Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Re: I don't think there will be a 5DV
1

RogerZoul wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Maverick07 wrote:

I am waiting for the 5D5 as well. Until it is released I will stay with my D3. If it does not come, oh well Canon will have lost a customer. Not opposed to change, rather do not appreciate being forced to a new platform.

Well said, being a birder means looking through binos for hours. being a bird photographer means looking through the viewfinder for hours.

Looking through binos and spotting scopes for long periods is already extremely tiring. The last thing we want is an EVF and get a headache.

Sports photographers must have the same experience as they are also waiting for that rare moment.

These two customer groups are not opposed to change, they don't want a new tool that is a step backwards.

Come now, BlackGrouse....you don't look through a VF for hours, you may be out there for hours, but must of it won't be spent looking through a VF. The very act of looking though one for hours will give you a headache, no matter if it is optical or electronic. And the 120 Hz refresh rate should help those who do get headaches from a EVF.

Many days I do, especially when in more static positions where the camera is the only tool you use. Then, you wait for the birds, pick them up with the OVF and follow them constantly. Often, I even use manual focus because BBF and IS cost too much battery life.

Sounds crazy? Think about shooting sports, try a soccer game.

Yes, on a hiking day (hiking first, shooting second) the OVF time is much less. But my point is that there are user groups that simply need an OVF. That said, we may assume that the EVF will be good enough in a few years.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,610
Re: Wait for 5D5 — count me in
1

RogerZoul wrote:

DotCom Editor wrote:

JamesK wrote:

Came close this morning to jumping on the 5R. Spent about an hour calculating sale price for my Mark III and a few lenses. Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed. I tried the RP and although a nice camera I just could not get used to the “small” form factor. I really like size and feel of a dslr. So patiently going to wait till 4th quarter and hope some announcement from Canon for a Mark V. Happy shooting everyone.

  • I am perfectly content with my 5D4 and would be in no rush to replace it.
  • I will wait for the 5D5 and possibly purchase it, but not until at least a year after its introduction and its first permanent price reduction.
  • My guess is that you'll have to wait a lot longer than Q4 2020 to see a 5D5. A debut in the fall of 2022 could be more likely. That means I wouldn't buy one until 2023 or 2024.
  • I will not buy an R5, because I believe the series has at least one more iteration to go before it reaches total maturity. That means possibly another two or three years down the road. I have no facts regarding this, only utter speculation and wild guesswork. Can you say "R5 Mark II?"
  • I'm not replacing my EF glass, so I don't really see much of a benefit in going to a smaller body, other than the higher MP resolution.

Your bullet #4 is just incorrect. What you see in the r5 was perfected in the 1DX3 and it actually an iteration beyond that camera since it now gives you coverage 100% in both directions. The r5 and r6 are fully mature cameras as much as the 5D4 was and will ever be. I certainly am not replacing my EF glass either, but Canon is not even trying to force that on us. If you add the grip to the r5/r6, it will be close enough in size to the 5D4 that there is just no missing it. I see the higher resolution, the higher fps, the eye and face tracking for animals and people to be huge benefits over what all the DSLRs have now. IBIS will make video through the VF a real thing. It is just miles ahead and DSLRs are practically dead. While have said many times that I would love to see a 7D3 show up, I am now doubting that will happen because Canon will soon be leading the market in the ML area and there will be little reason to keep in making DSLRs since they are so far behind ML in capability.

Yep, not disagreeing with anything you've said. My 5D4 is a great camera and will serve me for years to come. Fortunately, I have the luxury of not needing to upgrade, so I can sit by and watch and wait and watch and wait. The 5R's 47MP is the only feature I'd like to have. And I'm certainly not ready to relegate OVF to the scrap heap of history. YMMV.

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,610
Re: Wait for 5D5 — count me in

Mika Y. wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

Your bullet #4 is just incorrect. What you see in the r5 was perfected in the 1DX3 and it actually an iteration beyond that camera since it now gives you coverage 100% in both directions. The r5 and r6 are fully mature cameras as much as the 5D4 was and will ever be. I certainly am not replacing my EF glass either, but Canon is not even trying to force

Isn't it a bit early to state this, until there are reviews about the actual finished product rather than pre-release versions of the camera as well as experiences from actual end users like us?

I do personally think R5 and R6 are unlikely to have major quirks and are likely viable successors for the 5D and 6D series, but I wouldn't be completely surprised to find out there are some non-trivial issues/bugs that need to be addressed.

In 1889, Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office. He is widely quoted as having stated that the patent office would soon shrink in size, and eventually close, because, “Everything that can be invented has been invented.”

Similarly, anyone who believes the R5 is as finished as finished can be, and that we will never need an R5 Mark II (or Mark III) is likely mistaken.

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
ossme Contributing Member • Posts: 856
It might never happen, but we can all hope.

Canon released those amazing cameras to push users to upgrade towards the RF system.

Releasing a DSLR would be counterproductive.

However, converting the R5 to 5D Mark 5 is not hard or costly. So, maybe?

 ossme's gear list:ossme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

To me, the biggest limitation of FF DSLRs are the limited AF area coverage. If 5D5 would have as much AF area coverage as 90D, that would be great. 7DII or the mirrorless cameras have even larger AF area coverage, but I personally do not feel the need of that much coverage.

5D4 AF area ceoverage

90D AF area coverage

Now if it really is technically possible to make AF area this large (like 90D) - I do not know. If 1DXIII is any indication, it seems that FF AF area coverage has reached it's limit.

If the AF area coverage could be made as large as 90D, tracking technologies like face-, eye-, head- detection could be truly useful. Otherwise we often put faces and eyes out of the current AF area coverage, so even if an FF DSLR offers face and head detection through OVF (like 1DXIII) that is not always very useful.

 KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,254
thousands?

There are thousands and thousands of photographers happy to spend up on new model SLRs, but unimpressed by the mirrorless stuff, especially the viewfinders, which suck.

How about millions? In today's market, you know how insignificant that is? What would you expect the 5DV to do that the IV won't? How many will just keep their III or IV and save a few thousand?

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,610
Re: thousands?
1

tko wrote:

What would you expect the 5DV to do that the IV won't? How many will just keep their III or IV and save a few thousand?

What did people expect the 5D4 would do that the 5D3 did not? What did people expect the 5D3 would do that the 5D2 did not? And on and on.

The Canon 1D, announced in 2001, delivered a whopping 4-megapixel image for $4,900. I doubt anyone dreamed there would ever be a camera that delivered an image of 47 MP — at any price.

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,610
Re: Wait for 5D5 — count me in

RogerZoul wrote:

Mika Y. wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

Your bullet #4 is just incorrect. What you see in the r5 was perfected in the 1DX3 and it actually an iteration beyond that camera since it now gives you coverage 100% in both directions. The r5 and r6 are fully mature cameras as much as the 5D4 was and will ever be. I certainly am not replacing my EF glass either, but Canon is not even trying to force

Isn't it a bit early to state this, until there are reviews about the actual finished product rather than pre-release versions of the camera as well as experiences from actual end users like us?

I do personally think R5 and R6 are unlikely to have major quirks and are likely viable successors for the 5D and 6D series, but I wouldn't be completely surprised to find out there are some non-trivial issues/bugs that need to be addressed.

Bugs don't make a system not mature. Bugs are a fact of life. Given that the AF system in the r5/r6 is basically the same one in the 1Dx3, and that camera shoots like a demon, I feel confident in saying these are mature systems, as that is what Canon is best at. Let us not forget there is the R, the RP, and all of the M-series cameras with the latest one being the M6 mark 2 with a 32 MP sensor. Canon knows its game. Other than 8k video, there is little that is totally new in these bodies.

I did not say the R5 isn't mature. I did say IMHO there's at least one more iteration until the platform reaches "total maturity."

Many thought the 5D2 was as good as it gets. Yet, the 5D3 was more mature. And the 5D4 was astoundingly more mature. So, who is to say what lies ahead?

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: It might never happen, but we can all hope.

ossme wrote:

Canon released those amazing cameras to push users to upgrade towards the RF system.

Releasing a DSLR would be counterproductive.

However, converting the R5 to 5D Mark 5 is not hard or costly. So, maybe?

From sansmirror ... at the Canon launch presentation:

Canon is all in with full frame mirrorless. This was expected, but now we've hit that point. Several times the message was a stark "time to transition from DSLR." Given how good Canon's DSLRs are and how much market share they have, this is probably the most important point of any Canon made today. They've hinted at it in the past, but today they showed us what they really mean.

Jozef

 Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,170
Re: Wait for 5D5 — count me in

jayrandomer wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

EG wrote:

I seriously doubt there will be a 5DM5.

Canon will lose the dSLR market if that statement is true.

Canon will have abandoned the DSLR market if that is true.

Either way, same result.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,990
Nope
2

Read any of the prior threads on the subject for my comments.

Interestingly, this afternoon I pulled out my 5dmkiv to shoot some birds/BIF.  It’s been some time as my normal rig has been a Sony a9 which I just sold to fund the R5.  Had my 5dmkiv paired to my 500 is ii and tc.  It’s been forever since I used it last and I forgot how good this camera really is.  IQ is great, files are clean, and one can’t beat the Canon color profile.  The af is about 60-70% of the a9 so about on par with their a7 series.  Used, the 5dmkiv can be had for $1600.  It’s a crazy bargain.

Rakumi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361
Canon needs a change anyway

Canon needs to streamline their lineup.  They have way too many camera bodies and with the dying DSLR market, this is the perfect time.  One Rebel line, one pro APS-C, the 5D line (at 6D prices).  That is all they need.  It saves them money and sales must be bad anyway so in this case with less options equals more sales of each model.  Just my thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

 Rakumi's gear list:Rakumi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 60D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,966
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

JamesK wrote:

Came close this morning to jumping on the 5R. Spent about an hour calculating sale price for my Mark III and a few lenses. Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed. I tried the RP and although a nice camera I just could not get used to the “small” form factor. I really like size and feel of a dslr. So patiently going to wait till 4th quarter and hope some announcement from Canon for a Mark V. Happy shooting everyone.

i think with the introduction of 1DxIII, i believe we saw the end of dslrs. so hang on to your dslrs if you have them! i am really tempted to get 5Ds for the price that it is going--i already have the 5DsR and love it. R5 is a long way away from my consideration at this time.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

an_also
an_also Regular Member • Posts: 496
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

1Dx4me wrote:

JamesK wrote:

Came close this morning to jumping on the 5R. Spent about an hour calculating sale price for my Mark III and a few lenses. Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed. I tried the RP and although a nice camera I just could not get used to the “small” form factor. I really like size and feel of a dslr. So patiently going to wait till 4th quarter and hope some announcement from Canon for a Mark V. Happy shooting everyone.

i think with the introduction of 1DxIII, i believe we saw the end of dslrs. so hang on to your dslrs if you have them! i am really tempted to get 5Ds for the price that it is going--i already have the 5DsR and love it. R5 is a long way away from my consideration at this time.

You could be right. Read this over at canon rumours

”I haven’t heard a peep about a new Canon DSLR in a very long time. An EOS 5D Mark V probably has a place in the market, but I’m not sure if Canon agrees.”

-- hide signature --
 an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +2 more
txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V
1

I am 100% certain that there will NOT be another DSLR 5D series camera. Canon is wanting its users to go the mirrorless route, which is why they are pretty much exclusively developing for the R-mount on its lenses, and they have dropped off the EF lenses.

The only reason there was a 1DX Mark 3, is because Canon knew there is a solid enough professional base, that depends on the tried and true form of that professional line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, and more. The 5D, 6D series are gone the way of the Dodo, and are now known as the R5/R6. Eventually, there will be an R1 model to replace the 1DX line, but this may be a while until Canon can get form factor and battery life where it needs to be for professional photographers.

From a financial perspective, this is a wise move for Canon to make, in dropping the full frame enthusiast DSLR line. At least for a while, the only new DSLRs you will see from Canon, will be entry level models (and maybe one or two enthusiast models), that they can sell fast and cheap (minus the enthusiast models, like a 90D successor).

 txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V
2

txsizzler wrote:

The only reason there was a 1DX Mark 3, is because Canon knew there is a solid enough professional base, that depends on the tried and true form of that professional line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, and more.

Canon, are you listening?

The only reason there should be a 5DV, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

The only reason there should be a 7DIII, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough wildlife and sports photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

txsizzler wrote:

The only reason there was a 1DX Mark 3, is because Canon knew there is a solid enough professional base, that depends on the tried and true form of that professional line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, and more.

Canon, are you listening?

The only reason there should be a 5DV, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

The only reason there should be a 7DIII, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough wildlife and sports photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

With the exception of battery life, Canon DID listen to it's user base, by designing the R5/R6 largely with the DSLR counterparts in mind. Canon would be foolish to release more versions of it's enthusiast Full Frame DSLR counterparts, with it's heavy investment in the R mount. Perhaps it is you that is unwilling to accept the change that is forthcoming, and are holding out to what would be a largely niche product line with a continuation of the 5D/6D/7D series of DSLRS.

I own the 5D Mark IV, and use it in my real estate photography business. It does more than enough for me, and my needs for my business. That said, I can completely respect the fact that Canon is moving on to its mirrorless mount for support, and the company's future with it's imaging division. I also applaud Canon for waiting for mirrorless technology to mature enough where the company would be satisfied with releasing these newest full frame camera bodies, giving them the apparent edge with their respective technologies.

 txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,043
Re: What do you want in a Mark V?
1

What are you looking for in a Mark V that you cannot get in your current body or the Mark IV?

-- hide signature --

Randy

 Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V
1

txsizzler wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

txsizzler wrote:

The only reason there was a 1DX Mark 3, is because Canon knew there is a solid enough professional base, that depends on the tried and true form of that professional line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, and more.

Canon, are you listening?

The only reason there should be a 5DV, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

The only reason there should be a 7DIII, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough wildlife and sports photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

With the exception of battery life, Canon DID listen to it's user base, by designing the R5/R6 largely with the DSLR counterparts in mind. Canon would be foolish to release more versions of it's enthusiast Full Frame DSLR counterparts, with it's heavy investment in the R mount. Perhaps it is you that is unwilling to accept the change that is forthcoming, and are holding out to what would be a largely niche product line with a continuation of the 5D/6D/7D series of DSLRS.

I am unwilling to accept a step backwards, the EVF is not good enough for sports and wildlife.

I own the 5D Mark IV, and use it in my real estate photography business. It does more than enough for me, and my needs for my business. That said, I can completely respect the fact that Canon is moving on to its mirrorless mount for support, and the company's future with it's imaging division. I also applaud Canon for waiting for mirrorless technology to mature enough where the company would be satisfied with releasing these newest full frame camera bodies, giving them the apparent edge with their respective technologies.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

txsizzler wrote:

The only reason there was a 1DX Mark 3, is because Canon knew there is a solid enough professional base, that depends on the tried and true form of that professional line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, and more.

Canon, are you listening?

The only reason there should be a 5DV, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

The only reason there should be a 7DIII, is because Canon knows there is a solid enough wildlife and sports photographer base, that depends on the tried and true form of that line of cameras, not to mention it's ergonomics, long battery life, OVF and more.

I totally agree with you. Both 5DV and 7DIII have a huge demand and market out there. Canon can come up with both with very minimum R&D. All the parts needed are already in production in other camera Canon have. I am almost sure that both of these cameras will show up in late 2021 as Covid-19 gets a cure and a vaccine. There will be huge demand for everything as people will be so tired of being cooped up for 18 months by then.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads