a6400 focus point in the center

Started 8 months ago | Questions
burevestnik Forum Member • Posts: 87
a6400 focus point in the center

Dear all,

I have Sony a6400 and like it very much. Unfortunately, I have a problem, for which I cannot find a solution myself.

What do I have to do with my Sony a6400 to have focus point always in the center? By always, I mean always, at least in P mode.

I used to have Canon DSLRs and there is a setting to "glue" focus point to the center of the screen, and it was always there!

The similar setting exists in Sony, but even if I set Focus to the center in the menu or by using Fn button, the next time I try to shoot, it moves usually to the lower right corner or sometimes somewhere else. I can bring it back to the center by touching touchpad, but it is not productive and cumbersome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

burevestnik's gear list:burevestnik's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
maccam
maccam Senior Member • Posts: 1,292
Re: a6400 focus point in the center

burevestnik wrote:

Dear all,

I have Sony a6400 and like it very much. Unfortunately, I have a problem, for which I cannot find a solution myself.

What do I have to do with my Sony a6400 to have focus point always in the center? By always, I mean always, at least in P mode.

I used to have Canon DSLRs and there is a setting to "glue" focus point to the center of the screen, and it was always there!

The similar setting exists in Sony, but even if I set Focus to the center in the menu or by using Fn button, the next time I try to shoot, it moves usually to the lower right corner or sometimes somewhere else. I can bring it back to the center by touching touchpad, but it is not productive and cumbersome.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I don't have a 6400 but I do have a 6500 and a 6600. They both have "focus area center". I tried and I cannot get it to move off center even if I turn the camera off. there's got to be something you have set that's interfering. I don't know what that would be. You could chose flexible spot and then never move it.

JAW

maccam's gear list:maccam's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a5100 Sony a6500 +14 more
Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

AF-S center will give you a traditional center spot. In AF-C  mode it will not always stay on center, but a simple press of the central enter button will re-center it.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,314

It sounds like you're inadvertently moving your focal point by touching the touchscreen, likely while moving the LCD into different tilting configurations or by hitting the LCD with your nose.

The easiest solution is to turn off the touchscreen, which should be under the "Tools" menu.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
BrentSchumer

Stan in NH wrote:

AF-S center will give you a traditional center spot. In AF-C mode it will not always stay on center, but a simple press of the central enter button will re-center it.

This is incorrect. You can move the location of the focus point in AF-S or AF-C if you touch the touchscreen while in "Center" AF mode.

Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

BrentSchumer wrote:

Stan in NH wrote:

AF-S center will give you a traditional center spot. In AF-C mode it will not always stay on center, but a simple press of the central enter button will re-center it.

This is incorrect. You can move the location of the focus point in AF-S or AF-C if you touch the touchscreen while in "Center" AF mode.

You can always move it, but the OP wants to know how to keep it centered.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400
BrentSchumer

Stan in NH wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

Stan in NH wrote:

You can always move it, but the OP wants to know how to keep it centered.

Right, I'm just saying that AF-S or AF-C will work the same with flexibility of the center focus point.  Once you start moving the point on the touchscreen, either drive mode will work the same.

Source: I'm holding the A6400.

OP burevestnik Forum Member • Posts: 87

This may be it, but I used to have touchscreen Canon T4i and never had this problem...

I will try

P Harg Forum Member • Posts: 86

Does the exposure depend on where the focus point is?

-- hide signature --

Peter

BrentSchumer

P Harg wrote:

Does the exposure depend on where the focus point is?

That depends on which metering mode you're using.

Selects the metering mode that sets which part of the screen to measure for determining the exposure.

1. MENU →

(Camera Settings1) → [Metering Mode] → desired setting.

Menu item details

Multi: Measures light on each area after dividing the total area into multiple areas and determines the proper exposure of the entire screen (Multi-pattern metering).

Center: Measures the average brightness of the entire screen, while emphasizing the central area of the screen (Center-weighted metering).

Spot: Measures only the central area (Spot metering). This mode is suitable for measuring light on a specified part of the entire screen. The size of the metering circle can be selected from [Spot: Standard] and [Spot: Large]. The position of the metering circle depends the setting for [Spot Metering Point].

Entire Screen Avg.: Measures the average brightness of the entire screen. The exposure will be stable even if the composition or the position of the subject changes.

Highlight:Measures the brightness while emphasizing the highlighted area on the screen. This mode is suitable for shooting the subject while avoiding overexposure.

Hint

• When [Spot] is selected and [Focus Area] is set to either [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot] while [Spot Metering Point] is set to [Focus Point Link], the spot metering point can be coordinated with the focus area.
  • When [Multi] is selected and [Face Priority in Multi Metering] is set to [On], the camera measures brightness based on detected faces.
  • When [Metering Mode] is set to [Highlight] and the [D-Range Optimizer] or [Auto HDR] function is activated, the brightness and the contrast will be corrected automatically by dividing the image into small areas and analyzing the contrast of light and shadow. Make settings based on the shooting circumstances.

Note

• [Metering Mode] is locked to [Multi] in the following shooting modes:
    • [Intelligent Auto]
    • [Superior Auto]
    • [Scene Selection]
    • Other zoom functions than the optical zoom
  • In [Highlight] mode, the subject may be dark if a brighter part exists on the screen.

Note that spot/focus area metering does not follow the focus area if you are using a tracking AF mode.

OP burevestnik Forum Member • Posts: 87

I disabled touchscreen option and it worked! Focus stays in the center! That was my cheek probably that was moving the focus

Thank you all!

Thank you, that's very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Peter

Thank you for that information. I wonder why it doesn't do that?

-- hide signature --

Peter

Kogel
Kogel Regular Member • Posts: 169

You can assign "Focus Standard" to a button, this will trigger center AF while the button is pressed.

Or just use center-AF (I recommend Expand Flexible Spot instead)

Kogel's gear list:Kogel's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV GoPro Hero8 Black Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads