Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Started Jul 17, 2020 | Discussions
hendriximages
OP hendriximages Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all?

Truman Prevatt wrote:

The XPro3 OVF works fine for 18 - the frame lines are the physical frame. There is virtually no parallax in the 18 for any reasonable focal distance - so no need for a "moving frame line."

The OVF in the Pro3 is bigger and brighter than the Pro2 so for 23 and 35 the frame defined by the frame lines are actually in absolute terms bigger (and brighter). For the 50 and 56 they are brighter than the Pro2 but about the same size and work just fine. Anything longer I'd just flip to the EVF which is better than the Pro2 by a wide margin.

I find the flip up display on the Pro3 a huge improvement. First it is protected. I don't abuse my cameras but knowing the big piece of glass is protected makes me feel better when I climb on my bicycle or horse with the camera of go scrambling down a hill.

The flip up display also eliminated the view mode merry go round when you actually want to use the display. My Pro3 is normally set to OVF. I use the lever if I want to switch to ERF or EVF. When I drop the display down it comes on if I want a "waist level" finder or want to use the menu. When I flip it up - it goes off and the camera is still set to what it was before I dropped it down - normally the OVF. I now never have to mess with the view mode button. A huge advance in the UI in my book.

I don't miss the D-pad. On my Pro3 it was too big for the limited amount of real estate on the back and too easy to accidentally activate. The "thumb grip" on the Pro3 is vastly improved on the Pro2. I no longer need an external thumb grip like I did on the Pro2.

I found the Pro3 a well though out camera - actually better than the Pro2. The only potential disadvantage is in lenses 16 and shorter. But in reality I don't care about that since I don't like the perspective distortion of these UWA lenses and don't have any. If I did - like the 90 the EVF on the Pro3 is much better than the Pro2.

If I didn't prefer the UI and handling of the Pro3 much advanced over the Pro2 I would not have dropped 2 bills to get mine. Does it make me a better photographer than with the Pro2, nope but I might say it allows me to concentrate more on the image and less on the camera which allows me to be a better photographer.

hi Truman

Very valuable information here, it's clear it comes from experience! many thanks. I have to admit I had the Pro3 too short to learn how to use the LCD, but what you tell me here gives me confidence. I agree with, the quality of your photography depends on whether you can connect to your image. so a camera which enhances that will lead to better pictures because it gets out of your way ...

Since I was thinking whether to get an X-Pro3 for m'self I have been reflecting on my photography workflow with my X-H1's & X-Pro2's - the readily available LCD image review does animate you to chimp all the time, thus disrupting the image taking flow. let's see...

-- hide signature --

http://www.hendriximages.com
Where Shadows Fall, There's Light !

hendriximages's gear list:hendriximages's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,647

hendriximages wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Shortly after the X-Pro3 was launched I had a chance to use one for a few days. My initial opinion was quite critical, see here ...

Since then I've been reading reviews & following posts of some experienced users here (thanks Deed! which might lead me to reconsider!

That's why I'd appreciate some feedback from X-Pro3 users regarding your experiences (Pro's & Con's, did it change how you do your photography?) with following aspects of the X-Pro3 (I initially was critical about):

1. The "hidden" / fold down LCD screen, compared to what's on the X-T3 / X-H1 / X100V
  2. The "crippled" OVF - only one magnification & not compatible with 18mm or shorter

To be honest on my X-Pro2 & X100V I use the EVF 90% of the time, so maybe the X-Pro3's single magnification OVF is not a big issue & compensated by the its better EVF (compared to my X-Pro2) ... and I've meanwhile learnt with my X100V that the X-Pro3's missing D-Pad (vs. my X-H1 and X-Pro2) is not really an issue for me anymore

But I'm very curious how y'all fare with the "hidden" LCD: has it really "purified" your photography (as Fuji maintains), or is it a hassle when you do want to quickly review your images when using the camera on eye-level (no issue when using the camera to take waist-level photos). For me reviewing the image in the EVF is not an option as then the image review is on all the time & disrupts my workflow (i.e. I can't use it selectively). And finally, do you miss the flexibility of the 4 additional touch gesture function allocations when the screen is closed?

So I'm kinda on the fence to get an X-Pro3 after all (may trade in my GFX50R / GF50mm ...?)

FYI the main lenses I use on X-Pro type camera are 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2, predominantly for street scenes & portraits

Many thanks in advance for your sharing your experiences & advice!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

I waited for the XPro3, but then got a camera where they thought it was only acceptable to shoot it in one way, and worked against users working with any other option, so I don't have one... I hate that... let photographers choose how they want to shoot, don't tell them only one way is okay...

It was photographers, who were asked what they wanted and how it should be implemented. If I had been on that board, I would have at first scratched my head regarding the D-Pad and the screen. But in contrast to you, I would have not dismissed the design so easily. My reasoning would have been that if professional photographers were involved, it can't be all nonsense. So instead of a quick dismissal, I think I would have said:

Show me!

And since all cameras are approximations to the camera that does it all, the X-Pro3 is at least an interesting (as in: good interesting) offer in market where a lot of the offerings look the same - but different. The X-Pro3 is a good if not great attempt in the art of simplification.

And on top of the - 6EV AF, it looks like a work of art, maybe a strong contender for the MOMA. I have to admit I am a sucker regarding design. If it is controversial, but works well, I am all for it.

Deed

Well said, Deed ... And it was youwho put that flea into my ear to reconsider getting an X-Pro3 I'm also a sucker for design, the dura silver one just looks amazing. Yeah a better looking camera won't get you better images, but you'll make 'em with more fun and that alone will up your photography ...

How's the eye tracking on the Pro3? On my X-Pro2 that one's a bit of a sleeping tablet ...

The eye tracking I feel just fine, experiment a little with the square size and you will find the soft spot regarding distance to your subject and eye size. One thing to ALWAYS remember is to change the default setting for shutter priority to focus priority, so the photo will only be taken when your square shows it's focused correctly.

Best viewed at 100%

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
hendriximages
Re: GFX50R vs Pro3

debo wrote:

If you mostly shoot in low light it may not be a bad deal given the low light AF improvements. Photonstophotos place the X-pro3 ahead of the GFX50R.

In good light, the 50R+50 is a wow and you will miss the output, especially after the new firmware upgrade.

yes if the light is good the images from the GFX50R are fantastic. BUT and that's a big "but" which leads me to trading it in: I lose around 3-4 stops of light when photographing the same low light scene with the GFX vs. my X-Pro2 or X-H1. 2 stops to get to the same effective depth of field, 1-2 stops to counter motion blur (due to higher MP count). So in total let's say 3.5 stops. The GFX has a higher high ISO tolerance of around 1 stop, so we end up with a 2.5 stop deficit which means for me no hands free photography in the twilight zone. and to be honest the image quality improvement is not "that" dramatic ... see here

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,539

fujiian wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

The little back screen is very gimmicky if you use RAW and auto ISO... it'll always just shows the same label / information. I wish they would allow other functionality on that screen or if they would have just gotten rid of it.

Purely out of curiosity – say you're using auto shutter and manual ISO – will it show the calculated shutter speed? This is assuming you're using the alternate, 'info-only' view, not the charming film sim view.

On my T2, the camera won't display the calculated ISO value when using manual SS (it displays the limit instead) until you half-press the shutter. Conversely, it will show the calculated shutter speed at all times when the rest of my exposure is manual.

OP, I don't mean to hijack – hopefully you might find this useful as well.

Ok, now I have to admit I didn’t know there was an info only setting.  This is wonderful news.  Thank you... makes a difference and that’s what I was wanting.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
hendriximages

deednets wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Shortly after the X-Pro3 was launched I had a chance to use one for a few days. My initial opinion was quite critical, see here ...

Since then I've been reading reviews & following posts of some experienced users here (thanks Deed! which might lead me to reconsider!

That's why I'd appreciate some feedback from X-Pro3 users regarding your experiences (Pro's & Con's, did it change how you do your photography?) with following aspects of the X-Pro3 (I initially was critical about):

1. The "hidden" / fold down LCD screen, compared to what's on the X-T3 / X-H1 / X100V
  2. The "crippled" OVF - only one magnification & not compatible with 18mm or shorter

To be honest on my X-Pro2 & X100V I use the EVF 90% of the time, so maybe the X-Pro3's single magnification OVF is not a big issue & compensated by the its better EVF (compared to my X-Pro2) ... and I've meanwhile learnt with my X100V that the X-Pro3's missing D-Pad (vs. my X-H1 and X-Pro2) is not really an issue for me anymore

But I'm very curious how y'all fare with the "hidden" LCD: has it really "purified" your photography (as Fuji maintains), or is it a hassle when you do want to quickly review your images when using the camera on eye-level (no issue when using the camera to take waist-level photos). For me reviewing the image in the EVF is not an option as then the image review is on all the time & disrupts my workflow (i.e. I can't use it selectively). And finally, do you miss the flexibility of the 4 additional touch gesture function allocations when the screen is closed?

So I'm kinda on the fence to get an X-Pro3 after all (may trade in my GFX50R / GF50mm ...?)

FYI the main lenses I use on X-Pro type camera are 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2, predominantly for street scenes & portraits

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

I waited for the XPro3, but then got a camera where they thought it was only acceptable to shoot it in one way, and worked against users working with any other option, so I don't have one... I hate that... let photographers choose how they want to shoot, don't tell them only one way is okay...

It was photographers, who were asked what they wanted and how it should be implemented. If I had been on that board, I would have at first scratched my head regarding the D-Pad and the screen. But in contrast to you, I would have not dismissed the design so easily. My reasoning would have been that if professional photographers were involved, it can't be all nonsense. So instead of a quick dismissal, I think I would have said:

Show me!

And since all cameras are approximations to the camera that does it all, the X-Pro3 is at least an interesting (as in: good interesting) offer in market where a lot of the offerings look the same - but different. The X-Pro3 is a good if not great attempt in the art of simplification.

And on top of the - 6EV AF, it looks like a work of art, maybe a strong contender for the MOMA. I have to admit I am a sucker regarding design. If it is controversial, but works well, I am all for it.

Deed

Well said, Deed ... And it was youwho put that flea into my ear to reconsider getting an X-Pro3 I'm also a sucker for design, the dura silver one just looks amazing. Yeah a better looking camera won't get you better images, but you'll make 'em with more fun and that alone will up your photography ...

How's the eye tracking on the Pro3? On my X-Pro2 that one's a bit of a sleeping tablet ...

The eye tracking I feel just fine, experiment a little with the square size and you will find the soft spot regarding distance to your subject and eye size. One thing to ALWAYS remember is to change the default setting for shutter priority to focus priority, so the photo will only be taken when your square shows it's focused correctly.

Best viewed at 100%

Deed

Very nice image Deed! thanks for sharing, I like the composition with the angles of the arms & hands (arms & hands in portraits are a paining the butt to get right And the 56 is great for this kinda distance ... thanks for the tips!

-- hide signature --

Jazz1
Jazz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Regarding the "hidden" LCD. I purchased an XH-1 after the XPro-3. I've turn the XH-1's LCD off for most photos! Thank you XPro-3 for brining me back to the "old days" of film like fun! I think the LCD was just slowing me down in most situations.

Of course you can just do what I did, shut-off the LCD on Fujifilm cameras. But, it took the XPro-3 to wake me up to this.

Jazz1's gear list:Jazz1's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +7 more
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,539

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Really?  A bit dramatic... and any other camera on the market will serve you well

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,180

Jazz1 wrote:

Regarding the "hidden" LCD. I purchased an XH-1 after the XPro-3. I've turn the XH-1's LCD off for most photos! Thank you XPro-3 for brining me back to the "old days" of film like fun! I think the LCD was just slowing me down in most situations.

Of course you can just do what I did, shut-off the LCD on Fujifilm cameras. But, it took the XPro-3 to wake me up to this.

Depend on what you are doing - the turning your attention to the LCD will in fact cause you to miss interesting should you could have gotten if you were concentrating on the subject matter at hand.  Two places equestrian sport or I expect any sports.  Concentrate on the events unfolding in front of you not on a small TV screen.  There is time for that after the action is over.  Second is on the street.  The beauty of the OVF on the street is you see outside the frame and can pick up queues of how the scene in unfolding and on the street the decisive moment - you don't normally get a lot of warning and it's not going to wait till after you get your nose out of the LCD.

With the Pro3 I never have to take my eye off the scene and I can even do a quick menu change and it is quick because I don't need to worry about the view mode button merry go round.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 2,026

My photographic impurity stubbornly persists despite Fuji's best efforts, but I appreciate them trying Only thing I'd change about the flip-down experience is I'd have it turn off the eye-sensor when open - That'd make it easier to shoot from the hip when I'm wearing black because it'd prevent them from mistakenly thinking it's up to my eye. AF-wise, it's a little better than the X-T2 it replaced - especially in the dark - but, at the end of the day, it does little that other Fuji cameras don't do nearly as well or even better (X-T4 has IBIS and costs less). Their priorities in the hybrid viewfinder suited mine just fine: Better 23 & 35mm experience, better EVF for everything else. I love my Durasmudge Silver finish, even if I am slightly embarrassed to admit I was silly enough to pay an extra $200 for such a frivolous option. It gives me joy, and I find it strangely poetic that my DNA has indelibly fused with this inanimate object. There are better cameras out there perhaps, but this one suits me perfectly.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X100F +8 more
Mikeywcu
Mikeywcu Contributing Member • Posts: 852
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - should I get one after all? trading in GFX50R

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Even if one ignores the subjective nature and experience of the hidden LCD, the fact remains: manipulating the software/ UI and changing settings is a damned nuisance due to the lack of extra, customizable buttons and a UI that depends so much on the screen being visible/ accessible.

Other than that, I can say that after around 12,000 photographs with the X-Pro3, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The thing is to ignore all settings that require the use of the screen, and use only the physical buttons. I end-up constantly reviewing images in the EVF.

The way the flip mechanism is implemented is not good at all, doesn't feel robust.

My photographs have definitely improved.

This is a fascinating response. I’ve heard few photographers criticize the XP3 AND extol it’s ability to make one a better photographer. Nicely said.

I have to agree that the UI isn’t perfect, but for me, coming from FF Sony, the menus are an improvement. I find the handling of the XP3 outstanding, and like the OP, I use the EVF more often, especially because the Eye AF doesn’t work with the OVF. When I do use the OVF, I don’t find myself limited by it at all.

A question to the OP: if you have the 50R, what is drawing you more towards the XP3?

hi Mikey! The main reason I left full frame for Fuji was the smaller footprint of their (APS-C) system. Then I was thinking I need higher resolution & got myself a GFX50R with a couple lenses. I tell you the image quality is something special, BUT I found out it is not that much better than what I get from my APS-C camera's with primes, and more importantly it's big and heavy again. Another down side is the narrower depth and needing faster shutter speeds on the GFX of field ... please see heremore details. So I guess it's the nearly as good as image quality in a significantly smaller & lighter body! ... and the X-Pro3 in dura silver is just, beautiful

Makes sense. I haven’t found a huge difference in IQ between FF and APS-C, so I’m encouraged by your saying you don’t see much between MF and APS-C. I have to agree about the Dura silver. I got the straight black because the Dura black didn’t look great to me, and I’ve never been partial to silver cams, but man, the Dura silver is sharp.

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +12 more
marclw
marclw Senior Member • Posts: 1,388

Hey there! I have an X-H1 and an X-Pro2. I've been drooling about the Pro3, but will wait if and until IBIS makes it to the next version. I'm 72 and learned photography on film cameras with no auto functions. I have turned off both LCD's on my cameras. I also have a Leica CL and have done the same. I try to shoot just like I shot film, slowly, quietly, and deliberately. I pretend it costs me big bucks, like it in the "old days." The ONLY time that I'll chimp is when I know that conditions are really iffy for whatever reason. Otherwise, no LCD. One more thing, I shoot like I did before because, at my age, I don't want to spend a lot of time culling image files. You can't regain time. When I shot for magazines, I'd see other photographers spraying and praying. I'd shoot a couple of shots, and I was done. It's a hell of a lot more efficient that way.....

Stay safe,
Marc

marclw's gear list:marclw's gear list
Leica CL Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +14 more
Truman Prevatt

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Even if one ignores the subjective nature and experience of the hidden LCD, the fact remains: manipulating the software/ UI and changing settings is a damned nuisance due to the lack of extra, customizable buttons and a UI that depends so much on the screen being visible/ accessible.

Other than that, I can say that after around 12,000 photographs with the X-Pro3, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The thing is to ignore all settings that require the use of the screen, and use only the physical buttons. I end-up constantly reviewing images in the EVF.

The way the flip mechanism is implemented is not good at all, doesn't feel robust.

This is a fascinating response. I’ve heard few photographers criticize the XP3 AND extol it’s ability to make one a better photographer. Nicely said.

I have to agree that the UI isn’t perfect, but for me, coming from FF Sony, the menus are an improvement. I find the handling of the XP3 outstanding, and like the OP, I use the EVF more often, especially because the Eye AF doesn’t work with the OVF. When I do use the OVF, I don’t find myself limited by it at all.

A question to the OP: if you have the 50R, what is drawing you more towards the XP3?

hi Mikey! The main reason I left full frame for Fuji was the smaller footprint of their (APS-C) system. Then I was thinking I need higher resolution & got myself a GFX50R with a couple lenses. I tell you the image quality is something special, BUT I found out it is not that much better than what I get from my APS-C camera's with primes, and more importantly it's big and heavy again. Another down side is the narrower depth and needing faster shutter speeds on the GFX of field ... please see heremore details. So I guess it's the nearly as good as image quality in a significantly smaller & lighter body! ... and the X-Pro3 in dura silver is just, beautiful

Makes sense. I haven’t found a huge difference in IQ between FF and APS-C, so I’m encouraged by your saying you don’t see much between MF and APS-C. I have to agree about the Dura silver. I got the straight black because the Dura black didn’t look great to me, and I’ve never been partial to silver cams, but man, the Dura silver is sharp.

Medium format film - especially 6x7 PanX thin emulsion film could produce image quality close of 4x5 TriX large format film.  However, it could not provide the flexibility and range of operations.  I have plenty of examples on my Phase library where this is obvious.  On the other hand I am not going to say my Mamiya RB67 - a wonderful - camera is a replacement for my 4x5 field camera.  On top of that neither could hold a candle to my Leica M4 and good old TriX on the street.  The right tool for the job - no different today.

The Fuji X is a wonderful system but if I were shooting primarily fine arts landscape - it would be with a GFX100.  If I were primarily shooting street or equestrian sports - it would be with an X.  On the other hand an X can produce very nice landscapes - the GFX just has more flexibility in such genres where image quality is paramount.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
Mikeywcu
Mikeywcu Contributing Member • Posts: 852

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Medium format film - especially 6x7 PanX thin emulsion film could produce image quality close of 4x5 TriX large format film. However, it could not provide the flexibility and range of operations. I have plenty of examples on my Phase library where this is obvious. On the other hand I am not going to say my Mamiya RB67 - a wonderful - camera is a replacement for my 4x5 field camera. On top of that neither could hold a candle to my Leica M4 and good old TriX on the street. The right tool for the job - no different today.

The Fuji X is a wonderful system but if I were shooting primarily fine arts landscape - it would be with a GFX100. If I were primarily shooting street or equestrian sports - it would be with an X. On the other hand an X can produce very nice landscapes - the GFX just has more flexibility in such genres where image quality is paramount.

RB67...that’s a sweet piece of gear!

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +12 more
hendriximages

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Mikeywcu wrote:

TheSloth wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Medium format film - especially 6x7 PanX thin emulsion film could produce image quality close of 4x5 TriX large format film. However, it could not provide the flexibility and range of operations. I have plenty of examples on my Phase library where this is obvious. On the other hand I am not going to say my Mamiya RB67 - a wonderful - camera is a replacement for my 4x5 field camera. On top of that neither could hold a candle to my Leica M4 and good old TriX on the street. The right tool for the job - no different today.

The Fuji X is a wonderful system but if I were shooting primarily fine arts landscape - it would be with a GFX100. If I were primarily shooting street or equestrian sports - it would be with an X. On the other hand an X can produce very nice landscapes - the GFX just has more flexibility in such genres where image quality is paramount.

The RB67, yeah those were the days ... sigh! and the M4 (I had the "P") with Tri-X ... exciting memories. Technically you are right, but for me the frequency of taking the gear with me decreased with the gear's size & weight. having had it with me less equated to fewer photographic opportunities ...

-- hide signature --

hendriximages

Jazz1 wrote:

you're right but every time you want to switch from no LCD to LCD you gotta cycle 10 times thru the view modes. I guess the Pro3's folding LCD does that faster (closed = off, open = on)

-- hide signature --

hendriximages

BryceM wrote:

My photographic impurity stubbornly persists despite Fuji's best efforts, but I appreciate them trying Only thing I'd change about the flip-down experience is I'd have it turn off the eye-sensor when open - That'd make it easier to shoot from the hip when I'm wearing black because it'd prevent them from mistakenly thinking it's up to my eye. AF-wise, it's a little better than the X-T2 it replaced - especially in the dark - but, at the end of the day, it does little that other Fuji cameras don't do nearly as well or even better (X-T4 has IBIS and costs less). Their priorities in the hybrid viewfinder suited mine just fine: Better 23 & 35mm experience, better EVF for everything else. I love my Durasmudge Silver finish, even if I am slightly embarrassed to admit I was silly enough to pay an extra $200 for such a frivolous option. It gives me joy, and I find it strangely poetic that my DNA has indelibly fused with this inanimate object. There are better cameras out there perhaps, but this one suits me perfectly.

well said & with passion! I had to smile when I read this, coz I'm inclined to follow the same decadent indulgence toward the dura silver finish. can't stop looking at images of the damn thing on the internet - there's this guy who ain't making all our lives easier by showing sorely beautiful images of it, see here !

-- hide signature --

Truman Prevatt

hendriximages wrote:

BryceM wrote:

well said & with passion! I had to smile when I read this, coz I'm inclined to follow the same decadent indulgence toward the dura silver finish. can't stop looking at images of the damn thing on the internet - there's this guy who ain't making all our lives easier by showing sorely beautiful images of it, see here !

Get the Dura Silver.  While some complain about "smudges" I compare it to aging of fine material.  I got the Dura Silver - a 200 buck premium.  I'd do it again.  On my Pro2 with a great paint job - it had scratches on the top plate.  Not one the Durasmudge Silver.  Dura Tech finish is much more scratch resistant that paint.  That is one reason I got it.  The second reason it is soooo cool.

-- hide signature --

_____
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,647

hendriximages wrote:

Jazz1 wrote:

you're right but every time you want to switch from no LCD to LCD you gotta cycle 10 times thru the view modes. I guess the Pro3's folding LCD does that faster (closed = off, open = on)

In Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
hendriximages
Re: Calling X-Pro3 users - THANKS to y'all, I'm getting one!

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Dear All!

Thanks so much for your advice & good comments! You have convinced me that I should give the X-Pro3 another chance, so I'm gonna get a dura silver one now!

I'll keep y'all posted!

Have a great weekend & stay safe, best rgds

Hendrik

-- hide signature --

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298

deednets wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

hendriximages wrote:

Dear X-Pro3 users!

Cheers & stay safe

Hendrik

Show me!

Deed

I'm not trying to start an argument, different people like different things, but I feel if you limit the number of ways people can do things with a product, where there was no plus side (other than being able to say "we think you should have to take photographs this way" I think it's a bad idea. You can allow people a choice and still say "we think it's best when you set it up this way...".

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix 950 Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads