Deep learning AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,265
Deep learning AF

Now that Canon also has this feature in two latest cameras I wonder what Olympus is waiting with an E-M1.3 firmware.
This camera is certainly capable of that??

-- hide signature --
 epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
magnesus3 Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Deep learning AF

Almost certainly the team that developed detecting trains with AI no longer works for Olympus, fired a years or so ago most likely. It explains why they got stuck at only trains and never updated that part of the firmware.

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,694

Seems like Olympus is waiting for the 150-400/4.5 lens announcement this winter.  At least last week they announced that both the lens and FW is coming in winter.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

They have announced AI for birds on the E-M1X so I guess there a few of them at Olympus still....

-- hide signature --

Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,764

TorsteinH wrote:

They have announced AI for birds on the E-M1X so I guess there a few of them at Olympus still....

It's probably just a difficult thing to program and get right. No surprise there.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
whumber
whumber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,290

Gary from Seattle wrote:

TorsteinH wrote:

It's probably just a difficult thing to program and get right. No surprise there.

I doubt there's all that much programming involved at this point other than potentially building some infrastructure to allow users to swap subject libraries in and out. Most of the work will be using the existing system to train new neural networks for different subject types, much of that can be mechanical turk type work or with existing training sets.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,541

Olympus has always suggested caviar, but produced fish eggs, re AF... Going back throughout their AF history in cameras. Not bad, but not what you hoped for. They also have always been a couple generations behind the best competitors. I suspect, if Olympus had continued, we would have got todays Canon AI BIF in about 5 years, so don't hold your breath for EM1.3 and X FW updates, if they even come. Used today, I get enough keepers to make a hacker like me happy, certainly a big jump up from my old EM1.1, but the X was never the game changer I hoped for... except for their existing AI modes that are very good. The promised FW update might prove me wrong, but unlikely... Planes, trains and automobiles are lot different to birds. Pelicans I can already get 95% keeper rate... let's see what even Canon can do with swallows!

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads