyboard when using Photoshop.

I read all that time the Apple Pencil II is the best feeling and responsive pen you can use. I only have an older 9,7 iPad Pro Apple Pen 1 support only and I do not use Photoshop on IOS I user windows where I have more than one display...

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads