Will we ever see top plate display on the A7 series ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Will we ever see top plate display on the A7 series ?

With existing layout and thickness of the A7 series

It seems difficult to squeeze in a reasonable sized display on the top plate ?

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 8,882
Re: Will we ever see top plate display on the A7 series ?

goshigoo wrote:

It seems to me that there could be plenty of room on the left.

Maxxum Fan Regular Member • Posts: 452

Barugon wrote:

goshigoo wrote:

It seems to me that there could be plenty of room on the left.

Exactly tons of room or move the mode dial to the left put the display on the right

Rather that than the empty space

They could ditch the exposure comp dial IMO too, move it to under the mode dial on the left of the camera or put a drive mode dial there

JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 359

For those of us over 50, even reading the small print on the old top plate displays was always a problem. On my old Sony A77, I never could read it without switching from my normal glasses to my reading glasses. In other words, it was fairly useless.

With today great EVFs and LCD back panels showing all of the exposure information I need, I  see no need to go back to the obsolete top plate display technology.

Kevin

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,843

goshigoo wrote:

With the existing size, if there is one, it would probably be quite tiny unless they remove one of the dials.

I personally find the top plate pretty useless. We're generally composing via the viewfinders and the viewfinders can hold all the information we need.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
OP goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918

Cato1040 wrote:

goshigoo wrote:

With the existing size, if there is one, it would probably be quite tiny unless they remove one of the dials.

That's my point!

But I hope they can move the mode dial to the left and include a small OLED display

I personally find the top plate pretty useless. We're generally composing via the viewfinders and the viewfinders can hold all the information we need.

I kinda agree, but it's nice to have one

Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 806

I wouldn't use it if they did add one. Before live view mode the top lcd was useful for seeing and adjusting your settings without having to have your eye in the viewfinder. Then the back screens on DSLRs starting showing that information.  With mirrorless cameras you can see your exposure (and settings). Seeing real time exposure made a top lcd kind of irrelevant. Why look at the top of the camera to see your settings when you can not only see the settings on the back lcd but see the actual exposure.

I never really used the top lcd on my Canons. I would click into live view, set my exposure, then click out of live view and shoot, that way I knew what my exposure would be and could just fire away. I'll take a full touchscreen over a top lcd every day of the week.

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
A-Marc
A-Marc Contributing Member • Posts: 609

goshigoo wrote:

i dont get why people ask for a top plate display !

sony offers us a "quick navi" display with even more options than a top plate display can ever hold.

this i more readable and practical than the top display, and its already there, you just need to activate it and use it with an easy 90C flip of the camera to see it.

A-Marc's gear list:A-Marc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 750

JerseySailor wrote:

With today great EVFs and LCD back panels showing all of the exposure information I need, I see no need to go back to the obsolete top plate display technology.

Exactly! I prefer having the exposure compensation dial and the drive/AF mode dial of the A9.

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,956

In SLR era, there wasn't any other display, but the top-down LCD. So it was necessary. In DSLR era, it became a bit less useful, but still, it was convenient to leave the main LCD off all the time to conserve power, and control your settings using the top LCD only.

In MILC the power question is entirely different. Major power drain comes from the sensor and CPU, not from main LCD backlight. Switching it on and off doesn't make a difference. So the lop LCD became completely redundant, as main LCD is on all the time, so you can always take a look at your settings. Therefore it's doubtful that we'll ever see the top LCD on Sony, and even Canon removed it in $2500 body.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov
«Often the difference between a good and a bad sample of the same lens is bigger than that between two different lenses» — Bastian K.

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787

Hope not.

OP goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918

C47 wrote:

JerseySailor wrote:

With today great EVFs and LCD back panels showing all of the exposure information I need, I see no need to go back to the obsolete top plate display technology.

Exactly! I prefer having the exposure compensation dial and the drive/AF mode dial of the A9.

I do also prefer the drive/AD mode dial !

but I don't think Sony is going to include them in A7 series

kamituel
kamituel Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

JerseySailor wrote:

For those of us over 50, even reading the small print on the old top plate displays was always a problem. On my old Sony A77, I never could read it without switching from my normal glasses to my reading glasses. In other words, it was fairly useless.

Kevin

FWIW, my sight is good, and I don't see much use of this screen either.

I will admit though that it looks kinda cool on Nikon Z7

-- hide signature --
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 4,423

never, if i had my way.

it's totally unnecessary on milc.

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 1,832

goshigoo wrote:

my guess is yes. I find it quite useful, even if 3 displays on a camera seems superfluous.

maybe it could fit on top of on or more of the dials

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,489

It's not entirely useless, but close to it, on mirrorless cameras. I think the main reason Canon and Nikon have them is, again, for familiarity for migrating DSLR users. And that is a valid reason.

While the A7 series may have room for it, the A9 does not, and I don't see Sony adding such a thing only on some of the cameras in the lineup, nor removing manual controls in favor of a redundant display. I also think they've largely stuck to their guns about control layouts on the E mount cameras... with the addition of the joystick in the III series being probably the biggest change. I think a joystick is good, but I wish they had found a way to keep the Focus/AE switch, too.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
syd06 Junior Member • Posts: 41

Would rather see some kind of timer incorporated onto the LCD screen for long exposures.

syd06's gear list:syd06's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads