Lenses for the CL?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Marie Meyer Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Lenses for the CL?

Newbie question here: could you explain what lenses you enjoy using on the CL, and why? I'm interested in both MF and AF.

Le Chef Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Lenses for the CL?

The more important question is what do you like to shoot, and what do you currently use?

SUPER-ELMAR
SUPER-ELMAR Forum Member • Posts: 56

Marie Meyer wrote:

Newbie question here: could you explain what lenses you enjoy using on the CL, and why? I'm interested in both MF and AF.

The 23mm f/2 is pretty much welded to my CL but I also rotate M lenses at times.  If you're looking for low cost options with autofocus, the Sigma 45/2.8, 30/1.4 and 56/1.4 are excellent.

SUPER-ELMAR's gear list:SUPER-ELMAR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 +5 more
agitlits Forum Member • Posts: 90

I love the 23 f2 on mine but sometimes want a bit more reach and am considering 35 f 1.4 for portraits, etc.

agitlits's gear list:agitlits's gear list
Leica CL Leica M (Typ 262) Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH
Joon Lee
Joon Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Another Leica noob here.  The 23mm TL seems embedded to my CL as well.  It's a great small compact lens.

Joon Lee's gear list:Joon Lee's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 60mm F2.8 ASPH Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +2 more
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 786

As LeChef says, depends on you, what do you like to photograph.

My vote for one lens is also the 23 Summicron, small compact (until you put the lens shade on) and makes very nice images. Disclaimer, I use a lot of adapted lenses. I do a macro photos, favorite is an adapted 105 f2.8 micro Nikkor. For portraits I have a 55 f1.4 7 Artisans a lens that isn't perfect but the resulting images are way better than its price would indicate. This time of year I do a little bird photography for that I have a 200 and 400mm Leica Telyt lenses. For wider than the 23 I use an 11-16 Tokina adapted from Nikon (would prefer the Leica11-23 wide zoom) but the Tokina is what I have.

I also have some M lenses but they are generally on my M cameras. I have also used some older various brand lenses but the ones above are my go to lenses.

This is my favorite camera, small compact and makes lovely images.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Nikon D300 Leica CL Leica M8 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
kodacolor
kodacolor Regular Member • Posts: 286

23mm is likely the most used of the four I have, along with some dedicated film lenses (R, M, & F mount)
I'm looking forward to Sigma's three APS-C lenses

kodacolor's gear list:kodacolor's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony a7R Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M5 II Leica T +72 more
jz1776
jz1776 Regular Member • Posts: 231

I like the 18-56 Elmar Vario.  Its relatively small in size and balances well.  They can be found used at a reasonable price.  I've seen a few in Europe recently for around 800 to 900 U.S.  I consider that a very good value compared to the price when new.

jz1776's gear list:jz1776's gear list
Nikon D3400 Leica T Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 7artisans 55mm F1.4 +1 more
WSLam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,288

23mm Summicron is fantastic. Compact, excellent IQ.

35mm Summilux has fantastic Bokeh and resolution, but it is bulkier, esp with the lens hood

18-56... slower but actually very decent and super light.

18mm... pancake. super compact, ok quality, but not much background separation..

my one lens vote would be 23/2

WSLam's gear list:WSLam's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 V Leica Q2 Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V +55 more
Joon Lee
Joon Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 542

WSLam wrote:

35mm Summilux has fantastic Bokeh and resolution, but it is bulkier, esp with the lens hood

18mm... pancake. super compact, ok quality, but not much background separation..

It's interesting because the little 23 gets poor reviews from many reviewers.  I think it's because they are comparing it to a really stellar 35/1.4TL.

For me, I reach for the 23 much more than the 35.

Joon Lee's gear list:Joon Lee's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica CL Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 60mm F2.8 ASPH Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +2 more

Joon Lee wrote:

WSLam wrote:

It's interesting because the little 23 gets poor reviews from many reviewers. I think it's because they are comparing it to a really stellar 35/1.4TL.

I have found the reviews for the 23 a bit strange, has always worked well for me. I generally think the reviewer prefers the equivelent 50mm view to a 35 frame. I have also never used mine on f2 always stopped down.

Nikon D300 Leica CL Leica M8 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more

I think the size and weight alone will make me lean towards the 23/2 over the 35/1.4 in 99% of the situation, not to mention, I am really a 35mm guy. 50 is a little tight for many situations.

Joon Lee wrote:

WSLam wrote:

It's interesting because the little 23 gets poor reviews from many reviewers. I think it's because they are comparing it to a really stellar 35/1.4TL.

I think the size and weight alone will make me lean towards the 23/2 over the 35/1.4 in 99% of the situation, not to mention, I am really a 35mm guy. 50 is a little tight for many situations.

SUPER-ELMAR
SUPER-ELMAR Forum Member • Posts: 56

WSLam wrote:

Joon Lee wrote:

WSLam wrote:

The 23/2 is tiny but tends to have challenge with close focusing for me.  The Sigma 30/1.4 provides a full frame equivalent 45/2.1 view on the CL and costs a fraction.

SUPER-ELMAR's gear list:SUPER-ELMAR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 +5 more
Jared Willson Contributing Member • Posts: 906

Marie Meyer wrote:

I use the 23mm TL lens quite a bit because it matches up well with what I want from the CL camera--small, well laid out, carry-around.  It's not the sharpest TL lens (though it's not bad at all), but it handles well, offers one of my favorite perspectives, and just generates pleasing results.

The 35mm TL is optically a really superb lens so I can recommend it pretty highly.  The only real downside is the size/weight of the lens.  Put that on the CL and you are approaching SL2/45mm Sigma territory.  It's still smaller and lighter, but it stops being a camera I can just forget I'm carrying.

The 60mm Macro is excellent, and it's my only macro lens so it gets a fair amount of use.  It's also not bad as a portrait lens, though the f/2.8 aperture is a bit limiting when you are talking APS-C.  It's a bit slow to focus on the CL, but speeds up quite a bit on my SL2.

The 11-23 is also a really, really good lens that gets a moderate amount of use.  It just gets out of the way.

The 18mm is the only TL lens I have used that didn't really impress me.  It's compact as heck, of course, but the image quality suffers a little too much in my view.  I'd rather use the 23mm as a "carry around" lens.

The kit zoom is actually quite good optically, but you get very limited control over depth of field, so I tend not to use it for much.  It's a good snapshot lens, though.

I haven't tried the telephoto zoom, but hear it is a real gem.

Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad XCD 21mm F4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more

SUPER-ELMAR wrote:

WSLam wrote:

Joon Lee wrote:

WSLam wrote:

The 23/2 is tiny but tends to have challenge with close focusing for me. The Sigma 30/1.4 provides a full frame equivalent 45/2.1 view on the CL and costs a fraction.

The 30 sounds like an interesting lens, I have 28s so I don't think I'd go there. I do prefer the 35 FOV. As I have said before I am a fan of the 23, I do a lot of macro photography and have specific lenses for that. But I have not seen a problem with close focusing with the 23. If it is the f stop change it is just telling you what it is doing you have similar changes with other lenses, they are just not telling you. All macro lenses have fstop changes but mostly you are making the change with time/fstop. A photo at 1ft with the 23:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads