maybe the best thing about Canon R5/R6

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
shootrawww Forum Member • Posts: 64
maybe the best thing about Canon R5/R6

is the comeback of the older Canon color science I've come to love (5d ii, 5d iii, 6d, ...)

(besides all the other cool new features of course)

Taken from a video I found on youtube previewing the R cameras.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 374
Re: maybe the best thing about Canon R5/R6

Eos R tends to be too blue when you have vegetation. White balance seems off in this case. Not affecting the raw obviously.

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +1 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,925

shootrawww wrote:

is the comeback of the older Canon color science I've come to love (5d ii, 5d iii, 6d, ...)

Impossible to know since they were taken at  different times and white balance is off. I could get similar results using the same camera on different days. 😂

-- hide signature --
Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 396

shootrawww wrote:

These would've had to have been shot side by side with the same settings. The white balance is off in the first and that could be due to simply having the wrong metering chosen.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +17 more
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 873

shootrawww wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "color science" of the R.

The "evidence" you are showing is not about "color science". It is not even a good indicator of how well color balance works. Comparing apples with pears ...

sassan_n Forum Member • Posts: 63

How do you know the color science has changed? Is there any direct comparison between say the 5D iii and 5D iV which shows obvious differences in color in jpeg and RAW?

Why would canon make the colors worse compared to earlier cameras?

sassan_n's gear list:sassan_n's gear list
Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Canon EOS M5 Nikon Z6 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
OP shootrawww Forum Member • Posts: 64

according to the youtuber they were shot with same settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM

Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 374

As I said before, I shoot often in the forest, and the jpg is too cold. But I doubt you can work with such models with jpg only. Raw is good, as much as the 5d4 I owned too.

Anyway, I saw the video of Irene and these jpgs are very pleasing on the new R5/R6

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +1 more
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

shootrawww wrote:

In that picture, the eos R is from Lightroom with the Adobe color profile, and the R6 picture is the DPP rendering. So not fair at all.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
fortuna_m48 Junior Member • Posts: 41

The EOS R photo is displayed in Lightroom, while the other one is in DPP. That's the Adobe color interpretation you are looking at.

You can easily try it yourself. Open a RAW file in Adobe and the other one in DPP. You will see that DPP looks better since it's displaying the picture according to the Pucture Style used.

fortuna_m48's gear list:fortuna_m48's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon 70-200 F2.8L III
nepalisherpa New Member • Posts: 20

shootrawww wrote:

according to the youtuber they were shot with same settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byYwav5ccM

She does say that "lighting might have been different".

nepalisherpa's gear list:nepalisherpa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,395

Shootrawww is right and so is Irene. Most of us portrait shooters know the EOS R colors are not as good as Canons prior cameras. I dont like them at all and chose the RP instead because the RP tones are warmer and more Canon-like. Here is another video that shows just how bland the R colors are for portraits. Typical Canon portrait colors are closer to the Fuji in this video. He has a handful of these videos that show the same thing. Thankfully both the R5 and R6 look much better and more like classic Canon colors for portraits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANQVayUunM

juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Dexter75 wrote:

Shootrawww is right and so is Irene. Most of us portrait shooters know the EOS R colors are not as good as Canons prior cameras. I dont like them at all and chose the RP instead because the RP tones are warmer and more Canon-like. Here is another video that shows just how bland the R colors are for portraits. Typical Canon portrait colors are closer to the Fuji in this video. He has a handful of these videos that show the same thing. Thankfully both the R5 and R6 look much better and more like classic Canon colors for portraits.

I love the colors of the R and in those videos (I have watched pretty much all of them) I always prefer the Canon look.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
I get the same feeling

shootrawww wrote:

Irenes example and the WB questions aside, I still get the same feeling after viewing all sample images available so far. Colors seem slightly richer and not as cold and "cyanish" as the R/5D4 sensor.

There's a slight warm/red bias again which I loved so much from the 5D2 and 6D (and all earlier models). The 5D3 was good, but a step down from 5D2 if you ask me. After that, Canon colors went south. Washed out and dull, even in DPP. The 6D2/RP is an exception though. Just like Dexter, I actually got the RP instead of the R because of the CFA.

I really hope they continue on this new color path because Fujifilm, Olympus and Panasonic have all been more "eye pleasing" than Canon lately. Again, if you ask me. It's a personal thing I guess.

Anyway...I am optimistic based on what I've seen so far...

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,405

juanmaasecas wrote:

shootrawww wrote:

In that picture, the eos R is from Lightroom with the Adobe color profile, and the R6 picture is the DPP rendering. So not fair at all.

The Irene example has been discussed and I still think the color difference is big.

LR/ACR does indeed have Camera Standard profile for the R and it is actually very close to DPP. So it shouldn't be an issue here (assuming she used Camera Standard). WB could warm it up of course but the colors wouldn't automatically twist to the R6 hues, that I can see with my naked eye. The R6 has a warmer base with more magenta. You can continue editing the R file to look the same, but it would take more time.

In fact, I think this is a very good example. The R image here shows everything I didn't like with the rendition. And I don't think the lighting is that different. Both are shot in the exact same place and around the same time I would say. In the summer as well. And they are not in direct sunlight. The R shows its ugly face with default washed out skin and a general cold/green bias.

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398

henrikbengtsson wrote:

I agree here.

In fact, I think this is a very good example. The R image here shows everything I didn't like with the rendition.

Irene Rudnyk is not a scientist providing data. She is just giving an example based on her experience. I think its wise to take that experience seriously.

The R shows its ugly face with default washed out skin and a general cold/green bias.

It's a downside of the camera. It's not in every picture, but sometimes it shows this flaws where even my M50 is better.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,925

thunder storm wrote:

henrikbengtsson wrote:

I agree here.

😂

-- hide signature --
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398

jonpais wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

henrikbengtsson wrote:

I agree here.

😂

???

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more

Besides I also saw this video recently which confirms the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvh_i7Wvm7o

If you look at the skin tones, in the same situation, the reviewers themselves are quite amazed at how (much) better the skin tones from the 6D look vs the R

Dexter75 wrote:

Thanks !

I really love Canon for their great reliable camera's and the R, RP and 6d  II disappointed me, not because of their features because it's more then enough for me, but their disappointed colors and no I could never tweak it the way i wanted, files always have that ugly '6d ii /R / RP' look mostly..

The RP is a tad better but not like old canon like 6d, 5d iii etc

The M50 on the other hand did have very nice skin tones !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads