Welcome to Candyland.

-- hide signature --

Long Distance Hiker: AT, PCT, CTx2, TMB, TRT
Galleries: www.jaredweberphotography.com
Instagram: Jared.M.Weber

tarakanchik Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: Alpenglow and Wildflowers.

Looks fantastic!

Just curious how many images it takes to stack this?  Would I be able to get away with as few as 3 for something like this?

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

jmw4
OP jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 818

tarakanchik wrote:

Looks fantastic!

Just curious how many images it takes to stack this? Would I be able to get away with as few as 3 for something like this?

Foreground is a focus stack of 3 images!

-- hide signature --

tarakanchik Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

That's good to know, thanks!

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,124

Yowza, another winner! How many of these images have you taken over the years? You seem to have a lot of them and many are really excellent so you've got your photo craft down.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
jmw4
  1. mfinley wrote:

Yowza, another winner! How many of these images have you taken over the years? You seem to have a lot of them and many are really excellent so you've got your photo craft down.

Thanks Mike! I have about 40,000 RAW files from the past 3 years. Many have never been opened up and worked on. I’m a father, husband, and full time worker in a family business so the opportunity to edit only comes late at night when I have enough energy and am feeling creative/inspired. When I do get a chance to shoot, I shoot like crazy and collect RAWs to work on when the time permits. One day I’ll be able to travel and shoot full time! Until then I’ll keep dreaming!

-- hide signature --

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,437

jmw4 wrote:

Welcome to Candyland.

this is what i call excellent composition and you should feel privileged to be there in that moment! this scene is amazingly beautiful.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

hapster
hapster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,844

Really stunning capture as well PP to produce this final image!

H

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +2 more
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,146

Great picture Jared! Nice stacking job too...

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,035

hapster wrote:

Really stunning capture as well PP to produce this final image!

H

Seconded.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 6,597

Magical, I can even smell the mountain air.

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Barry Duggan Photography
Barry Duggan Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

Some distortion in the foreground but I don't really mind that. Very atmospheric. Perhaps needs to be brightened?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Barry.
Website - barryduggan.com
Email - barrydduggan@gmail.com
Twitter - @barrydduggan

Barry Duggan Photography's gear list:Barry Duggan Photography's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
jmw4

Barry Duggan Photography wrote:

Some distortion in the foreground but I don't really mind that. Very atmospheric. Perhaps needs to be brightened?

I tried to brighten it but it just kept looking off. I agree it would be nice if it could be brightened, unfortunately I kept finding the image was loosing its twilight feeling and was looking too fake when brightened too much. I’ll def have to brighten it for print though, dark/evening shots like this can be a bit tough to pull off in print!😐

-- hide signature --

joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,138

Wow! although the mountain top and the colored cloud behind the mountain does not go together. It is a beautiful fantasy land though.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,124

jmw4 wrote:

1. mfinley wrote:

Thanks Mike! I have about 40,000 RAW files from the past 3 years. Many have never been opened up and worked on. I’m a father, husband, and full time worker in a family business so the opportunity to edit only comes late at night when I have enough energy and am feeling creative/inspired. When I do get a chance to shoot, I shoot like crazy and collect RAWs to work on when the time permits. One day I’ll be able to travel and shoot full time! Until then I’ll keep dreaming!

pretty Interesting.

Hey, what's your lens of choice when you shoot these, you seem to not have any focus breathing issues which I've ran into too much with my Olympus zooms.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
jmw4

mfinley wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

1. mfinley wrote:

pretty Interesting.

Hey, what's your lens of choice when you shoot these, you seem to not have any focus breathing issues which I've ran into too much with my Olympus zooms.

I use the SEL10-18mm f4 on Sony APSC cameras mainly these days because it’s small, light, and still pretty sharp at f8-f11. Keeping my kit as small and light as possible is essential while I’m backpacking, so I’ve mostly ditched the full frame setup. I do notice a tiny bit of focus breathing on the 10-18, but it’s usually corrected by using the auto-align function before I try to stack them into a single image.

-- hide signature --

Pentax645 Regular Member • Posts: 466

Well done....a stunner.

..........Larry

Pentax645's gear list:Pentax645's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +5 more
Pentax645 Regular Member • Posts: 466

jmw4 wrote:

I tried to brighten it but it just kept looking off. I agree it would be nice if it could be brightened, unfortunately I kept finding the image was loosing its twilight feeling and was looking too fake when brightened too much. I’ll def have to brighten it for print though, dark/evening shots like this can be a bit tough to pull off in print!😐

Interesting comment. Exposure wise, I have done it dark as well. Not sure why that wouldn't translate to a print?

Pentax645's gear list:Pentax645's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +5 more
jmw4

Pentax645 wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

Interesting comment. Exposure wise, I have done it dark as well. Not sure why that wouldn't translate to a print?

I guess what I mean by pulling off a dark print is: there’s a fine line between the print being too dark, or looking artificially bright for the scene if it’s an evening shot.

-- hide signature --

Luke Forrest Contributing Member • Posts: 712

Love your work!

Luke Forrest's gear list:Luke Forrest's gear list
Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads