Nikon B700 jpeg, raw, AI sharpen

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
GeoHiker New Member • Posts: 17
Nikon B700 jpeg, raw, AI sharpen

I've been using the Panasonic GX85 for the past few years with a 100-300 mm lens but decided to switch to an ultrazoom, as I'm starting to do some long distance hikes and want something that's more versatile, lighter weight, with a longer reach. I was lucky to find a used Nikon B700 for cheap on EBay.

I knew that the B700's smaller sensor wouldn't match the micro 4/3 sensor of the GX85, but at least the B700 had raw capture. After testing the B700, I'm happy to say the final results using raw images processed in combination with Topaz AI Sharpen and Luminar 4 has given me results I'm happy with. Processing the jpegs created overly sharpened images. I'm far from an expert using photography software, but here's my first pass at tweaking:

I printed a 8 x 10" version of the photo below and the raw version was nice and clean, while the jpeg version had lots of artifacts.

Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,422
Re: Nikon B700 jpeg, raw, AI sharpen

Reduce your jpeg sharpening and see the difference. Look at page 128 of the manual and reduce sharpening, then see how your result looks more like the raw when sharpened. I've discovered that the camera can do as good a job as I can post processing raw, if I just select the right options. It takes time to figure out the best options, but when you find them, you will save a lot of time post processing.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,320

Congrats on your B700 camera!

The B700 camera is really fantastic.

Great work & results with the raw files.

As mentioned, when shooting jpegs, and wants to keep the noise low, try reducing the sharpening.

Can try this, set the Sharpening to "0" (zero), and set the Noise Reduction to "Low".

For general photography, I set the sharpening one notch below the default setting, and set the noise reduction to "low".

Couple more things, I prefer to set the Active-D Lighting to "Off", and don't taking pictures using f/8, keep it below.

You're doing great with your B700, have fun taking pictures.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..
We all needs a little cheering up.

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
OP GeoHiker New Member • Posts: 17

Thanks for the tips. Admittedly, I skimmed through the manual. I'm going out tomorrow and will try the new settings....

Picture Control....Standard

Image sharpening at 0, contrast 0, saturation +1

I alredy had Active D-Lighting offN and noise reduction filter set to NR- Low.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,320

GeoHiker wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Admittedly, I skimmed through the manual. I'm going out tomorrow and will try the new settings....

Picture Control....Standard

Image sharpening at 0, contrast 0, saturation +1

I alredy had Active D-Lighting offN and noise reduction filter set to NR- Low.

Sounds good, give those settings a try!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..
We all needs a little cheering up.

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,237

Well, what do I know about anything? But to me, the original JPEGs look the best of any of them.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,543

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Well, what do I know about anything? But to me, the original JPEGs look the best of any of them.

+1 Steve my friend!

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads