R6 Raw files

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lbs26
Lbs26 Forum Member • Posts: 51
R6 Raw files

Hi folks...i see that Dpreview added a bunch of raw files from Canon R6...is it there a new version/update of Adobe Dng or Photoshop that can handle this Raw samples ?

Lbs26's gear list:Lbs26's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: R6 Raw files

It should just be CR3 files which any of the updated decent post processing software should be able to handle.

Also the RAW IMAGE EXTENSION by Microsoft on the Microsoft Store will update you to viewing CR3 files.

Please note: none of these to my knowledge handle the CRAW format. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM +3 more
rjp85 Regular Member • Posts: 212

Lbs26 wrote:

Hi folks...i see that Dpreview added a bunch of raw files from Canon R6...is it there a new version/update of Adobe Dng or Photoshop that can handle this Raw samples ?

No. There isn't.

BUT, I used EXIFTOOL to modify the CR3 files so that Camera RAW thinks they are from the 1DX3, then I opened them in Camera RAW, converted them to DNG files, and opened them in Capture One Pro (because I only use C1 Pro, not ACR).

I used the following command lines in ExifTool:

exiftool -Model="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" *.CR3
exiftool -CanonImageType="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" *.CR3
exiftool -CanonModelID="EOS-1D X Mark III" *.CR3

johncal Regular Member • Posts: 220

rjp85 wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

No. There isn't.

BUT, I used EXIFTOOL to modify the CR3 files so that Camera RAW thinks they are from the 1DX3, then I opened them in Camera RAW, converted them to DNG files, and opened them in Capture One Pro (because I only use C1 Pro, not ACR).

I stand corrected. The poster above is correct. Because it is camera specific there is no support other than indicated as above. The Windows Raw Extension will however allow you to view thumbnails in the file explorer.

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM +3 more
Lbs26
OP Lbs26 Forum Member • Posts: 51

rjp85 wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

No. There isn't.

Worked,thanks alot !!II tried R5 and R6 raw files...the dynamic range is TOP  !Very impressed...its very similar to d810 and a7r3...!And there is no more the ugly banding from Eos R and 5d mark IV

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
koenkooi Regular Member • Posts: 426

rjp85 wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

No. There isn't.

FWIW you can do that in one go:

exiftool -Model="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" -CanonImageType="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" -CanonModelID="EOS-1D X Mark III" *.CR3

koenkooi's gear list:koenkooi's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5 +19 more
bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
R5 files look great

Great. I developed a few R5 files with DPP with all corrections turned off and no NR, they look really good. High ISO noise is mostly luma, the chroma noise cleans up very nicely.

And the basic sharpness per pixel is more like the old 5D II. Less soft than the 6D II / 5D IV / R / RP sensor output.

JWAR1976 Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: R5 files look great

I was able to import directly into LR Classic without any problems, editing them on my 7th Gen i7 was done seamlessly.

-- hide signature --

With Wildlife photography you don’t need to ask the creatures to sign release forms.

JWAR1976's gear list:JWAR1976's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +8 more
bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
Re: R5 files look great

Cool. I used DPP because it applies no baseline NR or other "enhancements".

Cat image with all NR turned off:

http://leitseite.net/photo/misc/katze.jpg

Another image with all enhancements turned off, unsharp mask strength 4, threshold 1, fineness 1:

http://leitseite.net/photo/misc/012A0720.JPG

I think unsharp mask 4 is about the same as 3 with the old 5D2 sensor, while for the newer sensors like R/RP it was 5-6.

Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,042

rjp85 wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

No. There isn't.

Thanks!!!

-- hide signature --

Joe

juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

koenkooi wrote:

rjp85 wrote:

Lbs26 wrote:

No. There isn't.

FWIW you can do that in one go:

exiftool -Model="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" -CanonImageType="Canon EOS-1D X Mark III" -CanonModelID="EOS-1D X Mark III" *.CR3

Thank you so much! I tried this a few days ago but didn't work as I was only changing the tag "model" and not the other two. Now it works fine for the R6 files, but not for the R5. Any idea?

BTW I just ported the Camera Standard profile in Lightroom from the 5D mark 3 to the 1Dx Mark III and used it to develop a couple of R6 pictures (previously changed to 1Dx III). The results are not too bad, better than adobe profiles as usual.

EDIT: just realised that a couple of those are from the R5 actually, I will try some more from the R5 haha.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +9 more
Lbs26
OP Lbs26 Forum Member • Posts: 51

Looks very good the shadows recovery on R5...it is on par with d810 and a7r3-4...

Yaamon Senior Member • Posts: 1,750
Canon DPP 4.12.60

Canon new release of DPP 4.12.60 can open the raw files.

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800 Canon EOS R Sony a7R III Sony SLT-A77 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads