Is the supposed LX100ii dust problem a real problem?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Is the supposed LX100ii dust problem a real problem?

Title says it all. Been looking for a small compact camera and LX100ii is interesting, but don't want to deal with dust in the sensor.

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Is the supposed LX100ii dust problem a real problem?

Anecdotes aren’t data, and you’re far more likely to hear about dust spots than you will a lack of spots. People without dust issues aren’t likely to come to a board to not complain

That being said - I have a dust spot on my LX100 II’s sensor. It’s only really visible stopped down to f8 or smaller, and cleans up pretty easily, but it’s annoying.

Ken Prager Regular Member • Posts: 328

How long did it take for your LX100 II to get dust on the sensor? I’m planning to get a LX100 II.

I shoot jpegs and do minimal editing in post using Snapseed. Fortunately, Snapseed has a dust removal feature, so I should be able to remove the dust. 😉

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 689

I first noticed the dust spot after about a year and a half, maybe year and 9 months or so of heavy and not particularly gentle use.

For what it’s worth:

• The dust has always been easy to remove in post (if it can be even seen; wide open, it’s never been visible).
  • I was also able to partially remove the spot by repeatedly turning it on and off with a vacuum nozzle placed right next to the lens assembly. I need to do that again to see if I can get the rest of the dust out.
  • I never had the issue with my original LX100, which I used heavily for two and a half years.

Thanks so much for the additional information. It’s a unique camera that I’m looking forward to using.

Allen in Bethesda, MD Contributing Member • Posts: 577

I own both the original LX100 and the LX100 ii. I have never had a dust problem with either camera. Panasonic says that it made a design change in the LX100 ii to reduce the likelihood of dust getting inside. But I think the question of whether you will see dust on the sensor relates to the environment in which you use the camera and the amount of care that you give it.  Also, I recommend getting a case for the camera so that you can put it away and out of the elements when you are not taking pictures.

Allen in Bethesda, MD's gear list:Allen in Bethesda, MD's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Olympus TG-5 +1 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182

Allen in Bethesda, MD wrote:

... Panasonic says that it made a design change in the LX100 ii to reduce the likelihood of dust getting inside. ...

Do you have a link that the statement is officially from "Panasonic"?

Read a lot of statements by third parties noting that been said by Panasonic, but I have never found any such statement issued directly from Panasonic,

Nothing mentioned in the Panasonic's LX100 II Information/ Specifications (HERE) as to any improvements to the LX100 II's lens design to reduce dust intrusion.

Given the fact as to how much there is on the internet/ user reviews as to the
LX100 MK 1 lens dust issue, seems Panasonic would have noted in the LX100 II Information/ Specifications of any such improvements.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,295

I don't have the LX100 MKII now, but when I had it did find the quote from Panasonic on changes they made to reduce the chance of dust. It's out there

Rick

Jon_T wrote:

... Panasonic says that it made a design change in the LX100 ii to reduce the likelihood of dust getting inside. ...

Do you have a link that the statement is officially from "Panasonic"?

Read a lot of statements by third parties noting that been said by Panasonic, but I have never found any such statement issued directly from Panasonic,

Nothing mentioned in the Panasonic's LX100 II Information/ Specifications (HERE) as to any improvements to the LX100 II's lens design to reduce dust intrusion.

Given the fact as to how much there is on the internet/ user reviews as to the
LX100 MK 1 lens dust issue, seems Panasonic would have noted in the LX100 II Information/ Specifications of any such improvements.

Cheers,
Jon

Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Leica X (Typ 113) Canon G1 X III
Jon_T

Bejersey wrote:

I don't have the LX100 MKII now, but when I had it did find the quote from Panasonic on changes they made to reduce the chance of dust. It's out there ...

I asked because I've done a lot of Google searching and have not found anything from Panasonic; e.g., "Panasonic LX100 II Press Release" HERE.

As noted just would think given the large amount of negative LX100 MK1 dust issues postings, I would think Panasonic would note any lens dust intrusion improvements on the Panasonic's LX100 II Information/ Specifications.

I have the LX100 MK1, so far no sensor dust issues. Eventually will get the LX1000 II as I did with the LX100 MK1—after the price drops.

Thanks,
Jon

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
Bejersey

Panasonic didn't initially make any claims of enhanced sealing with the LX100 II. However, following claims of improved sealing around the lens, we are told: "There is no additional urethane sealing used but we have a countermeasure to prevent the dust ingress with the LX100M2. There will no longer be a gap when the lens barrel is moving."

"We have a countermeasure to prevent the dust ingress with the LX100M2"

This is promising, since dust getting sucked-in by the lens mechanism became a widely-discussed concern with the original version.

Jon_T wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

I don't have the LX100 MKII now, but when I had it did find the quote from Panasonic on changes they made to reduce the chance of dust. It's out there ...

I asked because I've done a lot of Google searching and have not found anything from Panasonic; e.g., "Panasonic LX100 II Press Release" HERE.

As noted just would think given the large amount of negative LX100 MK1 dust issues postings, I would think Panasonic would note any lens dust intrusion improvements on the Panasonic's LX100 II Information/ Specifications.

I have the LX100 MK1, so far no sensor dust issues. Eventually will get the LX1000 II as I did with the LX100 MK1—after the price drops.

Thanks,
Jon

Cpljacko Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I had no problems with the LX100 Mk1 but my Mk2 came with a speck of debris on the sensor which obviously originated in the manufacturing process. It went back to Panasonic who returned it to me with a new sensor. No problems since. It may be relevant that it was one of early Mk2s - I got it shortly after they went on sale here in the UK.

Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
OP Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Well thanks everyone.

Jon_T

Bejersey wrote:

Panasonic didn't initially make any claims of enhanced sealing with the LX100 II.

However, following claims of improved sealing around the lens, we are told: "There is no additional urethane sealing used but we have a countermeasure to prevent the dust ingress with the LX100M2. There will no longer be a gap when the lens barrel is moving."

"We have a countermeasure to prevent the dust ingress with the LX100M2"

This is promising, since dust getting sucked-in by the lens mechanism became a widely-discussed concern with the original version.

Thanks again.

Sorry, and with all due respect, but you're just re-posting same info without any authenticity that the "source" of the lens improvement "claims" are from and/or verified by Panasonic.

As Ronald Reagan said: "Trust, but verify."

Like yourself I've read all the LX100/ LX100 II sensor dust topics on this forum.

Jon

Jon_T wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

Thanks,
Jon

The quote is by the reviewer from CameraLabs who spoke directly to Panasonic.  This may still be second-hand, but it is from someone who actually spoke to the company about the dust issue.  See the LX100 ii review on the CameraLabs website.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Olympus TG-5 +1 more
Jon_T

The quote is by the reviewer from CameraLabs who spoke directly to Panasonic. This may still be second-hand, but it is from someone who actually spoke to the company about the dust issue. See the LX100 ii review on the CameraLabs website.

Link to review HERE:

Been reading Gordon Laing's reviews for years; IMO he's trustworthy.

However the statement from Panasonic was vague; type of answer one would get from a politician.

Guess Panasonic downplaying the LX100 II lens improvements as a way of not acknowledging the LX100 lens had a dust intrusion problem.

Well, there may be some truth in the statement as I haven't seen many dust complaints  for this camera in the forum.  Also, it's refreshing to see that Panasonic at least acknowledged the problem!

Bejersey
Why didn't DP Review talk about the LX100 and dust problems?

DP Review should have been proactive and reported this as a common problem.

Well, there may be some truth in the statement as I haven't seen many dust complaints for this camera in the forum. Also, it's refreshing to see that Panasonic at least acknowledged the problem!

Since we mostly read about the dust issue from those who’ve had problems, we have little idea how many have not. So, there’s no way to know how pervasive the problem is.

Re: Why didn't DP Review talk about the LX100 and dust problems?

Yes, it would have been helpful if dpreview reported the dust issue.

olympiad Forum Member • Posts: 78

Over 4 years with the Mk1 and 1/12 years with the Mk2 no dust......

Mick

olympiad's gear list:olympiad's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic LX100 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads