filming a projector

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Busterbboy New Member • Posts: 3
filming a projector

Hi - my son has a Sony A7S2, and has to film a dip projector.

Any suggestions how he can avoid banding and flicker?

Any way to adjust the shutter speed/frame rate combo?

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,966
Re: filming a projector

Busterbboy wrote:

That's going to be difficult, as DLP projectors generally use a spinning colour wheel to generate the colour.

You need to start with finding out what the refresh rate is on the projector. Once you have that, you know what shutter speeds you need.

If the projector is set to 60Hz, try around 1/15th or so. You may get some blur, but that's better than having completely random colours, which you'll get if you use a higher shutterspeed.

OP Busterbboy New Member • Posts: 3

Lan wrote:

Busterbboy wrote:

That's going to be difficult, as DLP projectors generally use a spinning colour wheel to generate the colour.

You need to start with finding out what the refresh rate is on the projector. Once you have that, you know what shutter speeds you need.

If the projector is set to 60Hz, try around 1/15th or so. You may get some blur, but that's better than having completely random colours, which you'll get if you use a higher shutterspeed.

Okay, thanks. 1/15 will make a pretty poor video! Particularly as my son values sharpness.

Well, he'll have to experiment, and try to find out what the refresh rate is.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726

Lan wrote:

Busterbboy wrote:

Oh makes sense. I have been trying to take pictures of my projector, wondering why the colors kept changing.   Thanks

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
OP Busterbboy New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for that.

Any idea how I would go about finding the refresh rate on my projector?

And then, how to set the shutter speed for video filming on the Sony A7Sii? There seem to  such  limited options, only 50/50 in HD mode.

Suggestions welcome!

FuzzyKeys Regular Member • Posts: 246

Interesting discussion. I’ve been looking into getting a projector to use as an experimental continuous light and my research lead me to LCD projectors due to what has already been mentioned about how DLP technology works. I found a 3000 lumens 1280x800 projector for $140 on ebay so I ordered it to try it out.

FuzzyKeys's gear list:FuzzyKeys's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads