I feel I kinda have to get the 10-24...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lens_Goat
Lens_Goat Contributing Member • Posts: 736
I feel I kinda have to get the 10-24...

Never seen the lens this cheap.

I've been shooting landscape for years and I've never owned a 16-35 equiv lens. Only time I've shot ultra wide angle on a mountain is with my new iPhone 11. I don't know if I'd get the 10-24 and wonder how I ever lived without it or I'd still gravitate towards my 16-55. Some of my favorite English landscapers make fine use out of their 24-70 equiv.

Do you think it's nuts that I haven't gotten the 10-24 as an avid landscape shooter?

I'm also wondering if the 10-24 will be updated as Fuji has promised us one zoom lens will be refreshed.

Lens_Goat's gear list:Lens_Goat's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,095
Re: I feel I kinda have to get the 10-24...

chLens_Goat wrote:

I've been shooting landscape for years and I've never owned a 16-35 equiv lens. Only time I've shot ultra wide angle on a mountain is with my new iPhone 11. I don't know if I'd get the 10-24 and wonder how I ever lived without it or I'd still gravitate towards my 16-55. Some of my favorite English landscapers make fine use out of their 24-70 equiv.

Do you think it's nuts that I haven't gotten the 10-24 as an avid landscape shooter?

I'm also wondering if the 10-24 will be updated as Fuji has promised us one zoom lens will be refreshed.

Hi, I am thinking the same. In my previous Nikon days I had a Sigma 10-20, so 15-30 equivalent. I used it a lot, including places, such as in Patagonia, where the scenery cried out for a wide angle.

On changing to Fuji, I initially got a 18-55 plus the 14/f2.8.  The 14 does not get a lot of use, although it was useful in the Alps last year, paired with the 18-55.  Now, having bought a 16-55, the 14 gets even less use as the difference in angle is less obvious to me.  With the cashback deal (£270), I am considering trading the 14 for the 10-24.  The 14 is a superb lens, but I am sure I would use the zoom more.

I assume you have seen Andy Mumford's YouTube on the 10-24. His opinion is pushing me towards it. I have until the end of August to decide, when I believe the cashback offer ceases.  Yes, it is possible the lens will be updated, but it will still be a good lens even if there is a Mk II and the latter's cost would be much higher (likely to be a higher retail price and no cashback).  If there is a new version in the pipeline, but who knows, I am sure that Fuji would be astute and not announce a Mk II until after the cashback period ceases.

As an aside, I had been watching a used one (described as mint) on eBay (in the UK), which sold last night for £15 more than a new one with cashback and without all the normal new protections.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Babu K Forum Member • Posts: 74

I have the 10-24 but I'm not a great fan of it.  Distortions are quite pronounced, and edge sharpness leaves to be desired, especially at close distances. In landscape photography all this might not matter that much, but I personally rarely do landscape.

I'd give the lens 4 1/2 stars for versatility, 3 stars for optical quality. Maybe I have a bad copy, who knows.  I also have the 14mm, and I'm very happy with it.

Babu K's gear list:Babu K's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +8 more
TrophyJem
TrophyJem Regular Member • Posts: 249

I have the 10-24 and its by far and away my most used lens for landscapes.

Yes at 10mm it can distort straight lines, but that's par for the course with wide lenses. There's not many straight lines in a landscape anyway.

My second most used lens is the 55-200mm. I find I rarely need between the 24 and 55, but if I do the kit lens does just fine.

Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,726
i.e., Is it crazy NOT to want an UWA zoom?

Lens_Goat wrote:

Not at all.   Landscapes aren't defined by how wide a perspective that can be had - telephotos are often enough used for landscapes as well.

For the occasional want for an UW perspective, you have the 14mm.  Additionally, you can use the 14mm and/or the 16-35 to stitch for an UWA result.

Yet, wants and needs may well evolve over time.

I  wouldn't know.

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,726

Babu K wrote:

I have the 10-24 but I'm not a great fan of it. Distortions are quite pronounced, and edge sharpness leaves to be desired, especially at close distances. In landscape photography all this might not matter that much, but I personally rarely do landscape.

I'm also not overly impressed  with mine either.    It's not sharpness per se in my experience, but the quality of what's not quite in focus with close-ups, at the edges.  But stopped down it's quite fine for typical landscape usage.

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
AndyH44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,012

You can always rent one and see for yourself.  Doing just that convinced me to purchase mine, which has proved to be excellent on my X-T20 as a one lens travel combo. 

-- hide signature --

"True craftsmen never blame their tools, but learn to use them properly"

AndyH44's gear list:AndyH44's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Fujifilm X-E2S +4 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567
Sometimes...

Lens_Goat wrote:

10-24 is the best option for landscapes and travel. For example when I have visited Switzerland and The Alps.  Also difficult places indoors - when you cannot zoom with your feet ( that can not be done in the Alps or inside small churches)

If you want to have a more scientific opinion of the optical quality there are reviews, for example OpticalLimits has made a nice test/review. IMO the optical quality is very good !

Jerusalem

Switzerland

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Arjan NL
Arjan NL Forum Member • Posts: 98

Depends on what you shoot.. while travelling it hardly leaves my camera. It's light, sharp and versatile. By far my most used lens.

Arjan NL's gear list:Arjan NL's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,039

I would not say you are nuts, but it is pretty unbelievable because the 10-24 is essential gear for most (I should say all) Fuji travel, architecture, street, city, hiking and walking-shooting shooters.  It is a fantastic lens with amazing size/weight/ergo/IQ for that big wide zoom range.

It is The Fuji XF lens for walking landscapes and I never went on a hike or city walk without that lens.  I gave the lens away when I got the 8-16, but I will buy it again when I start shooting X again, which I already would have done if the XT-4 didn't have that damn video flip screen.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
dht Regular Member • Posts: 236

I've used the 10-24 for nearly 2 years, and can say that it is a high quality, versatile lens. When shooting outdoors in good light, I often bring just 2 lenses -- the 10-24 and the 50-230. Between these two I feel like I can cover every kind of shot.

Image quality wise, I find the 10-24 very sharp up until around 20mm or so, where it gets ever so slightly softer. If you're not pixel peeping, I don't think its a big problem however. There are times that I wish it were faster than F4, but most of the time I can make due.

The lens focuses quickly, and the IS makes it very good for video. I do wish it were weather sealed, which it probably should be for this price. Its not the smallest lens by any means, however its not huge either. I find that it feels somewhat lighter than it looks.

I did consider primes (14mm, 16mm) for wide angle, but decided to go for versatility over wide aperture and ultimate sharpness. So far I've been happy with that decision.

dht's gear list:dht's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a6400 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,039

I agree.  I always shot the 10-24 at 10-14 only.  Not because of quality reasons really.  But just because I used it only for the wide end.  If I needed 16 or above, I had far better choices in the bag. Immensely better.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
TheWhiteDog Contributing Member • Posts: 510
Re: Have the 14mm maybe will get the10-24...

I have the 14mm, fantastic lens, unlike the 10-24 optically corrected for distortion, which is why comparing the two on Optical Limits doesn't make sense. Optical Limits does not use in camera corrections when evaluating sharpness so the 10-24 is going to be less sharp in the corners in real life(have to you the in camera corrections to get rid of the distortion).

However, the difference between 10mm & 14mm is huge and I've certainly seen some great images taken with this lens, I'm sure stopping in down a little will help. I passed on the 8-16mm deal mainly because of weight and the need to spend so much more on a filter system(still not sure I made the right move doing passing on that lens) so I think I'll go for this deal as it's a really good one and will open up more photographic opportunities for me. But I'll never desert the 14mm, I really have so,so much respect for what it can do-highly underrated gem of a lens.

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
TheWhiteDog Contributing Member • Posts: 510

The 55-200 is a steal of a lens, at least in the Fuji lineup.

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 228

Lens_Goat wrote:

Not at all. That 16-55 on a tripod that can support it is a gem. If the scene is too wide, and depending on your style, you can always stitch together a pano as well.

As far as I am aware, there is no concrete source for this other than FujiRumors. But the telltale signs are everywhere – this sale, and thread, included – but I will stop my conspiracy theories there

Agreed that it's probably the best chance you'll ever find to purchase this lens new.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
athensGA Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Lens_Goat wrote:

It's a very versatile lens, and though not officially waterproof it is pretty rugged. I'm not much into exploring the optical qualities of lenses but i've been generally pleased by this lens' output. I do general purpose photography, but mainly street. I've pretty much lived my 'career' at 28-50mm eq but was really excited and inspired at what new things the 10-24 has allowed me to do. Here are a couple examples of 'street' shots i could have never gotten with a 35mm eq lens. If i had to choose one fuji lens this one would be on a very short list. Your flickr photostream has some really solid landscape photography, btw.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83702654@N07/

athensGA's gear list:athensGA's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
JohnC88 Forum Member • Posts: 65

I'm weak. 

Mine will be here Thursday. 

21William Regular Member • Posts: 350

I’m new to Fuji and got a white box 18-55mm to go with a bargain price new X-H1. I’m used to having a 8-16mm on my old Pentax K5 though so I wanted something to replace it. The current £270 cashback on the Fuji XF 10-24mm was too hard to resist so I bought one and my claim is in and accepted. I did the brick wall test at different zoom settings and apertures and I seem to have a good copy.

21William's gear list:21William's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 228

21William wrote:

I’m new to Fuji and got a white box 18-55mm to go with a bargain price new X-H1. I’m used to having a 8-16mm on my old Pentax K5 though so I wanted something to replace it. The current £270 cashback on the Fuji XF 10-24mm was too hard to resist so I bought one and my claim is in and accepted. I did the brick wall test at different zoom settings and apertures and I seem to have a good copy.

Congrats! You'll enjoy it. If you want to doublecheck the copy, try out a decentering test.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Snap Happy Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

Lens_Goat wrote:

I had the 10-24 then sold it a few years back.... which I kind of regret and just recently hankered after a wide angle zoom, so got the Canon 10-18 (I already had a Fringer).

Bottom line though, the current 10-24 offer (in UK) is very good, many dealers have used examples at higher prices then the net price of a new lens after cashback, so it feels like if you changed your mind you wouldn't lose much on resale.

Unless, of course, the rumoured MKII zoom is a 10-24 replacement (which might explain the heavy discount), then the used price will likely tumble.

But, it's still a good lens at a great price, so may be worth getting.

Snap Happy's gear list:Snap Happy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads