Hating my Sony A6000

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ZMM14 New Member • Posts: 8
Hating my Sony A6000

I'm fairly new to DSLR and specially Mirrorless cameras.
Took a course with an film camera as a teenager but did not keep up with photography.

I bought an used Canon 500D and paired with a 50mm f1.8 Yongnuo. I thought I managed to learn the different focus modes on the Canon + the "Sweet Spot" on the Yongnuo lens.

Since I became a new mom I wanted to be able to capture all those fast movement of my kid and also portraits, so I decided to try a brand new (in 2019) Sony Alpha 6000 with the kit lens 16-50mm.

Since most of my pictures were going to be indoor and also Love some Bokeh (But I'm a new mom... and broke) I pick up a Sony FE 50mm f1.8 second hand for $160 (In case in a future I could get a full frame).

Bottom line I haven't been able to take a single one sharp picture with this camera using either the kit lens or the Sony FE 50mm. I have seen so many videos on the different focusing modes, setting and all possible things I could be doing wrong.

I'm starting to hated it... thinking seriously on selling it and going back to my old but lovely Canon500D with my $48 dollars Chinese lens, back button and focus and recompose method (I'm still struggling with this method on the A6000).

Please help! I can't get the OSS version of this lens (couldn't back then and still can't afford it) and don't want give up yet without put in up a fight

What can I do? how can I test the lens or camera to know if there is something wrong with either or is just me not knowing how to use it!!!

Than you all, sorry for my long post. English isn't my first language.

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,887
Re: Hating my Sony A6000

Post a couple of bad pictures. It may not be the focussing that's the problem.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,203

So sorry to hear of your frustrations.  Don't worry about your english - certainly sounds good enought to me!

Would you be able to post a couple of your not sharp pictures?  It's very hard to make suggestions without seeing what's happening.

If we can, I'm sure the folks her will want to help

Dave

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,758

LIke the others say we need to see an example of a bad picture. Does the camera take nice, sharp photos outside on a bright sunny day?

Taking photos of fast-moving children indoors is very difficult - almost like taking indoor/night photos of professional sports. All new parents with new cameras have problems with this. You are not alone. I don't see how using the 500D would be any different.

I usually take indoor photos of my 3 granddaughters right next to a big window or I use bounce flash.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony a7 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +30 more
Autonerd Contributing Member • Posts: 756

Some pictures would help, as others say.

As a quick fix, you could try shooting in aperture priority mode ("A" on the dial) and setting a relatively small aperture (bigger number, so f/8 or f/16 or higher). This will increase the depth of field, or DOF (how much of the photo is in focus -- technically, the distance between the closest and furthest-away objects that will be in focus). Shooting at a wider angle (shorter focal length) will also increase DOF, but makes it harder to zoom in on your subjects.

This does require a lot of light, though, so your camera may force higher ISOs which means the images don't look as good.

For the record, I have a Sony a6000 (with the OSS 18-55) and love it, but most of what I take pictures of isn't zooming around as quick as a baby!

Aaron

skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,518

ZMM14 wrote:

Since I became a new mom I wanted to be able to capture all those fast movement of my kid and also portraits, so I decided to try a brand new (in 2019) Sony Alpha 6000 with the kit lens 16-50mm.

Bottom line I haven't been able to take a single one sharp picture with this camera using either the kit lens or the Sony FE 50mm. I have seen so many videos on the different focusing modes, setting and all possible things I could be doing wrong.

I'm starting to hated it... thinking seriously on selling it and going back to my old but lovely Canon500D with my $48 dollars Chinese lens, back button and focus and recompose method (I'm still struggling with this method on the A6000).

When using the A6000 to take posed pictures, are you pressing the shutter button down half way, then pausing to allow the focus to lock, before pressing the shutter button all the way down to snap the picture?  Pausing to allow focus to lock is a must for sharp pictures.

Also, since you do the focus and recompose method (which is great and what I use), did you set your camera for single area focus in the menu?  Single area focus puts a small square box in the center of the viewfinder for the focus area.  Put that square on the face of your subject, then half press and wait for focus to lock (a beep or an indicator in the viewfinder).  Then recompose and then press the shutter all the way down SLOWLY until the shutter trips.  So slowly that the shutter tripping surprises you.  That minimizes hand held camera shake.

Be sure that image stabilization is enabled on your camera for sharpest handheld pictures.

Finally for snaps of moving kids, try taking video using the 4K resolution that the A6000 is capable of.  Then use the free VLC program to extract stills from the video.  Stills extracted from 4K video are about 8MP in size which can be used for 8x10 inch prints with no loss of resolution.

Sky

Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Just use monster iso

You need a fast shutter speed(S on mode dial). 1/200-1/500 sounds about right. To achieve this indoors, you're going to need to crank up the iso value. 3200-6400, something like that. Even 12800.

Or simply use a sports/high sensitivity scene mode(SCN). The camera will know what to do.

For this i would also use center area focus(face detect priority)+ C-AF.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,110

skyglider wrote:

ZMM14 wrote:

When using the A6000 to take posed pictures, are you pressing the shutter button down half way, then pausing to allow the focus to lock, before pressing the shutter button all the way down to snap the picture? Pausing to allow focus to lock is a must for sharp pictures.

Also, since you do the focus and recompose method (which is great and what I use), did you set your camera for single area focus in the menu? Single area focus puts a small square box in the center of the viewfinder for the focus area. Put that square on the face of your subject, then half press and wait for focus to lock (a beep or an indicator in the viewfinder). Then recompose and then press the shutter all the way down SLOWLY until the shutter trips. So slowly that the shutter tripping surprises you. That minimizes hand held camera shake.

Be sure that image stabilization is enabled on your camera for sharpest handheld pictures.

Finally for snaps of moving kids, try taking video using the 4K resolution that the A6000 is capable of. Then use the free VLC program to extract stills from the video. Stills extracted from 4K video are about 8MP in size which can be used for 8x10 inch prints with no loss of resolution.

Sky

Good Points Sky ... +1

WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,199

ZMM14 wrote:

Some will criticise the kit lens, but it is unlikely to be the cause of you troubles.

Have you read the user manual? Most of the on-line videos are misleading.

You shouldn't need BBF or focus and recompose with the a6000. using the correct AF method, you should be able to select a focus point and track that while you compose the shot.

What can I do? how can I test the lens or camera to know if there is something wrong with either or is just me not knowing how to use it!

Try the "Intelligent Auto" mode of your camera.

Despite its small size, the a6000 is a complex little beast, and may take you up to a year to get the best from it.

Final tip: Don't worry about Bokeh, Manual mode and all the other distractions that beginners suffer.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Kev_24 Forum Member • Posts: 95

Maybe a focusing problem

OP ZMM14 New Member • Posts: 8

lehill wrote:

LIke the others say we need to see an example of a bad picture. Does the camera take nice, sharp photos outside on a bright sunny day?

Taking photos of fast-moving children indoors is very difficult - almost like taking indoor/night photos of professional sports. All new parents with new cameras have problems with this. You are not alone. I don't see how using the 500D would be any different.

I usually take indoor photos of my 3 granddaughters right next to a big window or I use bounce flash.

I will definitely try this suggestion, thank you very much

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads