Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Started Jul 17, 2020 | Discussions
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,186
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Shortly after the X-Pro3 was launched I had a chance to use one for a few days. My initial opinion was quite critical, see here ...

Since then I've been reading reviews & following posts of some experienced users here (thanks Deed! which might lead me to reconsider!

That's why I'd appreciate some feedback from X-Pro3 users regarding your experiences (Pro's & Con's, did it change how you do your photography?) with following aspects of the X-Pro3 (I initially was critical about):

1. The "hidden" / fold down LCD screen, compared to what's on the X-T3 / X-H1 / X100V
  2. The "crippled" OVF - only one magnification & not compatible with 18mm or shorter

To be honest on my X-Pro2 & X100V I use the EVF 90% of the time, so maybe the X-Pro3's single magnification OVF is not a big issue & compensated by the its better EVF (compared to my X-Pro2) ... and I've meanwhile learnt with my X100V that the X-Pro3's missing D-Pad (vs. my X-H1 and X-Pro2) is not really an issue for me anymore

But I'm very curious how y'all fare with the "hidden" LCD: has it really "purified" your photography (as Fuji maintains), or is it a hassle when you do want to quickly review your images when using the camera on eye-level (no issue when using the camera to take waist-level photos). For me reviewing the image in the EVF is not an option as then the image review is on all the time & disrupts my workflow (i.e. I can't use it selectively). And finally, do you miss the flexibility of the 4 additional touch gesture function allocations when the screen is closed?

So I'm kinda on the fence to get an X-Pro3 after all (may trade in my GFX50R / GF50mm ...?)

FYI the main lenses I use on X-Pro type camera are 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2, predominantly for street scenes & portraits

Many thanks in advance for your sharing your experiences & advice!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

I waited for the XPro3, but then got a camera where they thought it was only acceptable to shoot it in one way, and worked against users working with any other option, so I don't have one... I hate that... let photographers choose how they want to shoot, don't tell them only one way is okay...

It was photographers, who were asked what they wanted and how it should be implemented. If I had been on that board, I would have at first scratched my head regarding the D-Pad and the screen. But in contrast to you, I would have not dismissed the design so easily. My reasoning would have been that if professional photographers were involved, it can't be all nonsense. So instead of a quick dismissal, I think I would have said:

Show me!

And since all cameras are approximations to the camera that does it all, the X-Pro3 is at least an interesting (as in: good interesting) offer in market where a lot of the offerings look the same - but different. The X-Pro3 is a good if not great attempt in the art of simplification.

And on top of the - 6EV AF, it looks like a work of art, maybe a strong contender for the MOMA. I have to admit I am a sucker regarding design. If it is controversial, but works well, I am all for it.

Deed

I'm not trying to start an argument, different people like different things, but I feel if you limit the number of ways people can do things with a product, where there was no plus side (other than being able to say "we think you should have to take photographs this way" I think it's a bad idea. You can allow people a choice and still say "we think it's best when you set it up this way...".

That's why you have different product lines and different brands and different formats.  There is no one camera that can do everything well.  The right tool for the job at hand.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,654

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Shortly after the X-Pro3 was launched I had a chance to use one for a few days. My initial opinion was quite critical, see here ...

Since then I've been reading reviews & following posts of some experienced users here (thanks Deed! which might lead me to reconsider!

That's why I'd appreciate some feedback from X-Pro3 users regarding your experiences (Pro's & Con's, did it change how you do your photography?) with following aspects of the X-Pro3 (I initially was critical about):

1. The "hidden" / fold down LCD screen, compared to what's on the X-T3 / X-H1 / X100V
  2. The "crippled" OVF - only one magnification & not compatible with 18mm or shorter

To be honest on my X-Pro2 & X100V I use the EVF 90% of the time, so maybe the X-Pro3's single magnification OVF is not a big issue & compensated by the its better EVF (compared to my X-Pro2) ... and I've meanwhile learnt with my X100V that the X-Pro3's missing D-Pad (vs. my X-H1 and X-Pro2) is not really an issue for me anymore

But I'm very curious how y'all fare with the "hidden" LCD: has it really "purified" your photography (as Fuji maintains), or is it a hassle when you do want to quickly review your images when using the camera on eye-level (no issue when using the camera to take waist-level photos). For me reviewing the image in the EVF is not an option as then the image review is on all the time & disrupts my workflow (i.e. I can't use it selectively). And finally, do you miss the flexibility of the 4 additional touch gesture function allocations when the screen is closed?

So I'm kinda on the fence to get an X-Pro3 after all (may trade in my GFX50R / GF50mm ...?)

FYI the main lenses I use on X-Pro type camera are 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2, predominantly for street scenes & portraits

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

I waited for the XPro3, but then got a camera where they thought it was only acceptable to shoot it in one way, and worked against users working with any other option, so I don't have one... I hate that... let photographers choose how they want to shoot, don't tell them only one way is okay...

It was photographers, who were asked what they wanted and how it should be implemented. If I had been on that board, I would have at first scratched my head regarding the D-Pad and the screen. But in contrast to you, I would have not dismissed the design so easily. My reasoning would have been that if professional photographers were involved, it can't be all nonsense. So instead of a quick dismissal, I think I would have said:

Show me!

And since all cameras are approximations to the camera that does it all, the X-Pro3 is at least an interesting (as in: good interesting) offer in market where a lot of the offerings look the same - but different. The X-Pro3 is a good if not great attempt in the art of simplification.

And on top of the - 6EV AF, it looks like a work of art, maybe a strong contender for the MOMA. I have to admit I am a sucker regarding design. If it is controversial, but works well, I am all for it.

Deed

I'm not trying to start an argument, different people like different things, but I feel if you limit the number of ways people can do things with a product, where there was no plus side (other than being able to say "we think you should have to take photographs this way" I think it's a bad idea. You can allow people a choice and still say "we think it's best when you set it up this way...".

But you are arguing. In contrast to you, who seems to see this conspiracy of dictatorship I see just another way of doing things.

Why does every camera under the sun be a clone of all the others? Your argument suggests that there is only one valid way of taking photos where the natural choice SHOULD  be to click, check,click again. Anything else is wrong. Limiting.

There is also dictatorship in hiding where all everyone under the sun should wear Levi's. Or Wrangler. Like Henry Ford's famous quote: as long as it's black.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

But you are arguing. In contrast to you, who seems to see this conspiracy of dictatorship I see just another way of doing things.

The thing I object to is intentionally limiting it when there was no need to. I love different design ideas generally.

Why does every camera under the sun be a clone of all the others? Your argument suggests that there is only one valid way of taking photos where the natural choice SHOULD be to click, check,click again. Anything else is wrong. Limiting.

I only check a very limited number of shots after I've just taken them BTW... I set EVF/LCD review to "off" on all my cameras.

There is also dictatorship in hiding where all everyone under the sun should wear Levi's. Or Wrangler. Like Henry Ford's famous quote: as long as it's black.

Deed

Used to own one of these BTW, (back when that was a competitive sensor), look familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCi8-mYxpRE

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

The thing I object to is intentionally limiting it when there was no need to. I love different design ideas generally.

Why does every camera under the sun be a clone of all the others? Your argument suggests that there is only one valid way of taking photos where the natural choice SHOULD be to click, check,click again. Anything else is wrong. Limiting.

I only check a very limited number of shots after I've just taken them BTW... I set EVF/LCD review to "off" on all my cameras.

Deed

Used to own one of these BTW, (back when that was a competitive sensor), look familiar...

So you love different designs, but not the X-Pro3. It seems your mind was made up a long time ago and it was a mistake to try to engage you in a debate as you already had the answer.

Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
Truman Prevatt
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all? trading in GFX50R

Mikeywcu wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Even if one ignores the subjective nature and experience of the hidden LCD, the fact remains: manipulating the software/ UI and changing settings is a damned nuisance due to the lack of extra, customizable buttons and a UI that depends so much on the screen being visible/ accessible.

Other than that, I can say that after around 12,000 photographs with the X-Pro3, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The thing is to ignore all settings that require the use of the screen, and use only the physical buttons. I end-up constantly reviewing images in the EVF.

The way the flip mechanism is implemented is not good at all, doesn't feel robust.

My photographs have definitely improved.

This is a fascinating response. I’ve heard few photographers criticize the XP3 AND extol it’s ability to make one a better photographer. Nicely said.

I have to agree that the UI isn’t perfect, but for me, coming from FF Sony, the menus are an improvement. I find the handling of the XP3 outstanding, and like the OP, I use the EVF more often, especially because the Eye AF doesn’t work with the OVF. When I do use the OVF, I don’t find myself limited by it at all.

A question to the OP: if you have the 50R, what is drawing you more towards the XP3?

hi Mikey! The main reason I left full frame for Fuji was the smaller footprint of their (APS-C) system. Then I was thinking I need higher resolution & got myself a GFX50R with a couple lenses. I tell you the image quality is something special, BUT I found out it is not that much better than what I get from my APS-C camera's with primes, and more importantly it's big and heavy again. Another down side is the narrower depth and needing faster shutter speeds on the GFX of field ... please see heremore details. So I guess it's the nearly as good as image quality in a significantly smaller & lighter body! ... and the X-Pro3 in dura silver is just, beautiful

Makes sense. I haven’t found a huge difference in IQ between FF and APS-C, so I’m encouraged by your saying you don’t see much between MF and APS-C. I have to agree about the Dura silver. I got the straight black because the Dura black didn’t look great to me, and I’ve never been partial to silver cams, but man, the Dura silver is sharp.

Medium format film - especially 6x7 PanX thin emulsion film could produce image quality close of 4x5 TriX large format film. However, it could not provide the flexibility and range of operations. I have plenty of examples on my Phase library where this is obvious. On the other hand I am not going to say my Mamiya RB67 - a wonderful - camera is a replacement for my 4x5 field camera. On top of that neither could hold a candle to my Leica M4 and good old TriX on the street. The right tool for the job - no different today.

The Fuji X is a wonderful system but if I were shooting primarily fine arts landscape - it would be with a GFX100. If I were primarily shooting street or equestrian sports - it would be with an X. On the other hand an X can produce very nice landscapes - the GFX just has more flexibility in such genres where image quality is paramount.

RB67...that’s a sweet piece of gear!

Isn't it! It is as heavy as a tank but I carried that puppy with me (along with a tripod) in my back pack sometimes on cross country skies more miles and over over more 12,000 foot passes than I want to admit. The beauty of the RB was the lens leaf shutter so attach a cable release to lens and pop the mirror up - then after it settled fire the leaf shutter so you could get away with a lighter tripod. The RB with Pan X film could rival a 4x5. I still have it and will often run some film though it.

All RB with 127 mm lens.  All on PanX

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
Truman Prevatt

hendriximages wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Even if one ignores the subjective nature and experience of the hidden LCD, the fact remains: manipulating the software/ UI and changing settings is a damned nuisance due to the lack of extra, customizable buttons and a UI that depends so much on the screen being visible/ accessible.

Other than that, I can say that after around 12,000 photographs with the X-Pro3, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The thing is to ignore all settings that require the use of the screen, and use only the physical buttons. I end-up constantly reviewing images in the EVF.

The way the flip mechanism is implemented is not good at all, doesn't feel robust.

This is a fascinating response. I’ve heard few photographers criticize the XP3 AND extol it’s ability to make one a better photographer. Nicely said.

I have to agree that the UI isn’t perfect, but for me, coming from FF Sony, the menus are an improvement. I find the handling of the XP3 outstanding, and like the OP, I use the EVF more often, especially because the Eye AF doesn’t work with the OVF. When I do use the OVF, I don’t find myself limited by it at all.

A question to the OP: if you have the 50R, what is drawing you more towards the XP3?

hi Mikey! The main reason I left full frame for Fuji was the smaller footprint of their (APS-C) system. Then I was thinking I need higher resolution & got myself a GFX50R with a couple lenses. I tell you the image quality is something special, BUT I found out it is not that much better than what I get from my APS-C camera's with primes, and more importantly it's big and heavy again. Another down side is the narrower depth and needing faster shutter speeds on the GFX of field ... please see heremore details. So I guess it's the nearly as good as image quality in a significantly smaller & lighter body! ... and the X-Pro3 in dura silver is just, beautiful

Makes sense. I haven’t found a huge difference in IQ between FF and APS-C, so I’m encouraged by your saying you don’t see much between MF and APS-C. I have to agree about the Dura silver. I got the straight black because the Dura black didn’t look great to me, and I’ve never been partial to silver cams, but man, the Dura silver is sharp.

Medium format film - especially 6x7 PanX thin emulsion film could produce image quality close of 4x5 TriX large format film. However, it could not provide the flexibility and range of operations. I have plenty of examples on my Phase library where this is obvious. On the other hand I am not going to say my Mamiya RB67 - a wonderful - camera is a replacement for my 4x5 field camera. On top of that neither could hold a candle to my Leica M4 and good old TriX on the street. The right tool for the job - no different today.

The Fuji X is a wonderful system but if I were shooting primarily fine arts landscape - it would be with a GFX100. If I were primarily shooting street or equestrian sports - it would be with an X. On the other hand an X can produce very nice landscapes - the GFX just has more flexibility in such genres where image quality is paramount.

The RB67, yeah those were the days ... sigh! and the M4 (I had the "P") with Tri-X ... exciting memories. Technically you are right, but for me the frequency of taking the gear with me decreased with the gear's size & weight. having had it with me less equated to fewer photographic opportunities ...

I just hit 73 this year - I fully agree.

-- hide signature --

_____
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

hendriximages
OP hendriximages Regular Member • Posts: 262

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

What is "limiting" to one is "challenging & "expanding horizons" to others ...

Deed

All the X-Pro3 is doing is curbing the urge to immediately "check" the result on the LCD by an intentional block to the process: the "hidden" screen just makes it a little bit more difficult to chimp. judge that as you want, but I do notice that when you're doing eye level photography you tend to stick more to the viewfinder rather than continuously switching from viewfinder to looking at the LCD

don't like that? then don't use the Pro3 ...

-- hide signature --

http://www.hendriximages.com
Where Shadows Fall, There's Light !

hendriximages's gear list:hendriximages's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
hendriximages

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Isn't it! It is as heavy as a tank but I carried that puppy with me (along with a tripod) in my back pack sometimes on cross country skies more miles and over over more 12,000 foot passes than I want to admit. The beauty of the RB was the lens leaf shutter so attach a cable release to lens and pop the mirror up - then after it settled fire the leaf shutter so you could get away with a lighter tripod. The RB with Pan X film could rival a 4x5. I still have it and will often run some film though it.

All RB with 127 mm lens. All on PanX

Beautiful! Especially the waterfall is magic, thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
hendriximages

Truman Prevatt wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

The RB67, yeah those were the days ... sigh! and the M4 (I had the "P") with Tri-X ... exciting memories. Technically you are right, but for me the frequency of taking the gear with me decreased with the gear's size & weight. having had it with me less equated to fewer photographic opportunities ...

I just hit 73 this year - I fully agree.

congratulations, but you're sharp in mind & young at heart. hope I can be like that when I get there (turning six zero next year)!

cheers Truman!

-- hide signature --

Mikeywcu
Mikeywcu Contributing Member • Posts: 852

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

All RB with 127 mm lens. All on PanX

Outstanding shots!!

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +12 more
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

Deed

So you love different designs, but not the X-Pro3. It seems your mind was made up a long time ago and it was a mistake to try to engage you in a debate as you already had the answer.

My mind was made up that the XPro3 wouldn't suit me, as I didn't needlessly want to be forced to always use it one way, which wouldn't always be the best choice. I was really looking forward to it up to that point...

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Truman Prevatt

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

Deed

My mind was made up that the XPro3 wouldn't suit me, as I didn't needlessly want to be forced to always use it one way, which wouldn't always be the best choice. I was really looking forward to it up to that point...

The good news you had the XT3 or XT4 - choices.  You did not have to buy a XPro3 now did you.  Use what you want and be happy.  if something doesn't float your boat move on.  Not every one wants to drive a pickup truck but some would not drive anything else.  So if you don't want to drive a pick up truck - then don't. But why if that were the case would you go public and think anyone cared why you didn't?

Choices are good.

-- hide signature --

_____
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
"Forced"

Jon555 wrote:

I'm probably typing this because I'm being brutally coerced to do so by the jack-booted Nazi camera in my camera bag, but you should strongly reconsider your disruptive opposition. Fuji cameras have "vays" of making you cooperate... Seriously - pick one up, shoot it for a while, then see how silly this sounds.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X100F +8 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,609

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

Deed

The good news you had the XT3 or XT4 - choices. You did not have to buy a XPro3 now did you. Use what you want and be happy. if something doesn't float your boat move on. Not every one wants to drive a pickup truck but some would not drive anything else. So if you don't want to drive a pick up truck - then don't. But why if that were the case would you go public and think anyone cared why you didn't?

Choices are good.

I genuinely try to stay out of X-Pro3 debates these days, but then this old fallacy about “choices” always comes up and drags me back in.

For me and a few other X-Pro users this was never about chimping, not that there is anything inherently wrong with chimping, and not that the X-Pro3 actually prevents you from chimping in the EVF anyway. I don’t chimp, but what I have always done with the X-Pro is shoot from the rear screen, at arms length sometimes, as well as through the viewfinder. I love the OVF, I value the option of the EVF, but I also switch naturally and constantly between those and the rear screen, using the eye sensor. That’s my shooting style and I’m happy with it, it works for me. Fuji created these choices with the X-Pro1 - a truly innovative camera that could be used in wholly new ways.

The X-Pro2 perfected that model, making it work and perform much better. Again it presented a completely unique choice, a way of working that no other camera could offer. Other cameras had screens, many had EVFs, none combined those with an OVF as well.

Here’s the thing though - both the X-Pro1 and 2 allowed true choice in the sense that if you only wanted to shoot from the OVF, or only the EVF, or only the screen, you could do so - the camera would never get in your way. Since 2012 you’ve been able to shoot an X-Pro purely through the viewfinder with no other distractions. For 8 years, X-Pro owners have had the option to shut the screen off entirely and never use it again. You’ve even had the option to only show shooting information on the back of the camera. Every Fuji X camera has had these options in fact. None of these shooting options are new to the X-Pro3.

The only thing new to the X-Pro3, is its restriction, and the way in which it no longer allows the same freedom to jump freely between different shooting modes. As Fuji explained at length in their own marketing, the design is intended to “encourage” shooting in one particular way and restrict the photographers other choices. Dress it up any way you want, but that is the stated intention and it’s quite apparent in the design. The X-Pro3 simply cannot be used in the same way I use my X-Pro2.

In that sense the X-Pro3 is no different to the other “choices” you suggest like the X-T3 or X-T4 - none of these cameras can replace my X-Pro2, none offer the same versatility or shooting experience. For me there simply is no new X-Pro, and the choice I want has been taken away from me, in return for precisely nothing that we didn’t already have the option to do anyway.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
VicFerrari New Member • Posts: 20

Threaded wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

Deed

The good news you had the XT3 or XT4 - choices. You did not have to buy a XPro3 now did you. Use what you want and be happy. if something doesn't float your boat move on. Not every one wants to drive a pickup truck but some would not drive anything else. So if you don't want to drive a pick up truck - then don't. But why if that were the case would you go public and think anyone cared why you didn't?

Choices are good.

I genuinely try to stay out of X-Pro3 debates these days, but then this old fallacy about “choices” always comes up and drags me back in.

For me and a few other X-Pro users this was never about chimping, not that there is anything inherently wrong with chimping, and not that the X-Pro3 actually prevents you from chimping in the EVF anyway. I don’t chimp, but what I have always done with the X-Pro is shoot from the rear screen, at arms length sometimes, as well as through the viewfinder. I love the OVF, I value the option of the EVF, but I also switch naturally and constantly between those and the rear screen, using the eye sensor. That’s my shooting style and I’m happy with it, it works for me. Fuji created these choices with the X-Pro1 - a truly innovative camera that could be used in wholly new ways.

The X-Pro2 perfected that model, making it work and perform much better. Again it presented a completely unique choice, a way of working that no other camera could offer. Other cameras had screens, many had EVFs, none combined those with an OVF as well.

Here’s the thing though - both the X-Pro1 and 2 allowed true choice in the sense that if you only wanted to shoot from the OVF, or only the EVF, or only the screen, you could do so - the camera would never get in your way. Since 2012 you’ve been able to shoot an X-Pro purely through the viewfinder with no other distractions. For 8 years, X-Pro owners have had the option to shut the screen off entirely and never use it again. You’ve even had the option to only show shooting information on the back of the camera. Every Fuji X camera has had these options in fact. None of these shooting options are new to the X-Pro3.

The only thing new to the X-Pro3, is its restriction, and the way in which it no longer allows the same freedom to jump freely between different shooting modes. As Fuji explained at length in their own marketing, the design is intended to “encourage” shooting in one particular way and restrict the photographers other choices. Dress it up any way you want, but that is the stated intention and it’s quite apparent in the design. The X-Pro3 simply cannot be used in the same way I use my X-Pro2.

In that sense the X-Pro3 is no different to the other “choices” you suggest like the X-T3 or X-T4 - none of these cameras can replace my X-Pro2, none offer the same versatility or shooting experience. For me there simply is no new X-Pro, and the choice I want has been taken away from me, in return for precisely nothing that we didn’t already have the option to do anyway.

+1 to everything stated.  This is why after six months of use I sold my X-Pro3.  Just an overall frustrating experience.  Plus changing settings in the menu was a pain.  I previously owned both the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2.  I tried to convince myself that I liked the X-Pro3 but it was just denial on my part.  Too many compromises - unnecessarily.  Purchased the X-T4 and love, love, love it.  Looking forward to the X-Pro4 - maybe.

Re: "Forced"

BryceM wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

I'm probably typing this because I'm being brutally coerced to do so by the jack-booted Nazi camera in my camera bag, but you should strongly reconsider your disruptive opposition. Fuji cameras have "vays" of making you cooperate... Seriously - pick one up, shoot it for a while, then see how silly this sounds.

Strong language alright.

TheSloth
TheSloth Forum Member • Posts: 94
Nobody addressing the reality that...

Nobody is addressing the reality that reviewing photos immediately on the EVF or rear screen after snapping them is actually very useful. This one feature has improved my photography and technique. By mocking this activity and calling it "chimping" is almost like behaving in a racist manner.

Irrespective of the design choices by Fujifilm on the X-Pro3 (and our efforts to justify the decision) - and I own a X-Pro3 (before somebody calls me a troll) - this is still an important feature in contemporary digital cameras. It is precisely controversial in the X-Pro3 because of this, and many are uncomfortable with it.

Fact is, the ability to review photos instantly is a great feature, just like auto-focus, or auto ISO, or auto white balance, or panorama photos, or anything that modern digital cameras offer, other than the three (ok, maybe six) basic controls, carried over from the film era.

If Leica had done this nobody would bat an eyelid.

TheSloth's gear list:TheSloth's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R XF 90mm Phase One Capture One Pro
Re: Nobody addressing the reality that...

TheSloth wrote:

Nobody is addressing the reality that reviewing photos immediately on the EVF or rear screen after snapping them is actually very useful. This one feature has improved my photography and technique. By mocking this activity and calling it "chimping" is almost like behaving in a racist manner.

Irrespective of the design choices by Fujifilm on the X-Pro3 (and our efforts to justify the decision) - and I own a X-Pro3 (before somebody calls me a troll) - this is still an important feature in contemporary digital cameras. It is precisely controversial in the X-Pro3 because of this, and many are uncomfortable with it.

Fact is, the ability to review photos instantly is a great feature, just like auto-focus, or auto ISO, or auto white balance, or panorama photos, or anything that modern digital cameras offer, other than the three (ok, maybe six) basic controls, carried over from the film era.

If Leica had done this nobody would bat an eyelid.

A bold statement this "nobody has..."... Why this seems to be as if any meaningful chimping has to be done on a rear screen might make some sense to you, but to me this dirty nappy holding of a camera to be called the gold standard is in my opinion just plain weird. You know that you can also opt for a check on the EVF? You did mention it as a possibility.

Just not the same thing, you reckon? Reviews have to be done on a 1-2Mpx screen the size of a matchbox to be considered a valid review in 2020.

All a bit wild, but whatever rocks your boat.

Deed

BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: Nobody addressing the reality that...

Image review is only a play-click away in the hybrid viewfinder, and the delay in flipping down the screen to see it in the LCD is no longer even perceptible for me because my left thumb knows where that thumb tab on the LCD is at all times.  Ditto for the play button and my right thumb.  The only scenarios where I still register any inconvenience from the screen design is on a tripod or when shooting low in portrait.  Others obviously feel differently, but they have other alternatives available to them.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X100F +8 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 221

VicFerrari wrote:

+1 to everything stated. This is why after six months of use I sold my X-Pro3. Just an overall frustrating experience. Plus changing settings in the menu was a pain. I previously owned both the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2. I tried to convince myself that I liked the X-Pro3 but it was just denial on my part. Too many compromises - unnecessarily. Purchased the X-T4 and love, love, love it. Looking forward to the X-Pro4 - maybe.

I tried the X-Pro3 twice now (in the shop, and outside on their parking lot) with my 18/35/50mm combo. I mainly use the OVF, and only review images in batches (when there is a quiet moment), so I don't care about the missing LCD screen.

But why oh why change the OVF! It was perfect on the X-Pro2! I know the viewfinder itself is bigger, so the area of the 35mm and 50mm is probably the same as on the X-Pro2. But it doesn't feel that way. Let alone that, with the 18mm, you have to see those distracting yellow corners all the time now!

On the one hand, Fujifilm made the rear screen less useful for those who used it (not a big thing for me). And at the same time, they made the OVF less useful! What were they thinking? A hipster EVF camera, with an OVF as optional add-on?

I really hope they do better for the OVF users in the X-Pro4.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads