Are all hotshoes created equal?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
meow Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Are all hotshoes created equal?

I know they aren't when it comes to the electrical stuff. But surely their dimensions are the same?

I want to buy a cheap macro light that fits in the hotshoe, no electical connection to the camera, just to dip my toes a little. It comes in two versions. One for DSLR and one for "mirrorless camera". The light arms are longer on the DSLR version. I'm thinking that's the only difference and that they both fit on all cameras. Am I right?

I can only source the DSLR version locally and I think I'd prefer the long arms since I have largish lenses and since they are flexible I don't see any disadvantage even with a small lens, should I get one.

http://www.jjc.cc/index.php/Product/product_info/id/488

 meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,097
Re: Are all hotshoes created equal?

It looks like it will fit any standard hotshoe and coldshoe and is powered by its own batteries so I don't see that it will do any harm to the camera.  Either mirrorless version or DSLR version should work.

 Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
OP meow Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Re: Are all hotshoes created equal?

evogt500 wrote:

It looks like it will fit any standard hotshoe and coldshoe and is powered by its own batteries so I don't see that it will do any harm to the camera. Either mirrorless version or DSLR version should work.

No, there is no electric involvement with the camera. Thank you. Then I know. I just wasn't sure if hotshoes maybe come in different shapes and sizes nowadays.

 meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
K1W1 55
K1W1 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Re: Are all hotshoes created equal?

meow wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

It looks like it will fit any standard hotshoe and coldshoe and is powered by its own batteries so I don't see that it will do any harm to the camera. Either mirrorless version or DSLR version should work.

No, there is no electric involvement with the camera. Thank you. Then I know. I just wasn't sure if hotshoes maybe come in different shapes and sizes nowadays.

I seem to remember some Sony hot shoes are/were different, as you often see mention in products of simple non-electrical fitments "not for Sony". Might be the obsolete mindset of vendor - Sony Mirrorless, C&N dSLR

-- hide signature --

Mandatory self advertising signature follows:
Some slideshows & videos of a wee bit of my work, more to be added
if I ever sort out my music rights issues & find some suitable music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truder55/videos

 K1W1 55's gear list:K1W1 55's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +39 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,097
Re: Are all hotshoes created equal?

K1W1 55 wrote:

meow wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

It looks like it will fit any standard hotshoe and coldshoe and is powered by its own batteries so I don't see that it will do any harm to the camera. Either mirrorless version or DSLR version should work.

No, there is no electric involvement with the camera. Thank you. Then I know. I just wasn't sure if hotshoes maybe come in different shapes and sizes nowadays.

I seem to remember some Sony hot shoes are/were different, as you often see mention in products of simple non-electrical fitments "not for Sony". Might be the obsolete mindset of vendor - Sony Mirrorless, C&N dSLR

Sony used the iISO standard adopted from Minolta. It was a proprietary design that was far less likely to break.  Now they use mostly the standard hot shoe with an additional contact pins. Most other manufacturers still use the Hot shoe that is defined by the International Organization for Standardization ISO 518:2006. Of course each manufacturer has a different location for contact pins for TTL.

 Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads