M5 or M50?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,356
M5 or M50?

I am moving systems (back) to Canon. I'm going with the RP as my main system, but would like a smaller complimentary system. The M line looks pretty good, and I don't care at all about the doomers. I'm coming off m43, so what's the difference, lol. I just want to have controls in my big body and smaller body that are at least similar.

Looking at the bodies, I'm thinking likely either the M5 or M50. Maybe the M200. I'll likely only be using two lenses - M22 and the M55-200 as a travel kit.

What's the real-world difference between the 5 and the 50? I don't care about 4K - 1080 is fine, and I don't do a lot of video anyway. I do like to share to my phone. And like good AF, but it will be mainly for static shots, not action or anything like that. I like the dual dials of the M5, but do I lose anything in: AF, colors, DR or noise?

Thanks for any help

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +2 more
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,811
Re: M5 or M50?

WT21 wrote:

I am moving systems (back) to Canon. I'm going with the RP as my main system, but would like a smaller complimentary system. The M line looks pretty good, and I don't care at all about the doomers. I'm coming off m43, so what's the difference, lol. I just want to have controls in my big body and smaller body that are at least similar.

Looking at the bodies, I'm thinking likely either the M5 or M50. Maybe the M200. I'll likely only be using two lenses - M22 and the M55-200 as a travel kit.

What's the real-world difference between the 5 and the 50? I don't care about 4K - 1080 is fine, and I don't do a lot of video anyway. I do like to share to my phone. And like good AF, but it will be mainly for static shots, not action or anything like that. I like the dual dials of the M5, but do I lose anything in: AF, colors, DR or noise?

Thanks for any help

i dont have the M50 but it was an option  at the time but went for the M5...the 50 has better AF and a flippy LCD and 4K the M5 has more manual controls, and thats  why i went for it ..the main one  for me is the exposure comp that your thumb falls on ..after owning a fuji (lovely camera ..could not live with the X-trans sensor) having a histogram overly in the VF and being able to adjust exposure in a split second with my thumb until i see the histogram kiss the right changed the way i shoot  so when i replaced the fuji i wanted to still have that capability

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me it is bad I know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
.........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D70s Canon EOS M5 +9 more
PhotosByHall Regular Member • Posts: 227

I'd be interested in the differences too.

I bought the m50 and I was told the only real difference was AF is much faster and better on the m50.

To be fair, that's a biggie. I did do a model shoot last week and I don't think I missed focus once (except when I made a mistake!)

The m50 only has one control dial as well, that can be a pain when you are in A-priority and you want to be able to adjust aperture and exposure compensation quickly - but you do get used to it.

PhotosByHall's gear list:PhotosByHall's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

I have both and the M5 sits on the shelf.

M50 has better AF. It has a fully articulating screen. Its EVF is slightly (just a bit) less contrasty.

OK, it doesn't have all the dials, but I haven't missed them at all. EC is done with one click extra (up arrow then rotate the front dial) which I actually find easier than using the back dial of the M5.

Now, if you want a cheap M5 ...

Alan

Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS M50 +14 more
EsVeeFoto Regular Member • Posts: 170

I have had both the M5 (which I sold) and the M50 (which I have now). I find M50 much easier to use and the dials/buttons seem to be in the right place.

Check out this post from Helen which summarizes the differences in detail -

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61168704

I agree with her 100% here - the most annoying thing with the M5 for me and could never get adjusted to it and I ended up selling it.

I find the EVF and LCD saturation on the M50 to be correct for me, and a good match for each other - with the M5, the EVF is overly contrasty and over-saturated (for my taste) whilst the LCD seems washed out - I cannot get them to match and it is annoying at times.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,074

WT21 wrote:

And like good AF, but it will be mainly for static shots, not action or anything like that. I like the dual dials of the M5, but do I lose anything in: AF, colors, DR or noise?

Even though you don’t plan on shooting any “action” per se, I’d still recommend getting the M50 over the M5 for the improved AF. The M5’s AF can be frustrating in lower light and lower contrast, esp with a slower zoom mounted. It’ll balk entirely at times (I shot with one for two years).

And if you’d like some outstanding autofocus, then put the M6ii on your list too. Even for people (and kids running around) I think you’d appreciate the almost instant autofocus.  It’s much more in line with your RP.

Good luck with your choice!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Don Dement Contributing Member • Posts: 590

I'm a big fan of my M5 - after two years of use following my heavy 7D and 7DII (which are holding down my shelf now). I use the superb Canon 11-22mm and Tamron 18-250mm, and an occasional Rokinon 7mm.

I'm surprised at the disdain here for M5 AF. All you need to get instantaneous perfect AF is to use the touch-screen and tap on your subject. I've shot subjects quickly through little holes in heavy nearby foliage with first-time perfect focus this way, and use it all the time for nearly anything. It's still amazes me how fast it focuses. I learned this very new way to use a camera after 65 years of pushing a shutter button.

I admit that standard button-pushing-AF shooting is less than reliable in low light, but you need to try the camera's best feature - reliable, perfect and instantaneous AF with the touch screen.

If that doesn't do it for you, let me know - there's nothing lacking in the basic AF design.

Don Dement's gear list:Don Dement's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS M5 +5 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,074

Don Dement wrote:

I'm a big fan of my M5 - after two years of use following my heavy 7D and 7DII (which are holding down my shelf now).

I felt the same way about my big ol’ DSLRs.  The M5 was a fun getaway.  

I use the superb Canon 11-22mm and Tamron 18-250mm, and an occasional Rokinon 7mm.

I use a bunch of EF-Ms and a couple of big teles.

I'm surprised at the disdain here for M5 AF.

I think folks here understand that one-another’s posts aren’t meant to denigrate other photographers’ choice of cameras.  This is essentially a Gear forum and it’s expected that honest discussion is accepted (and even encouraged).  For my part I try to provide input where I can, and samples where helpful.

Regarding the M5’s autofocus, there is a long history of threads discussing the virtues and shortcomings of its autofocus capabilities.  I’ve been here through it all.

All you need to get instantaneous perfect AF is to use the touch-screen and tap on your subject.

The touch AF is indeed a great feature.  I especially like it when shooting video.  It’s like having a pro focus-puller at your side!  The touch shutter is likewise excellent.

I've shot subjects quickly through little holes in heavy nearby foliage with first-time perfect focus this way, and use it all the time for nearly anything. It's still amazes me how fast it focuses. I learned this very new way to use a camera after 65 years of pushing a shutter button.

You’re talking to a person who’s preferred (and used) the back screen for shooting for almost two decades.  

The AF routines and algorithms are the same regardless of how they are initiated.  Bottom line, the M5 needs a lot of contrast to focus, and in lower light (and with slower zooms) the AF can just refuse to lock.  Especially using Servo AF.

Other times the AF will seek out the background if it’s within the AF square (IME the M5 could really have used a Spot AF mode).  Similarly the AF liked to focus on outside edges (like hair) vs closer interior detail (like eyes).  For the most part these tendencies could be worked around once known, but they nevertheless meant that a certain number of shots were lost.

I admit that standard button-pushing-AF shooting is less than reliable in low light, but you need to try the camera's best feature - reliable, perfect and instantaneous AF with the touch screen.

We may be shooting different subjects, and/or in different conditions.  I shot with the camera for two years (and tens of thousands of images).  IME the camera had limitations that I simply worked around, using some of the techniques you mention, plus others where applicable.  The M5 was, and will still be a perfectly suitable choice for some people, and I’ve always truly believed that a person should simply shoot what works for them.  Saves a lot of money and aggravation.

If that doesn't do it for you, let me know

And it didn’t, thus my upgrade to the (superb) M6ii.  I’ve never exaggerated the M6ii’s abilities, and I back up my experiences with examples when I can (to help others with their own decisions).  Bottom line, the M6ii is a logical choice for some out there, and a needless expense for others...  Plus there’s a whole faction here who’d love the upgrade, but grace it with a built-in EVF instead   .  More power to us all!!!

Happy shooting!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Bolothegreat Regular Member • Posts: 110

WT21 wrote:

Thanks for any help

I have both the m50 & M6ii and the M6ii has way better with auto focus (not that the M50 is bad) plus the extra dials are great too.

I would go with m5 if you want the extra dial, otherwise m50 would be better...I think the m200 is the newest of the bunch with better af than m50 & would go well with the 22mm as a compact option....depends on your preference at the end.

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,637
Recommend M50

I did some research on the M5 and despite its wonderful body design the innards are a couple of generations older than the M50 ---- even the M6/M100 are faster and apparently the M5 has a few bugs which never got fixed , sadly its not the M6 with a viewfinder I hoped it would be and I bought a cheap used M100 as a get-by . the M50 in the UK even used is far from cheap and if I do get a "serious" M , I want 2 dials and the works

the M50 is just one step behind the M6-II in AF etc , but has Electronic 1st curtain shutter (as do the M5/6/100/200) and an EVF , you lose the second command dial and other buttons though but the touchscreen interface on these canons (even the humble M100) is superb ..

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D850 Nikon D610 Canon EOS M50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads