Image Stabilization

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
engbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,020
Image Stabilization

Over the past few months there have been posts about focus problems with the A7R4, especially with the 200-600.  A least some seem to be from using stabilization at too high shutter speeds.

But we really need stabilization to aim and focus the camera.  Sony should make it stop just before the exposure if calculates it will not help.

That's what all this tech is for!

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,297
Re: Image Stabilization

engbert wrote:

Over the past few months there have been posts about focus problems with the A7R4, especially with the 200-600. A least some seem to be from using stabilization at too high shutter speeds.

But we really need stabilization to aim and focus the camera. Sony should make it stop just before the exposure if calculates it will not help.

I suppose... but we can't even get Sony to turn off EFCS at shutter speeds where it becomes a problem.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 347

SQLGuy wrote:

I suppose... but we can't even get Sony to turn off EFCS at shutter speeds where it becomes a problem.

SQLGuy,

Could you kindly elaborate a bit more on this issue?  I routinely shoot BIF with my A7rIV and 200-600mm at 1/1000, 1/1500 and 1/2000, and was not aware of an EFCS issue, nor of  shutter speed issues.

I'm most curious to learn more on what the problem is, and of course how to remediate,  so of course would appreciate some more information. Hey, I'm always looking for tips to make my photos better.

Thanks,  Kevin

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
dcstep Contributing Member • Posts: 921

engbert wrote:

Over the past few months there have been posts about focus problems with the A7R4, especially with the 200-600. A least some seem to be from using stabilization at too high shutter speeds.

But we really need stabilization to aim and focus the camera. Sony should make it stop just before the exposure if calculates it will not help.

Practice and you'll get the hang of it. I shoot my 600 GM with 1.4x TC hand held, with OSS off at speeds over 1/1000-sec. I don't understand why, but the keeper rate is much closer to 100% with OSS off. I used to notice instability as I aimed, when I first started turning it off, but it's no longer an issue at all. I shoot thousands of clicks per week. If you only shoot occasionally under those conditions, I think you're better off leaving OSS on and putting up with the slight decline in keeper rate.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dcstep's gear list:dcstep's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +8 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 17,436

JerseySailor wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

SQLGuy,

Could you kindly elaborate a bit more on this issue? I routinely shoot BIF with my A7rIV and 200-600mm at 1/1000, 1/1500 and 1/2000, and was not aware of an EFCS issue, nor of shutter speed issues.

It's in the documentation for your camera.

Note

• When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large-aperture lens attached, out-of-focus circle produced by the bokeh effect may get cut off because of the shutter mechanism. If this happens, set [e-Front Curtain Shutter] to [Off].
  • When a lens made by another manufacturer (including a Minolta/Konica-Minolta lens) is used, set this function to [Off]. If you set this function to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.
  • When you shoot at high shutter speeds, the image brightness may become uneven depending on the shooting environment. In such cases, set [e-Front Curtain Shutter] to [Off].
Tr3v420 Junior Member • Posts: 26

dcstep wrote:

engbert wrote:

Practice and you'll get the hang of it. I shoot my 600 GM with 1.4x TC hand held, with OSS off at speeds over 1/1000-sec. I don't understand why, but the keeper rate is much closer to 100% with OSS off. I used to notice instability as I aimed, when I first started turning it off, but it's no longer an issue at all. I shoot thousands of clicks per week. If you only shoot occasionally under those conditions, I think you're better off leaving OSS on and putting up with the slight decline in keeper rate.

theres pages and pages of users with issues using a7r4 and their 200-600. Many have tried with stabilization off, high shutter speeds, ect. Even 'pros' who would know how to shoot with a high mp camera are saying there is an issue.

Your 600 gm isnt the issue.

Tr3v420 wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was just reporting my experience.

My experience with the a9/600GM combo is close to 100% keeper rate for BIF, except for user error where I miss the target. With OSS on it only drops a little, to say 85-90%. With OSS off it's in the 95% to 100% range. I remember the days of 70% with a Canon 7D and that was consider "okay". Our standards keep moving higher and higher.

BTW, a7RIII drops keeper rate down below 90% with bare lens and even further with TC. I think that the a7-series is only good for slower BIF in good light and without TC, but I'm spoiled.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +8 more

dcstep wrote:

Tr3v420 wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was just reporting my experience.

My experience with the a9/600GM combo is close to 100% keeper rate for BIF, except for user error where I miss the target. With OSS on it only drops a little, to say 85-90%. With OSS off it's in the 95% to 100% range. I remember the days of 70% with a Canon 7D and that was consider "okay". Our standards keep moving higher and higher.

BTW, a7RIII drops keeper rate down below 90% with bare lens and even further with TC. I think that the a7-series is only good for slower BIF in good light and without TC, but I'm spoiled.

Oh, BTW, I've never seen a real test of this. I wish someone would design a repeatable test and give us a clear answer, about OSS on or off over 1/1000-sec for BIF.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads