* The Weekly Image Thread 20 07 09 #451 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos
CalNature Senior Member • Posts: 1,552
Re: Caught A Thief

We no longer have bird feeders because it increased the rat population that then got under the house and between the walls and that needed a long effort to get rid of them.

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,165
Re: Still Life In The Garage.

I suspect the coffee got a little cold Harvey.  I have stopped making coffee before I start on a project as I know it will not be finished before it gets cold.  When it is just black I don't mind too much.

Andrew

Finally got this one!

In order to attract this Red-shoulder Hawk I erected a single fence piece as a perch. Sure enough, the hawk came to try to capture sparrows that have been attracted to our border region (I let a bunch of seed producing weeds to flourish). Here's the first photo. As soon as the bird catches a glimpse of me it abruptly leaves.

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 2,564

Zen indeed. Always feels good to work with your hands, let your brain idle a bit. Check a plug, check alignment if you need it or no. Adjust tire pressure. Actually fix something. Doesn't matter what you do, just that you do it.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +8 more
EZGritz

Long as it doesn't freeze you can drink it. Sometimes seems taste better cold.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +8 more
EZGritz

Worth it to let him have something to eat. Fun to watch them. They will eat it all or bury some of it for later if you let them.

19andrew47

A well caught image!

We have the one in the link below and the Big Top shown there as well.  More than I would pay for a bird feeder but they were gifts.  The Big Top is great!!!  Few squirrels make it to perch on the Flipper and those that do are quickly thrown.  Surprisingly though, they don't give up easily.

Andrew

EZGritz
Re: Finally got this one!

Great photo. Like to have some hawk photos. Won't get them so close to the city though we have them. Seattle Times printed photos of a growing Peregrine Falcon family that made a nest under a bridge and is feeding off pidgins.

19andrew47

A fine looking specimen Jeff.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: A Friday Sunrise

You are an early riser Bruce. It is not often I would be up early enough to catch a sunrise here, but has been know to happen. Earlier or later in the year often but near the beginning of July not so much.

Still looking at tripods.  I have two but neither are light.  I wanted to buy a twin lens like you used Bruce but it came after the Hasselblad I wanted.  Never got either.  I did have a Rollieflex 2.8 that I loved for portrait type photography.  Sold it too and regretted that as well.  No regrets about all the darkroom equipment other than I wish it had been a couple of years earlier when I would have gotten a bit more for it but I did ok on the sale considering.  The guy that bought the Rollie had a camera tech look at it and they overhauled the shutter saying it needed it.  I think they took him to the cleaners because it never let me down, ever!  There was a plastic cap missing but it was cosmetic.

Andrew

EZGritz

Not my coffee, Andrew. I suspect let it sit there for at least a day. I didn't ask him if I could have a swallow.

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,444
Re: A Friday Sunrise

bthomas001 wrote:

WhyNot wrote:

Nice .. I see it's green out there you must have had a good water year so far .... I confess that the 11-22 FT lens was one I always thought I should have as a walk around.... but never got around to buying .. and then MFT happened and the smaller equivalent lenses were more attractive but whenever I'm perusing the KEH or other on-line camera store and see a used one at those current prices I always stop and think about it ..... and then turn the page ...

Stay well ...

We are in extreme drought! This area is green only because it is a water catch-ment for a large VA Hosp parking lot, that is just outside of the frame.

I love my 11-22mm have had it for many years, was the first "better than kit" lens I bought for 4/3's. Paid full retail for it, when it first came out.

Am seriously considering buying a Pana/Leica D 25mm f1.4 for 4/3's. I don't "need it" but I want it

Eastern CO is always in a drought in summer  .. My memory is that a good water year in CO usually means we had a good snow pack from the winter before and the reservoirs were full ...  I've looked at that 25mm several times also but having a 20 and 30mm lens something would have to get retired .... for some reason I never liked that "normal' FOV ...

WhyNot

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 11,809
Old Pictures

Not much enthusiasm for it right now, but I guess I should keep my hand in. I have no new pictures so here are some oldies.

A couple of weeks after Halloween, 2004. I will not describe the metaphor.

My last hot rod, a Celica GT S type, the last rear drive Celica. Toyota added the fender flares to allow the huge and wide tires on the 8 inch wide wheels. They also added their straight 6 engine, 5 speed stick and elegant fully independent suspension to make it fast in any direction. I miss the sunroof and wonderful Recaro seats most of all.

Logging Douglas fir where there are no roads capable of log truck traffic.

When a Sikorsky Skycrane just won't do get yourself a Boeing Chinook.

Summer of '04, and for years after, we had a nasty sea lion hanging around.

This is the one, 12 years after the picture above.

Sea Lions are rarely aggressive, but are very intelligent and can move very quickly. They have a mouth full of long canine teeth with neck muscles like a bull. If this is your boat, best to try another day.

My third cousins. They (used to) call me Unca Rich, so I consider them nieces.

Their grandpa had given them packages of chocolate powder with lots of sugar meant to be stirred into a glass of milk. Who needs milk?

I had great fun with them and spent lots of time with them. They're 20+ years old now and I rarely see them. I miss them and these pictures me feel old, as few things do.

At the wonderful, yearly Fortuna Redwood Auto Expo, 2016. It was one of the best events here. Notice that I used the past tense.

Anyhow, this and the picture below of early 70s Jaguar E Type roadsters.

When you lift the bonnet which would you rather see?

This is the Jaguar Coventry V12. You can tell it's an early one by the SU carburetters instead of the later, troublesome first series Lucas fuel injection.

It really is under all that mess.

Yeah, it's beautiful. The XK engine was as beautiful to see as to feel.

It is what I would want to see when I raised the bonnet of my E Type roadster.

Having lunch on the patio of a local restaurant, I saw this directly above our table. Of course I had my camera in bag on the floor.

My companions at the table looked up to see what I was photographing, then ran, except for my brother. They did not come back. We then proceeded to eat my cousin's battered and deep fried artichoke hearts, zucchini and mushrooms. We then moved on to my other cousin's bacon wrapped and deep fried prawns. I tried to think of a way to thank the wasp for the picture and the grub, but decided to be ungrateful.

This was often the view from my kitchen window at my previous residence. The sunsets would notify me by lighting up the window and into the house.

This is fog mixed with smoke from an inland forest fire.

These pictures tell me that I definitely do not need a new camera, but I really do need some of Andrew's Retail Therapy. The M1.3 has more new bells and whistles than the M1.2 to occupy me and divert me from this slow-motion train wreck now just beginning to happen even way out here in the provinces. So, I'll likely end up with the M1.3

Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it is the train.

That's enough. Rich

There is at least one Peregrine Falcon that hangs out in Humboldt Bay, but usually very high up on transmission lines...out of focal reach!

Rich Z
Re: From Niagara on the Lake

Nice pictures, Andrew.  I'm happy you finally got out.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: Week @ Home – Birds

Nice pictures, WhyNot.  Huntsville had a parade?  Oh dear.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: Moon again

I think it's good, too.  Nice work, Oly.  Rich

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 7,639
Re: Dog Days of Summer

WhyNot wrote:

Fine looking dogs ... friends .. well photographed ... great IQ ...

Stay well and get back on the trails soon ...

WhyNot

Thanks, WN.  They are quite spoiled and we work hard to keep them that way.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 7,639
Re: Dog Days of Summer

CalNature wrote:

Two great dog breeds. In my family history we have had or now have them. Well currently, we just have a little hot dog. Adorable!

Yes, two interesting breeds.  We have had a couple of Aussies and a few Dachshunds over the years. The dachshunds are a hoot, this one in particular.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Rich Z
Re: 'Athos'

That's a beautiful ketch, Dave.  I bet it's even more so when fully rigged.  Rich

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads