Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
Re: It wouldn't make financial sense

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

Rakumi wrote:

I totally get what you are saying but this is all under the assumption that Canon continues making their lenses, just not new ones and that they stop making new bodies. And even though you are right that there are plenty of other companies with their own lenses, it is just the idea that all those Canon users of EF are left on the table. Surely a lost profit. Isnt that why this thread was started?

Canon supports the EF lens on the RF mount. The adapter isn't even that expensive.

The people who *might* be left on the table are the people with EF lenses that need a DSLR. I'm sure that's a reasonably sized market, but experience would suggest it is too small a market to justify making a DSLR from pretty much scratch.

Canon does not have to or will not make 5D V from scratch. It does not make sense.

They will use parts from R5, and 1D iii and put together a very nice 5DV with minimum R&D.

I agree.  My point was that Canon is the only company in a good position to make a successor to the 5DIV.  If they decide not to (which may have been decided, but has not been communicated to the public), no one else will.

A previous poster had speculated a third party could take over.  I find this unlikely for the reasons stated above.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,054
Re: it's over

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

These days, partly because of mobile phones, the market is shrinking.

No, not because of phones. It’s that small P&S image sensors have gotten good enough for family and personal snapshots. They are just in a small and much more convenient form factor (handheld internet tablet) than in even a small camera let alone a heavy dslr with big lens

Then it is much more important to keep current customers as getting new customers is difficult. However, I don't have enough information, this may be wrong.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Will T
Will T Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

That will be a very long wait.

I am waiting for the 1R!

-- hide signature --

Will T.
"Galleries don't hang DxO charts" David Hull

Maverick07 Regular Member • Posts: 242

RedFox88 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

No, not because of phones. It’s that small P&S image sensors have gotten good enough for family and personal snapshots. They are just in a small and much more convenient form factor (handheld internet tablet) than in even a small camera let alone a heavy dslr with big lens

Then it is much more important to keep current customers as getting new customers is difficult. However, I don't have enough information, this may be wrong.

Black Grouse;

Really not because of the phone? emm let's see take a picture with image quality rivaling an SLR, immediately send image out to family/friends almost NRT. So compact it fits almost  anywhere. No need to buy or carry additional lens. No lugging a 20 lb ruck.

Hello Canon, real soon it is good by Canon unless there is a major change in support of the DSLR for the prosumer.

jayrandomer

Maverick07 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Black Grouse;

Really not because of the phone? emm let's see take a picture with image quality rivaling an SLR, immediately send image out to family/friends almost NRT. So compact it fits almost anywhere. No need to buy or carry additional lens. No lugging a 20 lb ruck.

Hello Canon, real soon it is good by Canon unless there is a major change in support of the DSLR for the prosumer.

I don't think phone image quality is up to even 10 year old APS-C DSLRs with kit lens.  At least comparing the old T2i that I let my daughters use to my wife's iPhone 11.

That doesn't mean the phone can't take great images, especially in less challenging light, but DSLRs are still noticeably better.  I think the bigger issue is that both are way above the threshold for "good enough to record the moment".  I would say 99% of the photos I share are from my (now very old) iPhone 6.

Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,751

jayrandomer wrote:

I don't think phone image quality is up to even 10 year old APS-C DSLRs with kit lens. At least comparing the old T2i that I let my daughters use to my wife's iPhone 11.

That doesn't mean the phone can't take great images, especially in less challenging light, but DSLRs are still noticeably better. I think the bigger issue is that both are way above the threshold for "good enough to record the moment". I would say 99% of the photos I share are from my (now very old) iPhone 6.

The phone pictures are meant to be viewed on a phone screen or this from a tablet.
And on that screen they look beautiful.
This satisfies 99% of the need to save moments.

If those phone jpeg photographers decide to print a large and expensive photo book, then they are surprised about the poor print quality on paper, usually it's up to the supplier of these books, who just can print poorly, look how good that picture is on my phone, and how bad in my book.
99% of phone photographers know absolutely nothing about photography.

Jozef

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
jayrandomer

Jozef M wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

I don't think phone image quality is up to even 10 year old APS-C DSLRs with kit lens. At least comparing the old T2i that I let my daughters use to my wife's iPhone 11.

That doesn't mean the phone can't take great images, especially in less challenging light, but DSLRs are still noticeably better. I think the bigger issue is that both are way above the threshold for "good enough to record the moment". I would say 99% of the photos I share are from my (now very old) iPhone 6.

The phone pictures are meant to be viewed on a phone screen or this from a tablet.
And on that screen they look beautiful.
This satisfies 99% of the need to save moments.

If those phone jpeg photographers decide to print a large and expensive photo book, then they are surprised about the poor print quality on paper, usually it's up to the supplier of these books, who just can print poorly, look how good that picture is on my phone, and how bad in my book.
99% of phone photographers know absolutely nothing about photography.

Jozef

Yeah.  80% of the photos I print are from 'real' cameras.  The remaining 20% are photo books with collages of the little ones, never bigger than 4x6 on the page and usually a lot smaller.

I know it's swimming upstream at this point, but I have convinced a few people disappointed with photo prints from their camera to spend a little money on refurb Rebel DSLRs.  Considering how cheap they can be on sale (often < $300 with kit lens) they can take amazing photos.  Of course those cheaper cameras can be a gateway drug...

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,406

RedFox88 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I meant that the cameras (sensor, lens, AF etc.) in mobile phones are good enough for the majority of the group of people taking pictures. They don't need an extra camera.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Maverick07 Regular Member • Posts: 242

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I meant that the cameras (sensor, lens, AF etc.) in mobile phones are good enough for the majority of the group of people taking pictures. They don't need an extra camera.

Concur with most are content with shooting knowing very little about photography then posting to social media. I really believe software exist to increase size while maintaining quality.

Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,530
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Digitalshooter2 wrote:

I like many things in R5. I wish 5D Mark IV had flippy screen, and 45MP and faster FPS. Don't care about 8K video. Love new RF lenses too.

But, reading between the interview lines and what Canon has been saying, there will be Canon 5D Mark V coming in early 2021. I hope it will have all these new goodies too. I am waiting for 5D Mark V. Until then, 5D Mark IV is working great for me.

2ShootDigital

Sounds like the D850

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads