A7r IV Screen Protector

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
BlackSnow New Member • Posts: 10
A7r IV Screen Protector

I'm a long-time Sony user having had the A7R, A7s, and then A7rII. Prior to these three I had also had exposure to the NEX-7 through work, and my universal experience with all of these cameras was that within a year even given pretty light use, the rear screens looked awful, and that this was due primarily to the screen protector that comes stock.

As such, I've been taking off the stock protectors when new and putting glass ones on these last couple of A7 series cameras. That I must say worked wonderfully, and aside from a small bubble forming on one after about 3 years, the backs looked amazing before I sold them on, so it appeared best to just nip this issue in the bud versus waiting for things to get worse with the stock setup.

On the A7r IV can anyone confirm that it comes with the same type of stock protector the older models did, and if so, does the stock protector still deteriorate like the older ones? I found a video of a woman removing a A7rIII protector, that looked pretty much like the old ones (with mostly the same problems), but nothing on the newest model.

Also, has the touch screen changed these considerations at all? Does this restrict what can be put on it?

I found a few older conversations on this topic, but nothing clearly definitive, likely as many of these were posted right after the camera came out, and I assume few people had really dug into this issue of yet nor experienced real wear and tear.

Many thanks for sharing any thoughts or experiences on the A7r IV and this issue.

-Scott

Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7R IV Sony a7S Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: A7r IV Screen Protector

That's not screen protector deterioration, that's coating deterioration, They don't use that coating anymore since the A7III.

Qqphot Regular Member • Posts: 101

I don't recall any of my Sony bodies coming with a preinstalled screen protector that could be removed. If they did, then I was putting glass screen protectors on top of them because I never saw any sign of one already on there.

Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 271

Qqphot wrote:

I don't recall any of my Sony bodies coming with a preinstalled screen protector that could be removed. If they did, then I was putting glass screen protectors on top of them because I never saw any sign of one already on there.

It's very hard to see and very hard to remove, you need a knife and good eyes, and even then the glue is kinda strong, almost as if it's not meant to be peeled off.

OP BlackSnow New Member • Posts: 10

Indeed, if you google A7r II screen protector removal, you can find videos of the top layer being removed. It's like a semi-rigid plastic, that peels off, then one can add a better layer on top.  I only knew about it because I had such problems with these earlier models, I figured better to just sort it out at purchase.

Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234

I just fit Larmor glass protectors straight onto the new camera LCDs. Never saw any need to remove the original. No impact on my A7RIII.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads