How to differentiate a female and male Heron?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JackiePan
JackiePan Forum Member • Posts: 70
How to differentiate a female and male Heron?

There are a big population of Great Herons in my area, just curious to know, how to differentiate male and female, any idea on it?

Some are busy building their nests, and others are busy with their prey.

JackiePan's gear list:JackiePan's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,013
Re: How to differentiate a female and male Heron?

Observing and photographing in a heron rookery is always special treat. Lovely images, a pleasure to view JackiePan.

Far as I know the only difference, which can be hard to see (at least for me) is size and bill length - the males being larger with a longer bill.  Easier to see the differences if you can see a mating pair sitting next to each other.

Stay safe.  Ev

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 1,850

Great set here !

Found this on the internet...(Google translation Dutch ---> English)

Heron females and males are very similar? Herons breed between February and June. However, the females and males have an identical appearance and even for the herons it is difficult to recognize the opposite sex. Therefore, courtship involves many ceremonial gestures. From the responses to his gestures, the heron can tell whether he is dealing with a male or female.

Source : https://www.bnnvara.nl/vroegevogels/artikelen/reigervrouwtjes-en-mannetjes-erg-op-elkaar-lijken

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
JackiePan
OP JackiePan Forum Member • Posts: 70

embie wrote:

Great set here !

Heron females and males are very similar? Herons breed between February and June. However, the females and males have an identical appearance and even for the herons it is difficult to recognize the opposite sex. Therefore, courtship involves many ceremonial gestures. From the responses to his gestures, the heron can tell whether he is dealing with a male or female.

Source : https://www.bnnvara.nl/vroegevogels/artikelen/reigervrouwtjes-en-mannetjes-erg-op-elkaar-lijken

eMBie

That sounds very interesting, thank you.  i will pay more attention to their gestures.

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
JackiePan

p900learner wrote:

Observing and photographing in a heron rookery is always special treat. Lovely images, a pleasure to view JackiePan.

Far as I know the only difference, which can be hard to see (at least for me) is size and bill length - the males being larger with a longer bill. Easier to see the differences if you can see a mating pair sitting next to each other.

Stay safe. Ev

Thank you, i will take a close observation at their bill length.

Stay safe.

JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 974

JackiePan wrote:

embie wrote:

Great set here !

eMBie

That sounds very interesting, thank you. i will pay more attention to their gestures.

That's easy the one who is doing the most talking is the female. (joking) 

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733

Pull it's genes down!

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

LOL!   Thank you, Morris!  Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +5 more
pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,816

With Snowy Egrets (egrets and herons are closely related), it's the male that collects the twigs and the female builds the nest.

Also, the eyelashes are longer on the females.:-O

-- hide signature --
 pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +18 more
Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 14,722

Great shots. Behavioural difference during mating sesean is the only way to identify the sexes.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

JackiePan

Thanks a lot for all your input, which is quite helpful.

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

beautifully composed and captured, all of them!

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads