New challenge host needs help !

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 316
New challenge host needs help !

Have just started a series, first one all uncontroversial....second one have just had four complaints because the pics weren't taken this year as required in the rules.

My own view is so, who cares, this is supposed to be fun......but  how would people normally approach this?

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,928
Re: New challenge host needs help !

Dweeble wrote:

Have just started a series, first one all uncontroversial....second one have just had four complaints because the pics weren't taken this year as required in the rules.

My own view is so, who cares, this is supposed to be fun......but how would people normally approach this?

Thanks for hosting, and it was nice seeing you trying to drum up entrants in the Nikon Pro DX forum.  I'm curious, though, as to why you made it a challenge rule that pictures had to be taken this year if you didn't care when the pictures were taken.

Enforcing rules help to make the competition fair.  Those following the rule of only entering pictures taken in 2020 might have pictures that are more spectacular but were taken one or more years ago.  However, they obediently choose only from among their 2020 pictures.  Someone ignoring the rule and submitting a great picture from 2019 or older is not playing under the same restrictions.  That's an unfair advantage and one reason why hosts disqualify entries that don't follow the rules.

OP Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 316

Well, the reason is put the date in is that I wanted to see entries from folk who are still using that old donkey!

I guess my view is that it just isn't such a big issue - no money at stake, no-one gets hurt......does it really matter?

Also in this case, knocking out the offending entries would leave it as pretty near a one horse race

So I wil be merciful this time. But in future....TOTAL ADEHERENCE will be demanded. Either that or I'll lose interest in challenge hosting!

Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,556

Dweeble wrote:

second one have just had four complaints because the pics weren't taken this year as required in the rules.

If you can't enforce a challenge rule, don't put it in the challenge.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Tim Reidy Productions
Tim Reidy Productions Veteran Member • Posts: 4,089
enforcement

that is the problem with date rules is enforcing them, but they are part of the challenge, and good fun.

The reason in enforcing is to protect those that followed the rules.

Tim Reidy Productions's gear list:Tim Reidy Productions's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 218

Look at a couple of recent threads in the Challenge Discussion forum, and you will see that I have been enbroiled in a sometimes quite bitter debate about this.  I have raised you exact philosophy about the challenges.  These are low stakes, fun competitions run by volunteers.  There is a large cohort of challenge participants who are very militant that the challenges are very very very serious, and the criticism is extremely intense and personal if you don't agree as a host or entrant.

To one extent this seem bonkers for the reasons you and I agree on above.  To another if that's what the community demands, then maybe that's what they should get.  I can't deliver a super serious challenge with over zealous administration, so I have decided to retire from hosting.  It's a shame as my intention was to provide a creative diversion for some folks were in lock downs.

Good luck, my friend, if you are sticking to your guns on this, but brace yourself for a rough ride...!

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a7R II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more

Well, no one has threatened me with litigation yet, so that's all good

I guess the answer is to design challenges which don't need rules. And to walk away as you have if it gets stressy and grumpy!

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,877

I get the idea behind capture date "rules", but since exif data can be easily and quickly faked, my suggestion is put the capture date as a guideline in the challenge description and not as a rule you have no way of enforcing. Only the dumb cheaters might get caught.

If someone really wants to submit a photo outside of the capture date restriction they can easily do so without being detected.

How to fake exif data is common knowledge in my experience.

For example, here I have the same image with 3 different EXIF data.

Which, if any, of the 3 contain the original true exif data?

Feel free to download the images and look at the exif data.

EXIF 1

EXIF 2

EXIF 3

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,798

Dweeble wrote:

I guess the answer is to design challenges which don't need rules. And to walk away as you have if it gets stressy and grumpy!

Welcome as a host! New hosts and fresh thoughts in the challenges are always needed!

As has many time been said in different DPR threads, you need to have a (somewhat) "thick hide".

Don't hesitate to set some rules you find appropriate. If you like the idea about using "date rules" to activate people, use it, regardless of the campaign against that rule. When hosting you need, as earlier has been said, to "stand your ground". If you DQ some pictures some people will certainly complain. This regardless of if the DQ was right or "wrong" according to your rules. As a host you set the rules and you don't really need to defend your DQ, just carry on. Don't take all feedback personally, (people sometimes comment in a quite foolish way)

During the latter years "newer members" seems to easier and easier get "hurt" about seemingly correct remarks or criticism. (Somewhat like in the society generally where everybody seems to personally get hurt about everything or get hurt on behalf of somebody else). As a host you shouldn't feel hurt about everything, because then you will hardly enjoy your hosting.

good luck

Jahn

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
David1961

JahnG wrote:

Dweeble wrote:

Welcome as a host! New hosts and fresh thoughts in the challenges are always needed!

As has many time been said in different DPR threads, you need to have a (somewhat) "thick hide".

In addition, one can take the attitude that the attacker has no way of knowing who they are talking to in real life.

I have often posted in the forums to people foolishly attempting to attack David1961 that it is of no interest or consequence to me at all in real life what anonymous people anywhere on the www think of David1961. After all, how can it be ?

Don't hesitate to set some rules you find appropriate. If you like the idea about using "date rules" to activate people, use it, regardless of the campaign against that rule. When hosting you need, as earlier has been said, to "stand your ground". If you DQ some pictures some people will certainly complain. This regardless of if the DQ was right or "wrong" according to your rules. As a host you set the rules and you don't really need to defend your DQ, just carry on. Don't take all feedback personally, (people sometimes comment in a quite foolish way)

During the latter years "newer members" seems to easier and easier get "hurt" about seemingly correct remarks or criticism. (Somewhat like in the society generally where everybody seems to personally get hurt about everything or get hurt on behalf of somebody else). As a host you shouldn't feel hurt about everything, because then you will hardly enjoy your hosting.

good luck

Jahn

Canon EOS 90D
jetals
jetals Contributing Member • Posts: 680

If you do DQ an entry, I suggest it would be courteous to PM the entrant and say why. If they knew the entrant was breaking a rule in the challenge, the PM would let them know they are on notice. If they didn't know, they are better off knowing.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

I never make mistakes.
I thought that I did once, but I was wrong.

Yes, that seems basic good manners and would have done so if I had booted anyone out.

Was actually thinking of posting a short, kind and constructive comment on each entry but laziness overcame me. Has anyone else tried that?

PS David, I have a cunning plan on EXIF cheating - only accept pics with Image Authentication! I've never actually used it, and apparantly it makes the camera go at 1fps but it's kinda neat knowing I can take evidential pics if needed

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,928

jetals wrote:

If you do DQ an entry, I suggest it would be courteous to PM the entrant and say why.

That's part of the disqualification process.  A host clicks on "disqualify," and  a box pops up where you type in the reason, which then gets sent to the entrant.  There is also an option to cancel the disqualification later should the host have made the disqualification in error or simply changed his mind.

David1961

That sounds like something you run in-camera as it outputs the image raw or jpeg file.

Canon EOS 90D
tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

Dweeble wrote:

My own view is so, who cares, this is supposed to be fun.....

' They're supposed to be "challenging". ' - Phil Askey :  Dpreview founder .

MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Dweeble wrote:

My own view is so, who cares, this is supposed to be fun......but how would people normally approach this?

Hi Dweeble

Thanks for this interesting thread.

Some of the replies to your posting here explains why I stopped hosting. The light hearted fun and daily enjoyment just isn’t there since so many people are sitting on the side not doing anything themselves other than criticizing and being demeaning.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Marcus

MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Chuck_G Regular Member • Posts: 116

I have been reading this thread with quite a bit of interest. I have just been accepted to host challenges and feel the more information, suggestions, and opinions from forum members the better off I will be. It helps me decide what rules for the challenges I create will be easier to enforce. Best of luck to you with your challenges. My first one as a host will be coming soon.

Chuck_G's gear list:Chuck_G's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic G85 Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 6,361

Dweeble wrote:

Well, the reason is put the date in is that I wanted to see entries from folk who are still using that old donkey!

I guess my view is that it just isn't such a big issue - no money at stake, no-one gets hurt......does it really matter?

Also in this case, knocking out the offending entries would leave it as pretty near a one horse race

So I wil be merciful this time. But in future....TOTAL ADEHERENCE will be demanded. Either that or

I'll lose interest in challenge hosting!

Then, leave.

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 218

Charming reply.

But on the plus side, uncharacteristically direct and intelligible.

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a7R II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 6,361

Bill Thoo wrote:

Charming reply.

But on the plus side, uncharacteristically direct and intelligible.

Question;  "Shall new hosts have voted a minimum of 1k times, before being accepted as hosts?"  That's ok; he just wants to have fun.

I like funny people even when they feel pretty.

The OP's very first post begged this response;

And, member dwibble has been trying to find his niche since then.  Dwibble also votes often.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads