Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JamesK Regular Member • Posts: 299
Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Came close this morning to jumping on the 5R. Spent about an hour calculating sale price for my Mark III and a few lenses. Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed. I tried the RP and although a nice camera I just could not get used to the “small” form factor. I really like size and feel of a dslr. So patiently going to wait till 4th quarter and hope some announcement from Canon for a Mark V. Happy shooting everyone.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,687
Re: Anyone else going to wait for 5D Mark V

Not particularly. I am thinking of moving to R5 but in no big hurry. I starting taking some videos so that may push me over the edge and the 800/11.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Leigh A. Wax Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

Since it's announcement, I'd planned on waiting until fall--Sept.-Oct.

By that time the reviews, pro's & cons will be digested, and prices leveled out.

Plus, Nature Photography, in Florida, is far more tolerable when the temperature recedes "a few" degrees. 

cjb Regular Member • Posts: 390
I don't think there will be a 5DV

I think the Canon 1DX3 and the Nikon D6 will the last of the great DSLRs.

Hope I'm wrong, but after seeing what they packed into the R5 and R6, I think Canon put all their resources from the 5D and 6D Product teams into those two new cameras. Looks like this has been the case for several years now. We're just seeing the results.

cjb's gear list:cjb's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +27 more
Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 801

I like many things in R5. I wish 5D Mark IV had flippy screen, and 45MP and faster FPS. Don't care about 8K video. Love new RF lenses too.

But, reading between the interview lines and what Canon has been saying, there will be Canon 5D Mark V coming in early 2021. I hope it will have all these new goodies too. I am waiting for 5D Mark V. Until then, 5D Mark IV is working great for me.

2ShootDigital

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,610
Wait for 5D5 — count me in

JamesK wrote:

Came close this morning to jumping on the 5R. Spent about an hour calculating sale price for my Mark III and a few lenses. Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed. I tried the RP and although a nice camera I just could not get used to the “small” form factor. I really like size and feel of a dslr. So patiently going to wait till 4th quarter and hope some announcement from Canon for a Mark V. Happy shooting everyone.

• I am perfectly content with my 5D4 and would be in no rush to replace it.
  • I will wait for the 5D5 and possibly purchase it, but not until at least a year after its introduction and its first permanent price reduction.
  • My guess is that you'll have to wait a lot longer than Q4 2020 to see a 5D5. A debut in the fall of 2022 could be more likely. That means I wouldn't buy one until 2023 or 2024.
  • I will not buy an R5, because I believe the series has at least one more iteration to go before it reaches total maturity. That means possibly another two or three years down the road. I have no facts regarding this, only utter speculation and wild guesswork. Can you say "R5 Mark II?"
  • I'm not replacing my EF glass, so I don't really see much of a benefit in going to a smaller body, other than the higher MP resolution.
 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
EG
EG Regular Member • Posts: 349
Re: Wait for 5D5 — count me in

I seriously doubt there will be a 5DM5.

Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 801

EG wrote:

I seriously doubt there will be a 5DM5.

Coming up with 5D5 makes is very logical. Use parts from R5 and 1DX III with a few twists and they get a 5D5 with minimum R&D. There are many lovers of 5D series who will buy it. so it makes perfect business sense too.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

EG
EG Regular Member • Posts: 349

I would definitely be interested in a 5D V - just don’t think it will happen.

Hope you are right!

Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,153

looks like there is NOT going to be a new 7d MKIII so I'll just stay with what I have--- a 6dMkII,  with 80d and 60d as backups

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 6DMkII sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s 35mm back in 1967 in RVN

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM +9 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

Yes, waiting for a 5D Mark V since there probably will be no 7DIII.

The 5D5 will be good enough for action photography and it will have a lot of megapixels to give enough 'reach' (cropping).

Besides, a full-frame is better for the small-scale landscapes I'm shooting, especially forests.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

BSfo2 Forum Member • Posts: 60

No way I'm going mirrorless, I want my optical viewfinder, and preferably a 100% 0.95x one....
-If thát make the camera bulkier, I don't give a däm, in fact, in thát case, the bulkier, the better....;- )

Bjarke

-- hide signature --

God Love the Quiet and Sweet of All Kind, live it and pass it on whenever You can....

OP JamesK Regular Member • Posts: 299

Still shows up as part of the Canon roadmap at Canon rumors and many other sites.  It has been consistently said that the Mark V will be the last in the series.  Release projections were initially late Q4 of 2020, but many people are now saying Q1 2021.  Only Canon knows for sure.

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
Nope. Waiting for the 5D6

Which I doubt will happen. I’ll keep the 5D4 until it can’t be fixed.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,053
You’ll be waiting..

You’ll be waiting a long time. Canon wants users to be to R models, in part to buy RF lenses. At best a 5D5 might be 2 years away if not 3.

TheBlackGrouse
Re: You’ll be waiting..

RedFox88 wrote:

You’ll be waiting a long time. Canon wants users to be to R models, in part to buy RF lenses. At best a 5D5 might be 2 years away if not 3.

Canon may want this but several groups of photographers don't want the EVF and don't want to work with adapters to use their glass.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,884
Re: I don't think there will be a 5DV

cjb wrote:

I think the Canon 1DX3 and the Nikon D6 will the last of the great DSLRs.

Hope I'm wrong, but after seeing what they packed into the R5 and R6, I think Canon put all their resources from the 5D and 6D Product teams into those two new cameras. Looks like this has been the case for several years now. We're just seeing the results.

Yeah, I think you're right. Canon has gone all in on the new mirrorless bodies and lenses. The good thing is that they are looking pretty good, especially the lenses. I'm hanging onto my 5D IV bodies for now, though.

Plus, with the intense competition, shrinking camera market and, don't forget, a pandemic that is knocking the heck out of many businesses I don't think we'll see a 5D V, darn it.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,356
I'm not sure there's going to be a 5D V

JamesK wrote:

Seems like the R5 will take the slot that may have been filled with a 5D V; ditto the 6D series.

What's not so clear is APS-C.  They do have the M series, but it's a completely different lens mount.

Mark

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,356

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Canon may want this but several groups of photographers don't want the EVF and don't want to work with adapters to use their glass.

I'm sure there were groups of photographers saying the same thing when AF lenses and the EF mount first came into being.

TheBlackGrouse

Mark B. wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I'm sure there were groups of photographers saying the same thing when AF lenses and the EF mount first came into being.

Of course, but these were improvements and by the way you can disable AF.

Admittedly, the new mount is an improvement too but the EVF is no match for the OVF when it comes to shooting sports, wildlife and all sorts of action. And that's the problem.

If they build a mirrorless with an optional OVF I'll buy it. The mirror is a blur introducing, noise making, weight adding nuisance anyway.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads