Why has Canon included the 1.6x crop on R5?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089
Why has Canon included the 1.6x crop on R5?

With 8200 pixels on the horizontal a 1.25 and 1.5 would probably be preferable for shooting cropped?

The 1.25x crop would provide a 28mp crop sensor, aps-h size and essentially a 600 f8 ff dof at 470 6.3 with 100-500, very very nice!

The 1.5 would be just a bit better imo than 1.6 and provide an equally cool 20mp crop aps size and a 700mm f9.5 dof with 470 6.3 with 100-500, also very nice😀

Obviously I can do these crops in post but I think the 1.25 and 1.5 in camera crops would reduce the use for many of the 1.4x tc, although obviously it will depend on your use.

I may decide yet to order the r5 and 100-500

Ricoh Caplio R5 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lightnchade Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Why has Canon included the 1.6x crop on R5?

Presumably because you can attach EF-S lenses via the EF-RF adapter, and they are designed for 1.6 crop.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,762

Advent1sam wrote:

With 8200 pixels on the horizontal a 1.25 and 1.5 would probably be preferable for shooting cropped?

The 1.25x crop would provide a 28mp crop sensor, aps-h size and essentially a 600 f8 ff dof at 470 6.3 with 100-500, very very nice!

The 1.5 would be just a bit better imo than 1.6 and provide an equally cool 20mp crop aps size and a 700mm f9.5 dof with 470 6.3 with 100-500, also very nice😀

Obviously I can do these crops in post but I think the 1.25 and 1.5 in camera crops would reduce the use for many of the 1.4x tc, although obviously it will depend on your use.

So yoy can use EFS lenses. The R has it as well. My guess. We won't see a crop sensor again. FF and the M will be the lines.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Advent1sam
OP Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

lightnchade wrote:

Presumably because you can attach EF-S lenses via the EF-RF adapter, and they are designed for 1.6 crop.

Yes, of course, the extra crop ratios would be cool though!

Colin46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

Advent1sam wrote:

Can’t see the point in a camera crop, just crop in post to where you want.

obviously if you attach an aps-c lens, then the camera will apply a 1.6 crop automatically

Colin46's gear list:Colin46's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Advent1sam
OP Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

Colin46 wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

Can’t see the point in a camera crop,

We are all different, Sony includes the 1.5x crop and others eg Nikon have all provided 1.3 crops too, it makes perfect sense to me, to provide better framing in camera.

just crop in post to where you want.

sure

obviously if you attach an aps-c lens, then the camera will apply a 1.6 crop automatically

sure, but I won't, not interested in shooting 1.6x crop

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,752
Easy, so Canon can sell an APSC R7 @$1499 to compete against Fuji XT4

I get you. One of the Big Advantage of filming with Sony A7 series is the ability to switch to a crop mode on the fly. A single focus length prime effectively become 2 lens. I think Canon is limiting it to sell us an APSC R7 @$1499 to compete against Fuji XT4.

With R6 price at relatively high $2500, I think there is a GAP assuming EOS-R will not get a replacement.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Re: Easy, so Canon can sell an APSC R7 @$1499 to compete against Fuji XT4

007peter wrote:

I get you. One of the Big Advantage of filming with Sony A7 series is the ability to switch to a crop mode on the fly. A single focus length prime effectively become 2 lens. I think Canon is limiting it to sell us an APSC R7 @$1499 to compete against Fuji XT4.

With R6 price at relatively high $2500, I think there is a GAP assuming EOS-R will not get a replacement.

I switch to crop mode on the fly with my RP. Extra reach. Smaller file size. I can frame in camera the way I want. If I know I won’t be blowing up a picture from vacation beyond a collage in a photo album, why not crop?  10.1 megapixels is enough for 300 PPI on an 8x10.

I mapped it in my menu and mapped many access to my down key. Real quick switching now.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more

JustUs7 wrote:

007peter wrote:

I switch to crop mode on the fly with my RP. Extra reach. Smaller file size. I can frame in camera the way I want. If I know I won’t be blowing up a picture from vacation beyond a collage in a photo album, why not crop? 10.1 megapixels is enough for 300 PPI on an 8x10.

I mapped it in my menu and mapped many access to my down key. Real quick switching now.

I crop during PP. Same difference I think

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
scrup Regular Member • Posts: 464

Colin46 wrote:

Screenshot this.

A crop camera will come to the R line. Not a matter of if, but when.

scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more

scrup wrote:

Colin46 wrote:

Screenshot this.

A crop camera will come to the R line. Not a matter of if, but when.

I don’t think so. COVID is putting a big dent in the world economy. On top of that 35mm film was a standard for decades before digital came out. The first DSLR’s came out as crops because FF sensor tech was not there for many years and would have been far too expensive. When it did come out FF sensors where expensive.

We are cycling back to film sized legacy and the modern FF sensors are now affordable to do it.

-- hide signature --

quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,916

Zeee wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

007peter wrote:

I switch to crop mode on the fly with my RP. Extra reach. Smaller file size. I can frame in camera the way I want. If I know I won’t be blowing up a picture from vacation beyond a collage in a photo album, why not crop? 10.1 megapixels is enough for 300 PPI on an 8x10.

With a DSLR you may have a point, but on mirrorless crop mode will fill the entire EVF with the cropped picture, enlarging the subject and making framing and focusing easier.

As for cropping during PP, that's fine if you want to adjust the cropped frame one by one, but if you engage crop mode you're shooting with the center crop to begin with. So why bother inserting a manual step? The presence of a crop mode does not preclude you from doing everything manually to your liking, so I do not understand why you are so hostile to the concept.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
JustUs7 Contributing Member • Posts: 876

quiquae wrote:

Zeee wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

007peter wrote:

With a DSLR you may have a point, but on mirrorless crop mode will fill the entire EVF with the cropped picture, enlarging the subject and making framing and focusing easier.

As for cropping during PP, that's fine if you want to adjust the cropped frame one by one, but if you engage crop mode you're shooting with the center crop to begin with. So why bother inserting a manual step? The presence of a crop mode does not preclude you from doing everything manually to your liking, so I do not understand why you are so hostile to the concept.

Exactly this. We were driving by a few elk in a National Park yesterday. Out in the field a bit. Grazing. I had plenty of time to frame in the EVF. With crop mode, my 24-240 could reach 384mm.  Perfect for what I needed. Plus smaller files on the card. I won’t be hanging those on the wall, but they’ll make the photo album of this trip.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 1000D Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +3 more
stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 669

quiquae wrote:

Zeee wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

007peter wrote:

I'm trying to work out where you think he's been hostile.

I understand the time saving in cropping in camera but, for me, I like the flexibility of having the larger file to play as it gives the option of alternative framing that I may not have seen at the time of shooting. I don't tend to use loads of the photos I shoot, but prefer to process just a few of the best. Each to their own

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads